By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You might not know this but... Hideo Kojima made The Phantom Pain

Nuvendil said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I'm not giving Kojima a free ride, but I think its pretty obvious what is and isn't his fault, simply compare MSGV to his previous work.

If you hated the gameplay, the story, the characters, yeah thats obviously Kojima.

If you hated the drastic drop in quality and originality between chapter 1 and 2, the missing or unfinished parts, maybe that had something to do with the publisher? 

And regardless of what happeened between Kojima and Konami, Konami's overt actions regarding MGSV were pretty heinous.

I mean since when was it developers and not publishers who rush out unfinished games to make as much money as possible. Especially, not a developer was going to be axed soon, P.T gave a clear heads up, its not like he would get much of that money if any at all.

I don't have any issues with missing parts.  I've not played the game through, I can only go on what I've seen and that's mostly writing and characterization mostly.

But what people are talking about here is just that Kojima has plastered his name everywhere with unnecessary credit sequences.  Given Konami hates Kojima, I think that's Kojima's fault :P

All I was saying is people can call Kojima out without being hypocrites, as you were implying.

Comments on Pacing, length, tediousness/repetitiveness are obviously attributed to a rushed game, games rushed by publishers are a common complaint of unfinished games, despite lack of awareness of actual internal budget and scheduling. This is a rare case, where it is public knowledge the state affairs that surronded this game, its clear this game was rushed and why.

I can tell you with certainity that most of the reviews and comments that I have seen about this game, have gripes about the story and the games composition (it's completness), but story gripes are dissmisable, from a game standpoint its not as egregious as the game itself being incomplete. Most reviewers, ignore this , typically unignorable quality, BECAUSE of the extraneous circumstances, not just because it was Kojima. MGSIV didn't recieve these kind of accolades, it was still Kojima and it was still Konami.

What I was implying was that plastering his name everywhere is not a new thing for Kojima, nor is it an unsually response considering the circumstances. And corporations are giant souless automatons supposed to be proffessional, there is no way in hell any of what Konami did was professional, Konami is not a person, Kojima is, and when ever its a corporation versus a person, I'm always going to side with the person. I mean this is the guy that spearheaded one of konami's longest and most popular franchises, how disrespectful.

And later posts of this thread have in fact devolved into blaming Kojima for MGSV's flaws, so I was addressing those.

Criticisms leveraged at Kojima are fair, but I haven't seen a prior mention of Konami, and well I support Don Mattrick and he was a lot more at fault at the XB1 then Kojima was in MGSV.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

yeah it wasnt like this in previous MGS games

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Nuvendil said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I'm not giving Kojima a free ride, but I think its pretty obvious what is and isn't his fault, simply compare MSGV to his previous work.

If you hated the gameplay, the story, the characters, yeah thats obviously Kojima.

If you hated the drastic drop in quality and originality between chapter 1 and 2, the missing or unfinished parts, maybe that had something to do with the publisher? 

And regardless of what happeened between Kojima and Konami, Konami's overt actions regarding MGSV were pretty heinous.

I mean since when was it developers and not publishers who rush out unfinished games to make as much money as possible. Especially, not a developer was going to be axed soon, P.T gave a clear heads up, its not like he would get much of that money if any at all.

I don't have any issues with missing parts.  I've not played the game through, I can only go on what I've seen and that's mostly writing and characterization mostly.

But what people are talking about here is just that Kojima has plastered his name everywhere with unnecessary credit sequences.  Given Konami hates Kojima, I think that's Kojima's fault :P

All I was saying is people can call Kojima out without being hypocrites, as you were implying.

Comments on Pacing, length, tediousness/repetitiveness are obviously attributed to a rushed game, games rushed by publishers are a common complaint of unfinished games, despite lack of awareness of actual internal budget and scheduling. This is a rare case, where it is public knowledge the state affairs that surronded this game, its clear this game was rushed and why.

I can tell you with certainity that most of the reviews and comments that I have seen about this game, have gripes about the story and the games composition (it's completness), but story gripes are dissmisable, from a game standpoint its not as egregious as the game itself being incomplete. Most reviewers, ignore this , typically unignorable quality, BECAUSE of the extraneous circumstances, not just because it was Kojima. MGSIV didn't recieve these kind of accolades, it was still Kojima and it was still Konami.

What I was implying was that plastering his name everywhere is not a new thing for Kojima, nor is it an unsually response considering the circumstances. And corporations are giant souless automatons supposed to be proffessional, there is no way in hell any of what Konami did was professional, Konami is not a person, Kojima is, and when ever its a corporation versus a person, I'm always going to side with the person. I mean this is the guy that spearheaded one of konami's longest and most popular franchises, how disrespectful.

And later posts of this thread have in fact devolved into blaming Kojima for MGSV's flaws, so I was addressing those.

Criticisms leveraged at Kojima are fair, but I haven't seen a prior mention of Konami, and well I support Don Mattrick and he was a lot more at fault at the XB1 then Kojima was in MGSV.

I would be cautious of doing that wholesale.  The "person vs evil corporation" image isn't always accurate.  There have been many, many situations in which I would not take either side and several where I would side with the company.  This isn't one of those, but they do happen.  So do research every time, don't just jump the bandwagon. 

And Konami wasn't mentioned in this thread because every criticism of Kojima about MGSV does not need to be prefaced or followed up with a statement on how much Konami sucks.

But I think we can lay this to rest. 

I do, sometimes it's just hilarious.

I get that he wants recognition, but this was too much. I bet the vast majority of people that buy MGS games are well aware of his role...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I dont know what people find amazing about this game. I bought at at launch and got bored of it quickly after. I find myself repeating the same thing. Sneak into a base and either kill a certain person or extract someone.