By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First WiiU emulator available!

the-pi-guy said:
Vodacixi said:
Pretty sure Nintendo will take down this sooner than later.

Like everyone else said emulators aren't illegal.  

In fact, Bleem! was even found to be allowed to legally sell their emulator for PS1 games.  So not only are emulators legally allowed, but they can even legally be sold.  Sony sued of course, but Bleem! won in court.  

What is usually illegal is the ROM or bios.   Legality depends on how those things are obtained.  For example, I can easily legally put my PS2 games into my PC and play them like that.  But if I wanted to download a game, that would be considered illegal.  Same for the bios of the PS2.  There's a way to get the bios directly from the PS2 legally, but downloading the bios is considered illegal.  

Emulator - Legal

Owned ROM - legal

Downloaded ROM - illegal

Alot of people consider downloading the ROM to be a grey zone, if they already own the game discs (for the console).

They could put abit of effect into ripping/backuping their own copy, but choose to go the hassle free route and just download it instead.

Same with bios...... alot of people own consoles, very few people put in the effort to get to know how to make a bios file of their own console (which should be legal?).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
This is huge. I wonder how many years until it becomes as good as Dolphin. I love my consoles, but playing on PC is always the best choice. Mods, better resolution, better framerate. Where else can I play Super Mario Sunshine in 1080p 60fps? I hope someone someday makes a 3DS emulator, because playing on an actual 3DS sucks.

I say minimum 3 years, by that time Wii U probably will not be in stores.

Dolphin had like 10 years to get where it is today.

I think this new emulator being up to pair with the Dolphin one, within 3 years would take ALOT of effort on the parts of those developers that made it.

Goodnightmoon said:
Boberkun said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQ6hYcr2Ek

Running Nes Remix at 1 FPS

LOL

So much downplay, lol .

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Good, now all the millions of people interested in Wii U library will be able to play.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

episteme said:

Interesting that the first emulator came at the same time as the first USB loader of Wii U games.
And it's weird that Nintendo patched the exploit for USB loaders months before it came out.

I think we'll see PS4 emulation at full speed before PS3 because emulating the Cell requires a ridiculous amount of power while the PS4 is x86.

And I don't know how they made an 360 emulator for the Xbox One, that must be the most efficient emulator of all time, almost a miracle if you compare it to other emulators.

I don't think so. The instruction set for x86 is gigantic and very complex, while PowerPC is a relatively more simple RISC-based design.

As for the Cell, power isn't as much of an issue as getting the emulated SPEs to run simultaneously. One step off the line and the whole thing crashes. That and needing a lot of physical threads. Otherwise emulating PowerISA on x86 is a fairly known quantity, and the reason MS managed to do it.

As for emulating the Wii-U. I doubt you'll need a "NASA computer" like some have claimed. A Haswell Core i5 and a Maxwell/GCN GPU will likely do it for 1080p and 60fps. Actually the requirements for emulation were never too far off (within an order of magnitude at most) of the emulated hardware before the 6th generation anyways, and that's because early designs of PCSX2, Dolphin, No$GBA for DS etc. ran a lot of unoptimized code.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

As for the Cell, power isn't as much of an issue as getting the emulated SPEs to run simultaneously. One step off the line and the whole thing crashes. That and needing a lot of physical threads. Otherwise emulating PowerISA on x86 is a fairly known quantity, and the reason MS managed to do it.

No, the developers of a PS3 emulator said that even if they had an emulator that perfectly mimics a PS3, running commercial games at acceptable speeds would still be impossible due to the processing power of consumer grade CPUs.

Scisca said:
97alexk said:

emulators have always been for cheap people. pfft buy a real console.

Dophin is by far the ultimate way to play Xenoblade Chronicles. Emulators are great - when done right, they give extra value even if you own the console. I own the Wii, but decided to play XC on PC due to all the enhancements More options is always better!

No thank you! not only is the dolphin an inferior vercion (except only  having slightly noticable changes like textures, wich are actually not that impressive), but i bought xenoblade chronicles on the Wii U eshop so im atleast supporting the devs/monolith soft who made this masterpiece. I want more of this, further experience their games, and if everyone would just be emulating these games then no one would make them. Thank all the people who bought the first one that we are now getting an awsome second one. I wont be emulating Nintendo games as long as i live, i always bought most of their games, and it comes down to prioritising, if its a really bad game, or cheap game i guess its more understandable, but a game this size and so much effort put into it. I couldnt just emulate it and experience this awsome game but not give these guys credit. Things need to be fair

PC master race

Took a while, but console emulators always lag. A lot

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

97alexk said:
Scisca said:

Dophin is by far the ultimate way to play Xenoblade Chronicles. Emulators are great - when done right, they give extra value even if you own the console. I own the Wii, but decided to play XC on PC due to all the enhancements More options is always better!

No thank you! not only is the dolphin an inferior vercion (except only  having slightly noticable changes like textures, wich are actually not that impressive), but i bought xenoblade chronicles on the Wii U eshop so im atleast supporting the devs/monolith soft who made this masterpiece. I want more of this, further experience their games, and if everyone would just be emulating these games then no one would make them. Thank all the people who bought the first one that we are now getting an awsome second one. I wont be emulating Nintendo games as long as i live, i always bought most of their games, and it comes down to prioritising, if its a really bad game, or cheap game i guess its more understandable, but a game this size and so much effort put into it. I couldnt just emulate it and experience this awsome game but not give these guys credit. Things need to be fair

Inferior in what way? I get a stable 30fps while on my Wii XBC would drop to what I imagine is 23-25 fps, I play at 1080p with SSAA (no jaggies) with texture mods. I can play with whatever controller I wish to. By the way I pre-ordered the game, the iso I play with was ripped through my Wii, and I still have my copy in my collection, safe and sound from damage. So...