By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Final Trailer

No jar jar binks =(

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Looks like your regular, blockbuster. No difference between this and a new Star Trek movie trailer.

If by that you mean, the new Star Trek movies ripped off the original Star Wars films, while completely butchering their own source material, okay.... 

By the way, you do realize that the director of The Force Awakens, J.J. Abrams, was the director of the new Star Trek movies.  If you watched the new Star Trek films, which I suffered through, Abrams is clearly more at home with paying homages to Lucas' trilogy while admitting having never watched a single episode of the original Trek. 

If you wanted to call Force Awakens a generic blockbuster, you would have done better with comparing it to something not actually filmed by the same director.

walsufnir said:
Porcupine_I said:

They specifically said they dropped everything concerning the expanded universe, like all books, comics ect...

Only the existing movies count as lore for the new one.

Meh. So the movies are something different from what people can already read on jedipedia and this stuff. Great (not).

I mean, I can understand it from a monetary point because people don't have the option to spoil other people and to hurt cinema income but seriously, for "real" SW fans that consumed everything surrounding it, I can see that they are disappointed by this.

Wait, so your statement implies that anyone not disappointed by this is not a "real Star Wars fan"?

I grew up watching the original trilogy.  Stood on a line wrapped around the back of the theater for Return of the Jedi at 8 years old.  Saw Revenge of the Sith in theaters 10 times (I don't care what anyone says about the prequels, I love Revenge of the Sith).  Collected the action figures (not complete collections mind you) from all the films ( and was old enough by the time of the prequels to keep them in the box this time!).  Have the complete original run of Marvel comics.  Read some of the expanded universe novels.  While the Timothy Zahn novels were great, I eventually stopped reading them when it became clear they were mostly crappy cash grabs on the Star Wars franchise name (see anything written by Kevin J Anderson).  I also have a Boba Fett obsession (have t-shirt, hooded jacket, action figures, Slave I toys, picture with and autograph from Jeremy Bulloch who portrayed Fett in ESB and ROTJ as well as a copy of his novel Flying Solo, and an animation cell of Boba Fett from his appearance on the cartoon Droids, etc.)  I'm also collecting the new Marvel Star Wars comics - Star Wars, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Lando, and Shattered Empire (drawing the line at Chewbacca though).

Having said all of that, I am extremely hyped by the trailer and have been since the initial teaser trailer.

Lawlight said:
d21lewis said:

Me! Raised on the originals since I was a kid.  I can't wait!!

But don't mind me.  I like the prequels, too.

Ok. Because unless you're a fan, I don't see anything to be excited about. It's not like they showed anything amazing.

They'll save that for later--don't want to spoil the story.

Mandalore76 said:
Lawlight said:
Looks like your regular, blockbuster. No difference between this and a new Star Trek movie trailer.

If by that you mean, the new Star Trek movies ripped off the original Star Wars films, while completely butchering their own source material, okay.... 

By the way, you do realize that the director of The Force Awakens, J.J. Abrams, was the director of the new Star Trek movies.  If you watched the new Star Trek films, which I suffered through, Abrams is clearly more at home with paying homages to Lucas' trilogy while admitting having never watched a single episode of the original Trek. 

If you wanted to call Force Awakens a generic blockbuster, you would have done better with comparing it to something not actually filmed by the same director.

What did they new Star Treks rip off of the original Star Wars movies exactly?

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Honestly, do not like it. Looks more like the super high-tech-effects new trilogy than the great interesting old one. Oh well.

I'm just going to throw this out there, incredible special effects (for the time) aside, what makes the OT so great? I won't say it's bad by any means, but it's barely above average. It has some pretty big plot holes that almost ruin it, the characters are very poorly written. And why on God's green earth did the empire feed them the true location of the shield generator? Character's actions often just make no sense. I don't see why this movie is remember so fondly. 

The look of the film is far closer to what I want from Star Wars. Gritty and lived in worlds where people scavenge and struggle. Also has that sense of adventure with the music swelling and the classic sounds and images.

I also am glad they didn't give the plot away as too many trailers do. I have no clue what it is about, but sense that it will be at least a solid film and might even make me love Star Wars again, shall see when it comes out.

The OT is well written with good characters, I'm sorry if people don't like to hear that but they are far better than the trainwreck of modern "blockbusters" like Fast 7 and Avengers: Age of Ultron ... these movies don't even have a coherent story, let alone any meaningful character development or anything meaningful theme.

The OT had wonderful characters like Han Solo, Yoda, Darth Vader, the Emperor, so gimme a break on that. The philosophy of the Force in the OT was great too. 

It doesn't have to be Shakespeare but there is an art to making good popcorn movies. 

As for the trailer I think the character's seem strong to me. The only thing I'm kinda iffy on is Kylo Ren's voice. Hoping JJ can pull this off. 

I don't care about the CG or real props or whatever. That's not what makes a good story. If you don't have a good story, then you have nothing, all the special effects (practical or CGI) are not going to save your movie. All the actors in the world are not going to save your movie. It has to be there on the page. If it's not on the page, you have nothing. 

I think people are misguided in saying the prequels are bad because of the CG. No. They would be just as bad with practical special effects, maybe even worse. The story, the writing, the characters, the lack of any compelling themes are the problem with the prequels. Not the special effects or art direction (which is actually quite well done). 

Visually it looks a lot like the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games, that was my thought watching the X-Wing battle sequences anyway.

Abrams isn't really the master of iconic cinematography though, so that's not really a big shocker, I can't really remember one iconic shot from his Star Trek films.

They'll look nice enough and have the modern day "blockbuster shine" on them.

But story and character are the most important things. If he can nail those two areas, he's golden.

If The Force Awakens is as good as Super 8 (written/directed by Abrams), I'll be very, very happy with that.

Not that Super 8 is a masterpiece, but it's a solid, fun homage to E.T. and Close Encounters with good performances from its cast and an emotionally involving story (a bit contrived but it still works).  

If TFA is the Star Wars equivalent of that, that will be way better than the prequels. Those little kids in Super 8 gave better performances than any of the actors in the Star Wars prequels (largely because the poor actors had nothing on the page to work with).