By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One price drop to $299?

darkenergy said:
Aaahhh, Costco, the best place to get foods in bulk and cheaper there too

I got banned from Costco. All I did was walked in the store naked, minding my own business until the manager came out and kicked me out. Ridiculous that these kind of things can still happend in the United States.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Do you guys really shop in stores like that? It looks like a giant sized container.. Surely there are safety regulations?

Costco is basically the only store chain I know of where their entire store is basically a warehouse you can shop in. They specialize in selling bulk items though, meaning that a regular store with average sized shelves wouldn't work. Having been in a Costco my fair share of times, it isn't as if you ever feel unsafe. Maybe overwhelmed by the sheer volume of goods, but not unsafe.

NiKKoM said:
Do you guys really shop in stores like that? It looks like a giant sized container.. Surely there are safety regulations?

You're right lol, talk about depressing.

And is that a giant spider?

Snoopy said:
Normchacho said:

While it's possible, there is really no evidence to support this claim.

With development costs and time getting longer and longer, shorter generations would hurt development cycles. I see little reason for Sony or MS to throw them off. Especially in a business that is built on software sales.

Games will still be released on PS4 and Xbox one. The days of huge upgrades between consoles are over. Heck, the difference between PS4/PS3 and Xbox One/Xbox 360 isn't that huge compare to other generations. Just think of it like PC gaming where we upgrade graphics cards every few years. You can still play newer games on your outdated graphics card, it just won't be as good looking and won't run as well. That is also why Microsoft changed the name of the new xbox to xbox one. The next xbox will more than likely be called xbox two to keep things less confusing and it reflects what the iPhone is doing.

No way. The two biggest reasons to upgrade are the power bump and the older consoles losing support.

With 4k tv's becoming the norm and VR on it's way, consoles are going to have to get more powerful.

Actually, I'd wager that if MS comes out in 2017/2018 and announces the Xbox Two, and it's only marginally more powerful than the PS4...They'd get massacred. Enthusiasm will be low due to the modest power bump and all of the games would be coming to the Xbox One too.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Promotional sales = More traffic
More traffic = More sales from other products
More sales = More revenue for retailer

Around the Network
darkenergy said:

Aaahhh, Costco, the best place to get foods in bulk and it's cheaper in the long run too

Perhaps CostCo are different in the US then. In Australia CostCo actually ends up more expensive on most stuff if you are a relatively smart shopper. I have had a CostCo membership here for 2 years but I won't renew when it expires next year. basically if you wait for sales in the regular supermarkets or aldi you save a fortune in food over the CostCo prices.

Angelv577 said:
It could be or maybe clearing excessive stock.

Yup it's just getting rid of all those X1s that are not selling and it is the old sku in the picture.

Mr.Playstation said:
Their They're probably trying to get rid of the vanilla 500GB models. Their They'repretty much redundant by now.

Here endeth the lesson.

Personally I think dropping the price, officially, is understandable but I think it would be a mistake. It would finally and fully be admitting that Xb one can't compete with PS4 at the same base price IN THE USA! Which means MS believes the game library and Xb one features can't sell the product without a price incentive. When you admit that it pretty much means you've lost confidence in the product.

When you do a feature by feature comparison PS4 is better with some things and Xb one is better with others. But when you take all those features as a total package you would objectively come out with a conclusion that the consoles should be sold at the same price, and they should compete fairly evenly. Does PS4 have an inherent advantage with the ability to more consistently deliver 1080p and stable framerates? As primarily a gaming machine having an edge in these aspects of game performance may be of more perceived value than having HDMI pass through. But it shouldn't make such a huge difference that Xb one gets curb stomped when the consoles are selling for the same price. It might mean that long term PS4 gets better sales, but the LTDs should be roughly comparable.

I think MS should roll with Halo 5 and see how much enthusiasm Gears and Quantum Break builds before they hit the price cut button again. If they cut the price now, just after Halo 5 ships I think that means Halo 5 has not shifted as many consoles as MS would have hoped. So the next few weeks will be interesting to watch.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

They need ASAP.

To be fair the right price point to gain market share is $249 after the PS4's price drop.

Snoopy said:
Yep, they will officially sell the xbox one at 299 by November. Then, next year it will be 250 and continue the 50 dollar drop for the following years.

Lmao, price drops do not work like that.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"