By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - splatoon or planys vs zombies ?

which one?

plants vs zombies garden warfare 62 19.56%

splatoon 225 70.98%

another game 5 1.58%

none of both 16 5.05%

both 9 2.84%

Total:317
midrange said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Nah, marketing is an excuse, of course Splatoon had a big marketing and that help it to have great sales at first (that does not justify the fact that the game has epic legs though) . But even when Nintendo does a big marketing campaign is still far from other companies campaigns, specially EA, Splatoon marketing was nothing close to any of the games you mention there, and you forget that Plants VS Zombies had a ton of marketing too, I saw adds in a lot of places, like happens with every single EA game on consoles, I haven´t seen a single Splatoon add in my country anywhere. So probably splatoon and PvZ had a very similar marketing, and even if Splatoon had a slighty bigger one, is still a new Ip on a console with Dreamcast level of sales VS a popular Ip with +200m userbase to sell the game, yet Splatoon wins here, and it does for a reason.

Excuse ... lol sorry but no. This is a truth. Splatoon had more marketing, and likewise would have better sales. The install base argument is also not as big as you are making it out to be. It would make sense that the console supported mainly by Nintendo fans would heavily support a new game by Nintendo. This argument is also pointless when you realize that sales =/= quality. Otherwise we have ridiculous claims like "mario party 10 is a way better game than bayonetta 2 cause salez!"

Whatever

Around the Network
midrange said:
Alkibiádēs said:
midrange said:
Goodnightmoon said:

It is usually a bad argument, but here we have an ambitious spin off of an established franchise that almost everyone knows and that was released in several systems at the same time, against a completely new franchise that nobody knew released only on the lowest selling console of the gen. And yet is the latter the one outselling the first. That happened for some reson, like Splatoon being way more addictive and feeling way more fresh.

Way to ignore the marketing difference. Marketing plays a ridiculous role in how games get sales. Marketing properly is what gave the biggest games today (cod, destiny, gta v) their status

Splatoon, as weird as it may be, is Nintendo's biggest game this year behind super mario maker. They spent a huge amount of money marketing the crap out of this game. Considering EA has bigger franchises to market (FIFA, Battlefield, Battlefront, Need for speed, Dragon age), it makes sense that they put little money into marketing this game which resulted in fewer sales.

The sales argument is one of the worst in this case given how marketing is unevenly applied

I have never seen a Splatoon ad on tv here. I love the hindsight, before Splatoon released everyone was sure it was going to bomb. Now you guys are trying to spin it as it was inevitable to sell over 3 million copies on the Wii U. Nintendo also has bigger franchises to market that didn't sell as well as Splatoon (Donkey Kong Country for starters).

There were, and still are, many splatoon ads that went on TV. 

No one is spinning anything. Splatoon has a huge amount of marketing going for it that plants vs zombies did not have. If you want to ignore this and say "splatoon has more sales so its better" then go ahead. May as well claim that cod is the best game of the generation while your at it

Except there aren't many ads. I barely see any Nintendo ads on tv outside of the holidays and usually it's the 3DS. I've never seen a Wii U ad and most people here don't even know what a Wii U is. In fact, I'm pretty sure Nintendo stopped selling games in my country all together, I need to import everything. And my friends outside of Greece have similar stories (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy Netherlands, etc.) about how poorly Nintendo's marketing is for the Wii U.

PvZ: GW wouldn't reach Splatoon sales no matter the marketing because it's just another shooter but with a PvZ skin. It's also online only. Keep spinning, I'm sure you were one of the people who thought it would bomb. Got to love hindsight. Meanwhile I can get PvZ: GW in pretty much any gaming store for €5. Good luck finding a Wii U game here!

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Semmie said:
Why are you generalising? Splatoon has been on tv. And it overwhelmed on the websites commercials. Plus the shilling of the many hardcore nin fans resulted everything. Oh no guess what? How many topics on her new dlc new weopon new festival. Come on. The game is good. But it isnt THAT good. Its worth the purchase and you will enjoy it for a long time based on who you are. I actually today switched back to back with pvz and splatoon. And i love pvz more and more. The matches in splatoon are to soon over. Its a very bald game if u count out the single player. Pvz on the other hand has many different play modes. And they take long. Its a deeper and wide game. More customisation more weopons morr weapon combo's more gadgets. Better graphics and a great map. Splatoon definetly has NOT the same amount of content. And the funny thing is that pvz didnt even bring a major dlc to be bigger. Pvz has still loads of maps. The only difference is that the wiiu slowly gives u more on cd content unlocked. Its a way of tricking. Again splatoon is freaking good. But dont go blind into this topic. Its a fact that pvz has more to give. But if u dont like it thats another thing. And if yoir a blind fanboy then i feel sorry for u being influenced and limiting yourself.

it seems you want to defend your fav game (pvz?). Its okay that you like it more, but objectivly its just not the better game.

there are probl also people who like devils third more then plants vs zombies, but objectivly pvz is better.

just check your own poll, see the results. nothing that needed to be discusses anymore. like i said, we have quality whise a probl 90+ game vs an 75 game on metacritic. not really a fair contest. splatoon is champions league and pvz is jut 2nd division.

Goodnightmoon said:
spemanig said:
PVZ by a mile. More complete game, even now.

Quantity is not quality. Splatoon is 10 times more addictive and it feels way more fresh.

have you ever played plants vs zombies?

o_O.Q said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Quantity is not quality. Splatoon is 10 times more addictive and it feels way more fresh.

have you ever played plants vs zombies?

Of course, that game got my attention pretty soon. And I like it, but I don´t find it nowhere near as good as Splatoon.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
twintail said:

And it didnt hook me as instantly as PvZ did in the same amount of time. PvZ was excellent the moment I began playing.

A couple of hours in MP is a good enough time to ascertain whether the concept and gameplay is to my liking or not. In this case, choice was rather easy.

Yes, the generic shooter with lovely skins over one of the most fresh and addictive games in years. Very easy.

lol pvz is generic? do you understand what the word means?

o_O.Q said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yes, the generic shooter with lovely skins over one of the most fresh and addictive games in years. Very easy.

Yes, on its chore is a generic tps, is a well done one, it has content and visually is lovely, but it is kind of generic, specially compared.

Goodnightmoon said:
o_O.Q said:

Yes, on its chore is a generic tps, is a well done one, it has content and visually is lovely, but it is kind of generic, specially compared.

can you explain how its generic?

o_O.Q said:
Goodnightmoon said:

can you explain how its generic?

It copied popular modes from other shooters and gave it a cartoony paint. It doesn't even have a campaign.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

The same could be said about splatoon. There were so many tps games long before splatoon during the days of the very first unreal and pso classic. There were free games doing this as well. Cod is generic and bf4(i like them to) but saying generic about pvz or splatoon is kinda far searched. Yes they both come from the familiar tps background. Pvz is a game on it own. But splatoon looks to much the same. In late nineties there were games with paint mods all the time. And there even was an official one on xbox.