By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police officer assaults school girl for in-school arrest

SvennoJ said:
Lawlight said:

The point is pretty simple. More coverage when the student is black. Was that officer fired like in this case? The one thing that we need to trust in is the police's ability to enforce law and order. Now they'll fear to do that due to any kind of backlash. That is why so much antisocial behaviour is possible in Australia.

He got a 40 day suspension. The one thing we need to do is to teach kids that the police is there to serve and protect. They're the people to turn to when you can't figure out a peaceful solution yourself, not to invite to do the dirty work. While the majority is very good at their job, a few bad apples can easily deteriorate any goodwill teenagers have for the police, especially with social media nowadays. All this does is reinforce distrust in the police. You don't solve anti social behaviour with violence, you can only suppress it.
Do you want to live in a society where the next generation only listens to authority out of fear?

And how do you suppress anti-social behaviour? What students learnt from this is that they can get away with a lot since the police cannot touch them.

And yes, I wish I lived in a society where the next generation only listens to authority out of fear as oppose to not listening to authority.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Lawlight said:

If the girl was white, this wouldn't be a story. And I'm not from any America.

I have to say this but because you are not from America, it proves you really do not know what you are talking about.  It would be a even bigger deal if the girl was white but for totally different reasons.  It shows people who recieve information from America only get filtered content just like the US only get filtered information from other countries.

Also you have to understand this incident went world wide because of the video more than the incident.  Incidents like this happen a lot more then you would think but until recently, never captured on video.  Its probably one of the biggest problems happening now is that a lot of cops are getting filmed doing stuff that would never make it outside of their town but with Youtube, Facebook and other social media, this stuff goes viral in days.

Maybe so but I can't remember the last time I heard of a police assault on a white person in the news. Why? Is that because it never happens or it's not as important and doesn't make great headlines?

Lawlight said:
SvennoJ said:
Lawlight said:

The point is pretty simple. More coverage when the student is black. Was that officer fired like in this case? The one thing that we need to trust in is the police's ability to enforce law and order. Now they'll fear to do that due to any kind of backlash. That is why so much antisocial behaviour is possible in Australia.

He got a 40 day suspension. The one thing we need to do is to teach kids that the police is there to serve and protect. They're the people to turn to when you can't figure out a peaceful solution yourself, not to invite to do the dirty work. While the majority is very good at their job, a few bad apples can easily deteriorate any goodwill teenagers have for the police, especially with social media nowadays. All this does is reinforce distrust in the police. You don't solve anti social behaviour with violence, you can only suppress it.
Do you want to live in a society where the next generation only listens to authority out of fear?

And how do you suppress anti-social behaviour? What students learnt from this is that they can get away with a lot since the police cannot touch them.

And yes, I wish I lived in a society where the next generation only listens to authority out of fear as oppose to not listening to authority.

You do know there are plenty places where you can get exactly that.  Personally, I rather live in a society where the next generation respect authority and listen out of respect instead of fear.  If I am doing what I should because I fear the police instead of respect them then I know this would not be the place I want to live.  I have many friends who are police officers and I respect their job and what they do because its a thankless career a lot of times, extreamly tough to do it right.  By our kids understanding what a police officer does and how they are their for us not against us, it would garner more respect and less fear.  People should not be fearfull of the police unless you are going to break the law.

Lawlight said:

Maybe so but I can't remember the last time I heard of a police assault on a white person in the news. Why? Is that because it never happens or it's not as important and doesn't make great headlines?

You know there are Youtube videos of white people doing some stuff with the police where if it was any other race would be a different outcome.  Your statement says it all.  The thing to remember is now things have become more sensitive only recently because of Police shootings and other incidents that have raised racial tension more than it has been for years.  You can thank social media because now such videos that would never make the news go viral instantly on social media.

Ka-pi96 said:
Lawlight said:

All you have to do is book a one way flight to North Korea then

Except North Korea is a facist country. A better example is Singapore. The laws are very strict but it feels so good to know that you can walk around while being safe at all times and that people or kids won't mess with you.

Around the Network

There is one more thing we need to know about this incident. After reading about the law for SRO in SC schools, the officer was actually in the wrong and probably why he got fired. Since this was a non-violent and non-criminal event, the SRO was not suppose to even touch the student. Its made very clear in the SC law for SRO that they are not to touch students if the events are just school policy situations like the one within this classroom.

I knew something was very wrong about the incident and that no way should a SRO do something like that for such a mundane and simple school policy situation. The correct response that the SRO should have done once he entered the room and saw that the girl was not breaking any laws, being quite and not being a threat to anyone in the class was to tell the teacher that this is not a situation that he should be involved in.

Probably the biggest problem I have with this event is the fact that a lot of people were actually in support of what happen. The fact that people would support this type of response and action from a SRO in your public schools even without knowing that he was totally wrong and was the one breaking law is still off the chain crazy.

I believe the brutal part should be placed right back on the title. This was a brutal assault by a SRO on a student in which he was totally in the wrong and probably should be facing criminal charges on this issue. The crazy part is that this SRO already had a nick name Officer Slam before this incident. Its easy to see that he was over stepping this position many times before this video surfaced.

Maybe people are sick of seeing little shits acting up and being an absolute nuisance without any consequence and, thus, support the action of the officer.

Wow.....yet I can't help but wonder what she did to get a cop called in the first place.

Also, when a police officer tells you to stand up, you stand up. While I feel it was overkill, she was made an example of, and she likely won't think twice next time shes in that situation.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Jumpin said:
Dante9 said:
The unnecessary use of force aside, can someone please explain to me why it seems to be a pattern among black people to resist the police in any given situation? Are they taught to do this at home as part of their upbringing? What good can ever become of resisting a police officer? We've seen time and again what *bad* can become of it, you'd think people would take some cues already. Don't be stupid.

You say that because you're a racist.

It's not racist, it's a simple question that I want to know the answer to as well

Currently most hyped for: FFXV and Zelda U

MotherBound said:
Jumpin said:

You say that because you're a racist.

It's not racist, it's a simple question that I want to know the answer to as well

I answered this question.  Even thought the question is not racist it's very sterotypical and usually ignorant.  Questions like this are usually asked when people are subjected to information that either paints one race or another in a certain way giving the impression that this is the norm.  If you want an answer to this question do you own research and maybe you will find its not something as common as any other race, its just tolerance amoung authority figures are less tolerate of certain races.