By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Paul Scholes questions the quality of Premier League soccer players.

Tagged games:

 

Are Premier League teams lower in quality, compared to other European top teams?

Yes 9 90.00%
 
No 1 10.00%
 
Total:10
Goatseye said:
AZWification said:

On paper he's a right winger, but he loves going into central areas. Also, doesn't Modric play deeper than what Mata used to play at Chelsea?

He was never a winger on Valencia and Chelsea at first.

Modric always plays CM and AM.

Yeah, he was a CAM before his transfer to United! In any case, I don't think CAM Mata could replace Modric, but winger Mata could definitely replace Bale and Isco. That's only my opinion though.



                
       ---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Goatseye said:

He was never a winger on Valencia and Chelsea at first.

Modric always plays CM and AM.

Yeah, he was a CAM before his transfer to United! In any case, I don't think CAM Mata could replace Modric, but winger Mata could definitely replace Bale and Isco. That's only my opinion though.

Isco is not a winger though. He is an Attacking Midfielder, he doesn't even play a Center Midfielder (as in box-box).

Mata couldn't ever dream of replacing Bale as a winger. Mata plays as a R/L Attacking Midfielder in MU then.



Goatseye said:
AZWification said:
Goatseye said:

He was never a winger on Valencia and Chelsea at first.

Modric always plays CM and AM.

Yeah, he was a CAM before his transfer to United! In any case, I don't think CAM Mata could replace Modric, but winger Mata could definitely replace Bale and Isco. That's only my opinion though.

Isco is not a winger though. He is an Attacking Midfielder, he doesn't even play a Center Midfielder (as in box-box).

Mata couldn't ever dream of replacing Bale as a winger. Mata plays as a R/L Attacking Midfielder in MU then.

Isco has played as a right winger in a 4231 formation against Bilbao! I'm not sure about other matches though.



                
       ---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

While this season's Eden Hazard is a shell of himself, let's not exaggerate too much. There's a lack of top superstars, but players do get transferred around these clubs often.



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

What's soccer? Is it something you eat?

I think he may be right though.



Around the Network

i don't really get the poll

do you mean who is better than barca,real & bayern,no one is the answer that goes for every other club in europe



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

Well, this discussion has been going on for a few years now. At this point it would be hard to deny that there has been a general problem for PL teams in CL and EL. With the exception of Chelsea 2011-12, they often tend to get knocked out as soon as they face tough competition, if not before that.
It's a bizarre feeling when a few years ago you saw people saying "I hope we get drawn against Manchester United." That's not something you would hear 10 years ago. About any top PL team, for that matter.
I agree that most of the best players tend to gravitate towards the clubs he mentioned. In particular the Spanish ones.

Steven Gerrard said this in an interview:

"We had a private conversation and he said, 'Give us another season and wait for Barcelona, you are too good for Arsenal'.

"Last summer when he was out in the cold and training on his own that’s the conversation I had with him. I said, 'Don’t go to Arsenal’.

"I would have been really sad and disappointed to see Luis go to Arsenal. With all due respect to them, I said to him that he was too good for Arsenal. I said if you score 30 goals for us and win the PFA Player of the Year, the press Player of the Year – I knew he was going to win them – I told him Real or Barcelona will come for you.

"I think he got the wrong advice last year from people around him, from people saying he needed to play in the Champions League and it did not matter who it was for.

"I have experience of the Spanish clubs myself and I know if you play well they will come back and come back. I knew they’d be back for him as well.

"I just thought for his own sake, to get respect off the Liverpool fans, he had to give us at least one year. A lot of people might still think he should have given us one more, but my big dream was to play for Liverpool, and the foreign players’ big dream is to play for Real Madrid or Barcelona, that’s a fact."



danielrdp said:
What's soccer? Is it something you eat?

I think he may be right though.

Instead of Theater Ball, I call it what's been called in the US since the inception of the sport, Soccer.