By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One price drop to $299?

Eddie_Raja said:
Normchacho said:

The 360 launched at $299 in 2005, and didn't hit $199 until 2008 AND they pulled out the HDD.

The Xbox One hitting $199 in 2017 would be PS3 level price dropping.

LOL what is your point?  This is not last gen.  Get that through your head.  

Easily they could remove the Blueray, use 16nm space/power saving and make a $200 console next year.

Blu-ray? Isn't that the format for all 8th gen video game discs? Unless MS intends to release a digital only xbox one console, blu-ray can't be removed from the console.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Snoopy said:

Games will still be released on PS4 and Xbox one. The days of huge upgrades between consoles are over. Heck, the difference between PS4/PS3 and Xbox One/Xbox 360 isn't that huge compare to other generations. Just think of it like PC gaming where we upgrade graphics cards every few years. You can still play newer games on your outdated graphics card, it just won't be as good looking and won't run as well. That is also why Microsoft changed the name of the new xbox to xbox one. The next xbox will more than likely be called xbox two to keep things less confusing and it reflects what the iPhone is doing.

No way. The two biggest reasons to upgrade are the power bump and the older consoles losing support.

With 4k tv's becoming the norm and VR on it's way, consoles are going to have to get more powerful.

Actually, I'd wager that if MS comes out in 2017/2018 and announces the Xbox Two, and it's only marginally more powerful than the PS4...They'd get massacred. Enthusiasm will be low due to the modest power bump and all of the games would be coming to the Xbox One too.

Nope, Microsoft will release a console in 2018 more than likely and everything will be about 5 to 6 years more powerful. 4K is not next gen for sure because not enough people are willing to adopt it yet and the fact to see the difference of a hdtv and 4k tv you will need a huge tv or be close up to the screen. VR is a gimmick and not here to stay.

ethomaz said:
Eddie_Raja said:

If it got cheaper there is no reason they couldn't.  14nm/16nmFF are out NOW, and will be in desktop GPU's within half a year.

APU is not a GPU... it is way more complex.

Only Intel (years ahead any others foundry) and Apple (with Samsung ) used 14nm for ARM processors (Apple didn't have good luck... they back to 16nm due high consume).

14nm is not real for GPUs yet.

Maybe next year.

And nobody will change a project to accept DDR4... these products will end with DDR3 (GDDR5 in case of Sony).

LOL I know what these things are buddy.  The X1 was originally tooled for DDR4, so again there is no reason they couldn't do it (Though it's unlikely it would be economical in time).

And yeah I said 14nm/16nmFF would be economical NEXT year lol.  It is already half way through october 2015.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Aeolus451 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

LOL what is your point?  This is not last gen.  Get that through your head.  

Easily they could remove the Blueray, use 16nm space/power saving and make a $200 console next year.

Blu-ray? Isn't that the format for all 8th gen video game discs? Unless MS intends to release a digital only xbox one console, blu-ray can't be removed from the console.

Not needed if its digital only.  They could shave $50 off the price and force people to only buy digital  (Thus increasing profits long-term).

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
Normchacho said:

Haha they are on track for 30m total.  If that is ok with them (And it might be for profit reasons) then sure.  But if they want 50m+ it needs to be $200 NOW.

By what standard are they on track for 30m sales? It outsold the 360 last year (2014 vs. 2006), and if the holidays go anything like they did last year will outsell it this year too (2015 vs. 2007).

Now, I don't think the Xbox One will outsell the 360 lifetime, but the Xbox One should be nearly at 20 million by the end of this year. You think it will only do another 10 for the rest of it's life? That's less than a year and a half of sales.

This also all assumes they drop the price to $299 this holiday. Which they might, but it seems unlikely.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that dropping the disc drive would likely hurt sales more than the price drop would help them. Forcing people to buy digital AND hurt it's hard earned reputation as the media center of the consoles? Bad plan.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Aeolus451 said:

Not needed if its digital only.  They could shave $50 off the price and force people to only buy digital  (Thus increasing profits long-term).

The last time MS tried to "force" gamers to do anything (DRM, always online), it didn't work out so well for 'em. Honestly, I doubt that Spencer would risk it. Even a option for a digital only console wouldn't be  worth it. Those steam boxes don't even sell that well. I think it would be more worthwhile for MS to develope some new IPs to attract gamers to their console.

Vasto said:

Costco is selling for $299. Does this mean anything?

Funny that you think its a good thing (i assume), it means MS is losing even more money if true

If they're anything like my local stores are, they're probably just trying to get rid of the big stock of X1's. All of the stores in my area seem to always be loaded up with X1's, while the PS4 consoles, continue to sell out.

We will probably see X1s at that price and PS4s at 329 during the course of Nov/Dec for special deals

Ruler said:
Vasto said:

Costco is selling for $299. Does this mean anything?

Funny that you think its a good thing (i assume), it means MS is losing even more money if true

Actually no, Costco already bought them from Microsoft. If they are selling their stock cheap it will affect only the retailer. 

It will affect the numbers of Xbox Ones Costco will order in the future though.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’