By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Executive Weighs in on the Possibility of a Future Release of a PS4 With Improved Performance

Mr.Playstation said:
If Sony ever do this. I'll sell my PS4, buy a Wii U/Xbox One and change my name to Mr.Xbox or Mr.Nintendo depending on what console I choose.

Why would it botter you so much? PC games run better than your PS4 games since ever

Around the Network

That's fucked up. Terrible idea imo.

Good to see they are at least open to the idea. It honestly makes the most sense at this point. I don't think we will ever see a radically different PlayStation console going forward. We are at a point where every PS console going forward will have to support all PS4 games and applications. The days of releasing a new console that has a bare bones OS, and little to no app support are over.

With that said, the release of a mid cycle refreash may not be a bad thing.The amount of improvment that can be made every 5 - 6 years is no longer enough to warrent a new console cycle anymore. So a PS4.5 in 2017, followed by a full rebranding in say 2021 - 2023 to PS5 may just be the best way to go. Or alternatively, they could just straight up do a PS4 and PS4 Premium, in which case PS4 would continue to see it's price drop to gain a large market share for the PlayStation OS, while the PS4 Premium could cater to those willing to spend a little extra for the best experince available.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I'm not fully in support of the idea. Your early adopters, the ones most likely to go for a more powerful system, would be forced to double dip to get the most out of the PS4. I'd be more on board with an upgrade type plan, as unlikely or unfeasible as it is.

Though I suppose I have purchased multiple PS3s over the course of its life, so I wouldn't be fully opposed to a second PS4 purchase.

I would rebuy the PS4 if they released a 4K-ready PS4 with AC-wireless and hard support for PS1-3 backwards compatibility. I would pay upwards of $600 for this.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
I would rebuy the PS4 if they released a 4K-ready PS4 with AC-wireless and hard support for PS1-3 backwards compatibility. I would pay upwards of $600 for this.

You'd have to pay a whole lot more than 600$ for that lol.

Most likely scenario would seem to be a new device labeled just "Playstation". Every few years the new version comes out running the same os as the PS4 and all of the games work on all the systems. Essentially the same as most PC games in that the settings would default based on the Playstation that you have. The newer the PS the closer to Ultra setting you get.

Something like that...

OR, just eliminate console specific OS's and make them universal and the problem is solved...

It is near the end of the end....

It also seems like people are misunderstanding what's being said here:

The implication is that there wouldn't be a single game that couldn't run on both versions of the console. It's just that the game would have more FPS and/or higher resolution on one version. Your copy of Bloodborne would work on both, but it would be 4K on the hypothetical "PS4K".

Teeqoz said:
Azuren said:

You'd have to pay a whole lot more than 600$ for that lol.

Probably. And I'd probably still buy it to retire my PS3 to "box only" on my shelf.

((I keep all of my consoles on display, but some arn't connected due to being replaced via BC. Currently only my Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GC, WiiU, PS3, PS4, and OG XB are plugged in, due to WiiU's BC and my PS3 being an original 60gb model. My Wii, PS1, and PS2 are just hanging out.))

i did ask this here but about the PS5 and i still stand by my point that two versions of the same platform is quite possible and i would definitely buy the PS5 premium with 4K 60fps and SSD... even if that goes beyond the 600 euro/dollars mark...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4