By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I just built a PC and here's my take on the whole Consoles VS PC argument

zero129 said:
bigtakilla said:

His post didn't make point invalid where I said there are pretty much every genre on the Wii U, so a lack of variety isn't an issue. I'm picking at straws in a response to someone picking at straws.

I do not think anyone can really say that the WiiU has them covered when it comes to many genres, and imo its kinda selflish to say so. Now i do think that if you own a PC or an x1 Or a PS4 that the WiiU would be the perfect console to complement one of them 3. But without having one of them 3 your missing out on so many great 3rd party games, and so many games its just pointless to say otherwise.

Now you're picking at straws.

Around the Network

To be fair, that build wouldn't necessarily be on par to the PS4, and maybe the XOne. You'd need to up the CPU to an i3 at least, and the GPU to be a 270x to compare to the PS4. It would add another $80 or so to the build. This would then give the PS4 value as it has had since launch. As far as building the PC, I'd imgaine those buying the parts should be comfortable building it.

As some have already said, the savings come from the games. I assume most of the PC sales come from Steam sales, which means huge savings compared to console games even when they go on sale. Personally, I prefer console because I tend to enjoy the exclusives more than say the average multiplat.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

zero129 said:
Angelv577 said:
To be honest, I think saying I don't want to play games on PC because of the cost is getting overrated now. If you really know what you are doing, it's obvious you can build a decent PC at a decent price. I think the reason a lot of people (including me) don't want to play current gen games on PC is because they don't want to go through the hassle of researching and assembling a PC. I really don't know shit about CPU, GPU, graphics card, let alone build it. This why console gaming is perfect for me because I'm not interested in learning how to do it.

Exactly this is a perfect response with a perfect reason for why someone wouldnt be into such things. People that use excuses such as "It costs too much" "i need to buy a monitor" "I cant use a gamepad" is such old stigmas i cant believe anyone still uses them.

Why cant they just tell the truth like you since its a perfectly valid and honest response.

I really don't know.  I guess it's easier to say I don't want to because of the cost than admitting you don't know how to do it and prefer the convience choice instead.

To me consoles are just a poorman's gaming system, unless it does something unique like the Wii U or a handheld. The only reason why I ever got a PS3/4 was to play exclusives. If you are a working adult that games then there is no reason not to own a nice gaming PC since you can play at higher resolutions/frame rates/graphic fidelity

another big disadvantage - or should i say characteristic - of the PC, are the plenty o' buginfested and less refined games its buggin the hell out of me.

no one can tell me differently. i ve neen playing on PC for some time now (16 years) and its a huge difference. i never had this much trouble on any console.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
HBninjaX said:
To me consoles are just a poorman's gaming system, unless it does something unique like the Wii U or a handheld. The only reason why I ever got a PS3/4 was to play exclusives. If you are a working adult that games then there is no reason not to own a nice gaming PC since you can play at higher resolutions/frame rates/graphic fidelity

Outside of not wanting to? I don't like gaming that much on my PC...is that reason enough? I like my entertainment set up and don't feel the need to go sit in front of my computer that is an entirely different room and play. Or sit on my laptop and do it. I would rather sit on my couch or lay in my bed and play on my con sole of choise......that sounds like more than enough reason to me....As a working adult that games I disagree with your post lol.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

zero129 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
I've noticed that PC gaming seems to shift a bit more to budget these days. And the hard fact is, development in PC hardware just hasn't been that fast or interesting in recent years.

I used to be a real PC hardware fanatic, upgrading on a regular basis. But now i have a PC that i upgraded for the last time 5 years ago. And it's sitting still ever since i got a PS4.

I think that's a big issue to these days, there just isn't that much for hardware enthousiasts to be enthousiastic about.

I think one of the biggest parts to play in this is that with the consoles launching with such low specs not many devs are really willing to push games on PC other then better textures, res, draw distance lighting etc etc. But then in a sense thats really all the nextgen consoles offer above the lastgen. This is the very first gen i have not felt the need to own one of the nextgen consoles thanks to my pc. Every other gen one of the new consoles would end up being more powerful then my pc with games looking better then i could play on it unless i spend big bucks. But that trend changed this gen imo.

I agree with you that this gen is less high gen then other games, and yes that does mean you don't have to spend as much on a PC to get a ''next gen'' console like experience. But that's not all, progress in PC power has just slowed down a lot in recent years. Especially price-performance wise.

Let me give an example: I still have a AMD HD5850 1gb in my PC. That card launched 6 years ago in 2009, and cost about € 230. It was the most popular card back then.

Right now the most popular card in that price range is probably the Nvidia GTX 960 2GB. That card is just about twice as fast as the HD5850, and it has twice the memory etc. So about a doubling in price/performance in 6 years.

Now if i look back to 6 years before the HD5850 in 2003, i owned a Radeon 9700 128mb AGP. Know that card cost about € 300 euro's. Comparing that to an HD5850 it is probably about 20 times faster than that 9700, and it packs almost ten times the memory. And it's actually cheaper to.

As you can see there has been a huge slow down in progress. And looking at consoles allthough PS4 uses a mid-end gpu from well over three years ago, a current € 200 9600 GTX is barely any faster. Again compare that to an HD5850 witch released three years after the PS3(a console with higher end specs), the HD5850 runs circles around the PS3's 7800/7900 gpu and has twice as much video memory as an entire PS3 system(at 5 times the speed).

zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
I'd rather stop gaming than game on a PC. It's just not fun.

And yet Consoles are more like PC's today then ever..

Gone are the days of poping in a game and having it start up.

~Now start system put in game>come to system menu>Select game> Download system update> Download Patch for game etc.

Exactly whats not fun about PC gaming compared to console gaming?.

Its not fun having the best looking games? its not fun being able to play so many classic console games in HD thanks to emulation?, Its not fun being able to download extra mods and maps that can extend the life of your fav games by years and completly change them?, its not fun having the largest Indie community in gaming and so many great games to choose from??.

Actually, with the PS4, it's all done in the background but you're still not going to run into issues running the game. There's a plethora of issues that you could run into with a PC.

What's not fun about gaming on a PC (other than the library missing games that I want):

- constant fiddling with drivers, settings, etc.

- frequent upgrades required.

- requires extra space to set up the desktop, monitor, input devices.

- having to play with kb/m in MP just because everyone else is.

Im not even going to waste my time giving you a reply to what you just wrote other then to say in every pc thread you always lie about stuff to make it look bad. Exactly why do you do that? what is it about pc gaming that makes you feel like you have to do such things?..

Which of those is a lie?

zero129 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
zero129 said:

I agree with you that this gen is less high gen then other games, and yes that does mean you don't have to spend as much on a PC to get a ''next gen'' console like experience. But that's not all, progress in PC power has just slowed down a lot in recent years. Especially price-performance wise.

Let me give an example: I still have a AMD HD5850 1gb in my PC. That card launched 6 years ago in 2009, and cost about € 230. It was the most popular card back then.

Right now the most popular card in that price range is probably the Nvidia GTX 960 2GB. That card is just about twice as fast as the HD5850, and it has twice the memory etc. So about a doubling in price/performance in 6 years.

Now if i look back to 6 years before the HD5850 in 2003, i owned a Radeon 9700 128mb AGP. Know that card cost about € 300 euro's. Comparing that to an HD5850 it is probably about 20 times faster than that 9700, and it packs almost ten times the memory. And it's actually cheaper to.

As you can see there has been a huge slow down in progress. And looking at consoles allthough PS4 uses a mid-end gpu from well over three years ago, a current € 200 9600 GTX is barely any faster. Again compare that to an HD5850 witch released three years after the PS3(a console with higher end specs), the HD5850 runs circles around the PS3's 7800/7900 gpu and has twice as much video memory as an entire PS3 system(at 5 times the speed).

True i understand exactly what you mean. I guess that when it comes to hardware where just getting to the point where its slowing down across the board. Now that could be that we have hit a point where the return on power just isnt as noticable if you get what i mean?. Like we all know even if the PS4 and X1 are deemed weak in comparasion to PC hardware compared to lastgen, but they are still 2 consoles thats much more powerful then the PS3 and X360 but yet like i said i feel like other then higher res and better textures the is not much more then we had lastgen.

Like the jump imo is not as big as it was from PS2 to PS3 or at least not as noticable;. I think the same thing is pretty much happining with PC too where its getting to the stage that all that extra power just simply is not making the games look much better, as it being used for things people might not notice as much, and the gpu makers know they can get away with rebranding cards and releasing cards that might give a person an extra 5-6FPS but cost a lot more, where as the jumps where much bigger in the past.

I agree with you absolutely, you can clearly see the effect of diminishing returns. Though the difference in power between this gen and last gen is pretty big. That's why i am glad they didn't go overboard with more expensive hardware. Let's say Sony hade gone for a GTX 680, that's like twice as fast as PS4 i think? At most probably You would not have seen much difference(there is notable difference between PS4 and XBone either). So if that would have made PS4 cost € 500 it would not have been worth it. Not to mention it would have heated up like a toaster.

I have my doubts where high-end PC gaming will go from here. 4K VR gaming could be a pretty big leap, but with the current progression in calculating power it will be a long time before that becomes playable. Let alone affordable. Other than that i don't see it.

So indeed no surprise you are seeing affordable PC rigs pop up more and more, not much use shelling out more cash.

Have to say pretty cool reading over the OP on this experience, hear it over and over again from people who do the custom PC build route to cheap HD gaming (work in IT support, so their mistakes pay my rent)

There is some great guides out there on places like Toms hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/motherboard-selection-guide,3900.html which can help you get started and explain a few of the issues you run into (like what socket numbers mean or various ram types) but the easiest and most common way of getting it all up and running is just to do what you did, buy some parts and then see what's missing and build your rig from there. Then at the end of the day you've both built your own PC and hopefully learned a few bits along the way which you can put into doing it the next time or knowing how to replace individual pieces to upgrade what you bought.

At least it didn't end in complete disaster, I've seen it all from damaged sticks of ram being broken to fit into slots to some real horror shows with CPU/Thermal paste.... one person put the Paste into the socket and then pressed the CPU down into it, was a PGA or Pin Grid Array too (the one with 700+ holes) so each of those with thermal paste pressed down into them as he mashed the CPU down onto the paste, was pretty hard not to laugh cos I felt so bad for the person who done that, wish I had taken a picture but I was trying to make the person feel a bit better at the time.

But yeah cool to read your journey to being a PC builder, hope it didn't put you off doing it again in the future.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive