By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS DLC Model: Good or Bad?

Tagged games:

My only problem with Smash DLC is that it is overpriced. Mii costumes are pretty worthless since you can't even play Miis online.

Around the Network

I think there's more good than bad. The price of a new character is reasonable, though I wonder whether Lucas and even Roy required as much effort as Ryu and Mewtwo to make. And the DLC characters are a mix of old favorites that may not have made sense in the main game (We didn't require another G1 Pokemon) and the awesome but out of place Ryu, so they are not bad choices. Stages are a touch pricier than I'd like, but are still reasonable comparing them to characters. The only real both is the Mii Costumes, which I feel should have been free DLC. Those costumes are not substantial compared tot ehir cost, and simply releasing them for free would have been preferable IMO.

BasilZero said:
Platina said:

Yes, when you buy this pack, you get all the current DLC characters only

No stages are included, with the exception being Suzaku Castle (as it's bundled with Ryu)

Thanks for the info - I know this may be the wrong place to ask but buying the DLC - is it through the eshop? If so - I'll just buy one of the eshop cards from best buy and buy the DLC like that - hate using Credit cards for digital distributors lol.

Yes, you will have to buy the DLC through eShop so prepaid cards will work.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I have to agree with the DLC being poor. The bundles are also stupid. Why isn't their a option for just the characters, the maps. And one for characters and maps. The Mii costumes are a waste. They should of been alt costumes for the main characters. The pricing is also all over the place. Which is what's making it frustrating. The major priority in any game that has DLC, and uses maps. Should always be avalible sperate. I would of liked that option in MK8. I don't even use the karts and characters from the DLC. I only got it for the maps. Because I couldn't play the game anymore. The game is dead if you're filtered out of the DLC maps.

Platina said:
Dravenet7 said:
Outside of the club Nintendo deal with Mewtwo, I haven't gotten any of the DLC. My friend even pre-ordered Splatoon and offered me the DLC costumes, but I wasn't really interested in that either.
I will eventually get all the characters and stages, then perhaps some mii fighter costumes.

That all said, I think the DLC for Smash has been bad. Not the worst or downright terrible, but just bad. It initially didn't seem that bad to me, but the flow of DLC makes the price really pile up. I'm honestly surprised on that end.

I think they have a reason for the continuous DLC and perhaps the price point here and there, but so far its all really speculation on my part so I'll hold off on my conspiracy theories for now

I'd like to hear your theory sometime or another ;)

But yes, pricing for the DLC is always the issue. $3-5 a piece doesn't seem much until you see how easily it piles up. When wave 5 rolls through, the DLC itself would be worth the same amount as the game itself. Makes me wonder if they will have promos for the other DLC characters..

Yeah I might do it relatively soon. I'm gonna have dig into just more just to make sure I'm not pulling on hairs.

I'm not sure if you if they will have a promo for the new characters, but I think they will have a sale of all the DLC way down the line

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

I have to agree with the DLC being poor. The bundles are also stupid. Why isn't their a option for just the characters, the maps. And one for characters and maps. The Mii costumes are a waste. They should of been alt costumes for the main characters. The pricing is also all over the place. Which is what's making it frustrating. The major priority in any game that has DLC, and uses maps. Should always be avalible sperate. I would of liked that option in MK8. I don't even use the karts and characters from the DLC. I only got it for the maps. Because I couldn't play the game anymore. The game is dead if you're filtered out of the DLC maps.

They do have a DLC character only bundle with all the current characters, but there isn't one for maps.. Unfortunately, it's not discounted when you get the bundles so the bundle isn't really worth it :/

I'm sure further down the road, they will have a DLC Map bundle though

| |

Dravenet7 said:
Platina said:
Dravenet7 said:
Outside of the club Nintendo deal with Mewtwo, I haven't gotten any of the DLC. My friend even pre-ordered Splatoon and offered me the DLC costumes, but I wasn't really interested in that either.
I will eventually get all the characters and stages, then perhaps some mii fighter costumes.

That all said, I think the DLC for Smash has been bad. Not the worst or downright terrible, but just bad. It initially didn't seem that bad to me, but the flow of DLC makes the price really pile up. I'm honestly surprised on that end.

I think they have a reason for the continuous DLC and perhaps the price point here and there, but so far its all really speculation on my part so I'll hold off on my conspiracy theories for now

I'd like to hear your theory sometime or another ;)

But yes, pricing for the DLC is always the issue. $3-5 a piece doesn't seem much until you see how easily it piles up. When wave 5 rolls through, the DLC itself would be worth the same amount as the game itself. Makes me wonder if they will have promos for the other DLC characters..

Yeah I might do it relatively soon. I'm gonna have dig into just more just to make sure I'm not pulling on hairs.

I'm not sure if you if they will have a promo for the new characters, but I think they will have a sale of all the DLC way down the line

I think they will have a DLC sale, but it probably won't be that good, or it will be wayyy down the line, since DLC for games like Fire Emblem 13 still haven't decreased in price pernamently. They will probably continue with the DLC + game bundles for a while and then lower the price later.

| |

It's just too expensive. I do understand that it takes a lot of effort to make a character and balance it and everything, but you know what also takes a lot of effort? DLC from other games. If I can spend $10 for a huge new chunk of content that will significantly extend the gameplay in another game, I think $10 for three new characters with one new stage each is reasonable for Smash.

I feel like the common perception of value is very skewed when it comes to a lot of Nintendo games, and of course their DLC. But I guess that's a whole can of worms right there.

Good examples of dlc: the witcher 3, rocket league etc - a lot of free stuff and the monetized content is not P2W or cut from the original game. It adds to the experience sure but people should not feel obligated or ripped off.

Bad examples of dlc: mortal kombat x, evolve, destiny, the last of us MP weapon/perk dlc model, anything P2W (monetization of in game currency) - content is cut from the game and sold later on for profit. People are rewarded for shelling out higher amounts of money.

Neutral examples of dlc: super smash bros, dead or alive etc - although I think cosmetic dlc is useless, it does not reward those who buy it for the most part. The new characters seem well balanced and added on; just like the stages don't feel as if they were cut out. Price may seem like a factor for cosmetics but I mean if you really want to play dress up then I don't think you would care too much about that in the first place.

Good DLC adds on to an experience and keeps the customer engaged and entertained with their game over the months, without punishing people who do not purchase it. Smash bros seems to be of that model.

DivinePaladin said:
Characters are priced more than fairly. Costumes are decently priced but are gonna be a tad oversaturated when all is said and done.

Is it really? Add up all the prices together. Then look at what the base game gives you. Then you start seeing why people complain. $60 gets you all that. But all the DLC alone is more than the game. Why isn't the base game $120? Or why isn't there 20 more stages, challenges, missions etc. To make the DLC side equal in content amount. If a company is asking for $60 DLC. Shouldn't I be given equal the amount of stuff that went into the base game too?

It's not like I'm getting amiibo, or a Smash ball statue to offset the difference. I'd be more forgiving if say you bought the character pack. You got to pick an amiibo figure. That's $13 right there. And the rest is justified by the DLC cost.