By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple will be the next SuperConsole!

Will Apple One day Rule the console wars?

Absolutely! 14 5.81%

Maybe? 41 17.01%

Not a Chance! 186 77.18%

Total:241
spemanig said:
Tachikoma said:
In keeping with Apple tradition I can see the outcome being:
- Console built out of a single piece of aluminum
- Lower spec than the WiiU
- Higher price than all three current gen consoles combined.

- Largest marketplace with the most desired software and applications

Eh no, Android has a way bigger market place. Both are mostly crap

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
I wonder if anyone here remembers the Apple Pippin?

Awww.. I remember that pippin sh*t console.

SpokenTruth said:
spemanig said:
Tachikoma said:

For mobile games.  If home console gamers wanted a bunch of iOS games, all the home console store fronts would be flooded with them.

Not everybody wants to play thousands of Match 3 based games on their big TV at home.

Because that's the only type of game on mobile? Minecraft: Pocket Edition has over 30 million downloads and that's not even a free game, it's $6.99. Other successful paid games are Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas, Monument Valley, Modern Combat series, Five Nights at Freddy's series, The Room, Terraria, Amazing Spider Man, Dark Knight Rises, etc. It's not just free to play time wasters that have success on mobile.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

We've heard these predictions for years now. It started with Mobile phones, then things like Amazon Fire, Google TV etc. Are these things having an impact? Yes. Are consoles dead? Not really. There will always be a market for premium gaming. Whether it continues to be delivered by a dedicated console box or a cloud service remains to be seen but if you're worried about a generic TV box taking over gaming, fear not, there's too much money in premium gaming.

As for the site itself, Motley Fool is a well regarded investment site. Also, when they refer to 'dwindling console sales', of course this current generation is selling better than before, but consider this is 10 years on the sales should be far greater than they are - the sell-through market is much, much bigger 10 years on (compare iPhone sales from when they first launched to now). In that respect, console sales are not doing very well.

Having said that, I stand by my statement. Premium gaming is not going to be crushed by a company like Apple or Google anytime soon. They have no desire to enter that marketspace for a kickoff.

XBL: NathObeaN | PSN: NathObeaN | Steam: NathObeaN

Dedicated console gamers wouldn't game on Apple TV or anything like it. They would stick to the big three in consoles. Apple TV will never be known for serious gaming.  Apple has never been known for serious gaming.  Best game they had was probably Oregon Trail.  They barely ever got a port in the 90s on their computers but they do have the casual market locked down. 

Problem is most blu ray players, Roku players, and sticks can stream Netflix, Pandora, numerous other streaming services and primitive games.  So they have a lot of competition in the streaming market.  The only buy in they have is to convince someone with a lot of downloaded purchases on itunes to get Apple TV over the others.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
zorg1000 said:
SpokenTruth said:
spemanig said:
Tachikoma said:

For mobile games.  If home console gamers wanted a bunch of iOS games, all the home console store fronts would be flooded with them.

Not everybody wants to play thousands of Match 3 based games on their big TV at home.

Because that's the only type of game on mobile? Minecraft: Pocket Edition has over 30 million downloads and that's not even a free game, it's $6.99. Other successful paid games are Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas, Monument Valley, Modern Combat series, Five Nights at Freddy's series, The Room, Terraria, Amazing Spider Man, Dark Knight Rises, etc. It's not just free to play time wasters that have success on mobile.

1. Those are tiny figures compared to the sales volume of Match 3 style games out there. 

2. You listed 3 ports of console games that are over a decade old.  That's not going to comepte against a modern console with modern games.  Do you really think a large number of people want to buy a whole new console to play 10 year old ports on their big screen TV?

3. Show me 1 real paid game that has come even remotedly close to the free to play and cheap $0..99 cent time wasters.   1.

1. No shit free games are downloaded more than paid games, they're free.

2. I never said people would buy a new console for the sole purpose of playing 10 year old ports, I was simply showing u that paid, hardcore titles can be successful on mobile devices. If a 10 year old port can sell a few million, how well would a new, original title in that series sell?

3. Again they're free, of course they will be downloaded more often, it's an unfair comparison and that has nothing to do with what your original post.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

that's just so ridiculous, buddy XD! why would apple want to enter the console gaming market when both Microsoft and even Sony want to get out ?
I strongly BELIEVE dat this gen will be the last gen of console. Next-generation of gaming will be all about PC Gaming and cloud gaming service like PlayStation.Now and whatever dat Microsoft is working on. Oh and of course, Smartphone gaming will PROBABLY replace handheld gaming.
This is only my theory ofc :3.

Edit: If this become reality, it will be a very good thing! Trust me, like the PlayStation and Xbox brand won't be a console brand anymore, but instead, it will become like Steam on your PC or Apps on your TV, Smartphones. You no longer have to spend hundred of dollars just to be able to play their exclusives, you only need their controllers and an HDTV dat have apps supported. And jump right in and play it, you don't even need to download or buy a phyiscal copy, just streamingly playing the game. Oh and ofc, the prices of the game would drop signfincantly since everything will become digitally, i expect the standard launch AAA title for Uncharted and HALO games will be around $39. As cheap as an 3DS game or LESS!

Another important advantage is dat the games perfomance/graphics won't be limited by the hardware capability. like as we seen console gamers of today fighting over which game have better FPS or which game have better Resolution, but which this new cloud gaming, God of Wars or Gears of Wars can both running at 1080p 60fps without the need to sacrificing the Visual and beauty of the game, heck it can even running on 4k 60fps! If Sony/Microsoft some how finding a way for it.

But of course, there is an downfall, like you must have a strong internet connection or if their networks go down, you're unable to playing it until it gets back on.

Pippin 2 confirmed.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It will never happen

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

SpokenTruth said:
zorg1000 said:

2. I never said people would buy a new console for the sole purpose of playing 10 year old ports, I was simply showing u that paid, hardcore titles can be successful on mobile devices. If a 10 year old port can sell a few million, how well would a new, original title in that series sell?

And that new original title is going to cost how much?  Adn that developer is going to skip the regaular home console to put it on iOS home console instead?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just trying to show u there is an audience on mobile for such titles.