By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Fate/Stay: Where to begin?

Where to start?

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 1 4.76%

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! 0 0%

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei 0 0%

Fate/Prototype 0 0%

Fate/stay night 6 28.57%

Fate/stay night unlimited blade works 2 9.52%

Fate/zero 10 47.62%

other 2 9.52%

Total:21

So after finishing my binge of Overlord, what a sick anime amirite "Hail Ainz Ooal Gown", I'm in the mood for some anime. Since I've been out of the loop for a while, I decided to finally stop procrastinating and watch the Fate/Stay night series. I mean seriously my sister's already watched it, I'm kinda behind the curve.

But there's like all of this stuff:

And I want to watch it in a way that makes sense, so not neccessarily chronological or order of release but the way it makes the most sense.

Any suggestions?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I also just recently started with Fate Zero, had no knowledge of it before and no problem with it to understand everything, next I'm going to watch is Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

so if you want my suggestion:
Fate Zero 1+2
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

and if you want more fate after this watch the spin-offs Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei!

you can skip the 2006 Fate/Stay Night anime as far as I know it's the most disappointing.

start with fate/zero S1/2 then fate/stay night unlimited blade work TV S1/2

the prisma illya stuff, the prototype and the 2006 fate/stay night (notably worse than the new series) is recommended only for fans

Start with the prequel, Fate/zero.

Start with Fate/Zero, after that, watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (The TV Series, NOT the movie). I consider the rest to be a bonus but these two series are by far the best.

Playing: F1 2016 (PC), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Watching: Hajime no Ippo, Attack on Titan (4th time)
Upcoming purchases in October:
-TBD

Around the Network

I've watched the whole Fate series excluding the TV anime of Unlimited Blade Works(waiting for all the Blu-ray's to release). The best way to make sense of the story is to start with Fate/Stay Night. Unlimited Blade Works is an alternate route of F/SN that has goes into the answers that weren't explained in F/SN. I recommend not to watch the movie version(Got damn DEEN), but the TV anime version. After the TV version of UBW, watch Fate/Zero. It's a prequel for a reason. Heaven's Feel should be watched after. I realized I'm telling you to watch in release order. lol

Order:

F/SN
F/SN:UBW(TV)
F/Z

Fate/Kaleid is a spin-off in an alternate universe using the Fate characters. There are new characters for the story and old characters from Fate, but with altered backgrounds from their original source.

Fate/Kaleid Illya is the 1st season.
2wei(2) is the 2nd season.
2wei Herz is the continuation.
3rei(3) is the 3rd season.

I highly recommend you watch Kara no Kyoukai. I also recommend Tsukihime(terrible adaption) for the story and characters. They are two other works by Kinoko Nasu(Type-Moon franchise). Fate, Kara no Kyoukai, and Tsukihime are in a universe known as the Nasuverse. After watching those and getting familiar with the Nasuverse, watch Carnival Phantasm. It has all the characters from the series mentioned above all in one anime. It's a great parody and comedy that has characters from Fate and Tsukihime.

Rob5VGC said:
I've watched the whole Fate series excluding the TV anime of Unlimited Blade Works(waiting for all the Blu-ray's to release). The best way to make sense of the story is to start with Fate/Stay Night. Unlimited Blade Works is an alternate route of F/SN that has goes into the answers that weren't explained in F/SN. I recommend not to watch the movie version(Got damn DEEN), but the TV anime version. After the TV version of UBW, watch Fate/Zero. It's a prequel for a reason. Heaven's Feel should be watched after. I realized I'm telling you to watch in release order. lol

Order:

F/SN
F/SN:UBW(TV)
F/Z

Fate/Kaleid is a spin-off in an alternate universe using the Fate characters. There are new characters for the story and old characters from Fate, but with altered backgrounds from their original source.

Fate/Kaleid Illya is the 1st season.
2wei(2) is the 2nd season.
2wei Herz is the continuation.
3rei(3) is the 3rd season.

I highly recommend you watch Kara no Kyoukai. I also recommend Tsukihime(terrible adaption) for the story and characters. They are two other works by Kinoko Nasu(Type-Moon franchise). Fate, Kara no Kyoukai, and Tsukihime are in a universe known as the Nasuverse. After watching those and getting familiar with the Nasuverse, watch Carnival Phantasm. It has all the characters from the series mentioned above all in one anime. It's a great parody and comedy that has characters from Fate and Tsukihime.

? fate zero released before the unlimited blade works tv

and, as somebody who already watched both zero and ubw TV, I'd say watching zero first is essential

Lafiel said:

? fate zero released before the unlimited blade works tv

and, as somebody who already watched both zero and ubw TV, I'd say watching zero first is essential

lol If you read my comment, you would have saw that I said not to watch the movie version of UBW(Got damn DEEN), but the TV version. Well, the OP can just watch Zero before UBW TV then if he/she decides to watch SN first.

Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa.

You're making this too complicated my friend.

It's easy. Watch Fate Zero. Then watch Unlimited Blade works. Easy.

There is no fate zero 2. Not sure where you heard that. All the other little series are mainly filled.

Also the original 2006 stay night was good but much inferior to stay night Unlimited Blade Works therefore not required to watch.

Stay zero is a prequel to Stay Night UBW

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

As someone who has recently gone back and rewatched the original Fate/Stay Night series, I don't think it's inferior to Unlimited Bladeworks at all. In fact, the protagonist is far less annoying in the first series and the focus is more on Saber than Archer and it's better for it. Bladeworks really annoyed the hell out of me with the constant masterbation over the main character.

Personally, I'd go with the order of release. Fate/Stay Night - Fate/Zero - Bladeworks. Really, though, you can't go wrong no matter what.

The only real negative is that Fate/Zero is far and away the best of the bunch and raises the bar exceedingly high.