By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP LT sales indicates that psv is heavily overtracked now due to the huge adjsutment up of april! While previously, Vgc wasn't really undertracking it or maybe it was overtracking it moderately!

KLAMarine said:
If math suggests Vita is overtracked then it should be adjusted.

That's sort of the point of this website.

The problem is the maths is based on a 82 million shipped number for PSP that can't be confirmed to have come from Sony by the way it's provided in the sole reference (the IGN link). It's even more muddled by the fact IGN quote 80million in a later article.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:

Hmm, may be. It just seems weird that we'd get PSP numbers in some random interview, but not in financial reports or anything like that.

Can't really say I care much about Vita numbers anymore, Sony have stopped releasing shipped numbers for their handhelds (at least they didn't give them in their last report) so I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer to the Wii U vs PSV thing (which is the only reason anyone cares at all about these numbers at this point.)

It's not because people care about the accuracy of vg numbers?

I doubt it, and that's kinda a lost cause at this point. The 3DS has been confirmed a million overtracked for almost a year now, and that's with stronger evidence than this thread has, and people don't really care about that.

Hmmmm,I think somewhat more likely!:P Still hasn't been adjusted down wtf... Hyperbole!:P

czecherychestnut said:
KLAMarine said:
If math suggests Vita is overtracked then it should be adjusted.

That's sort of the point of this website.

The problem is the maths is based on a 82 million shipped number for PSP that can't be confirmed to have come from Sony by the way it's provided in the sole reference (the IGN link). It's even more muddled by the fact IGN quote 80million in a later article.

No it's not,IGN in the other article uses an outdated number,80m was as of November 2013!

Discussing an experience he had recently in Tokyo, in which he was given one of the last 30 PSPs ever manufactured as a present (there are 82 million PSPs in the wild), then in the end:Layden,as well as a Sony PR representative present during the interview,declined to talk specific sales numbers for Vita.

This means that he had been asked for psv/psp sales and just didn't give an anwser for vita(but gave for psp),the reasons are obvious...

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252180/playstation-vita-sales-picking-up-due-to-ps4-remote-play-psp-shipments-top-game-boy-advance/

President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America Shawn Layden has told IGN that while PlayStation Vita sales are lower than expected, sales have picked up in the most recent months due t the PS4 Remote Play. He also feels it is the best handheld gaming experience when compared to the competition.

"I believe that Vita is the best handheld gaming experience, full stop, period," said Layden. "Nothing comes close to that. You can talk about your mobile, you can talk about your tablet, you can talk about, you know, Nintendo platforms or what have you in the handheld space. I think, pound-for-pound, buck-for-buck, Vita is the best gaming experience you can have."

"Vita sales have actually been picking up ever since we enabled Remote Play on the handheld," added Layden. "There's a lot of interest in the PS4 community to have that opportunity. We have not stood back from it. We have not started to withdraw from it. I think we're just seeing it maybe move into a new place as far as game content goes. But I'm still keen on it, I still play [it], and I still bring it up with the development community when I see them."

Layden also talked about how he owns one of the last 30 PSPs ever manufactured. It is also stated that lifetime shipments for the PSP have hit 82 million worldwide. That edges out the Game Boy Advance which sold 81.51 million units worldwide in its lifetime.

Trunkswd(william d'angelο),the famous vgc writer surmised the same thing with me,it's not that hard to see it,Ign wouldn't say that if they haven't been informed,they would just use an outdated number,which was 80m as of November 2013...   

I knew that Vita adjustment was BS.

You should add a poll just for the chaos..

Some men just want to watch the World burn

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
You should add a poll just for the chaos..

Some men just want to watch the World burn

I was thinking to do it but wouldn't be far-fetched?And what should I ask''do you think it's right or wrong?''

Are you in them?

The Vita is a failed console with or without those 2 million.

But if this is true then it is actually bad for ANY handheld gamer, since this only reinforces the notion that handhelds are indeed dying.Anyways if your calculations are correct, I agree that the Vita numbers should be adjusted.

RolStoppable said:

PSP numbers are something to brag about, so Layden may have just forgotten for a moment that he shouldn't hand out internal numbers because that would allow people to do some maths to arrive at PSV numbers. So the conversation was about past success and Layden spilled the beans, and that's all there is to it. Of course, that 82m number is likely rounded (after all, it was a normal interview), so there is some margin of error here.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first time that a Sony executive slipped up in regards to handheld numbers. Even Hirai himself made the mistake to reveal the shipment total of 2.2m by the end of June 2012 (which put the PSV at 0.4m for the quarter, behind the PSP).

That's absolutely possible.

Honestly, I shouldn't be bringing down OP's work so much, because based on the numbers available I think he's drawn some solid conclusions.  I'm just really not convinced this 82m figure should be taken as gospel when it can be interpreted either as something IGN have edited in just as much as it can be interpreted as something that Layden has said.

(One thing I can agree on is that ioi tacking sales onto Europe in one big chunk is not the way to fix whatever tracking issues he has, but i don't think he knows enough about the European market anymore to be able to accurately represent what's going on there).

Either way, I dont think we're ever getting enough clarity on this to be able to say anything for certain.

tak13 said:

I was thinking to do it but wouldn't be far-fetched?And what should I ask''do you think it's right or wrong?''

Are you in them?

Undertracked

overtracked

spot on

i don't care about vgchartz numbers anymore

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Kresnik said:
RolStoppable said:

PSP numbers are something to brag about, so Layden may have just forgotten for a moment that he shouldn't hand out internal numbers because that would allow people to do some maths to arrive at PSV numbers. So the conversation was about past success and Layden spilled the beans, and that's all there is to it. Of course, that 82m number is likely rounded (after all, it was a normal interview), so there is some margin of error here.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first time that a Sony executive slipped up in regards to handheld numbers. Even Hirai himself made the mistake to reveal the shipment total of 2.2m by the end of June 2012 (which put the PSV at 0.4m for the quarter, behind the PSP).

That's absolutely possible.

Honestly, I shouldn't be bringing down OP's work so much, because based on the numbers available I think he's drawn some solid conclusions.  I'm just really not convinced this 82m figure should be taken as gospel when it can be interpreted either as something IGN have edited in just as much as it can be interpreted as something that Layden has said.

Either way, I dont think we're ever getting enough clarity on this to be able to say anything for certain.

Thank you so much for recognizing my effort and my points dear krezzie after reproving me previously!I'm appreciating that!

Well,I have to point out that Rolstoppable has contributed to that,generally  with  his illuminating comments in the thead which have reinforced my opening post,so I thank him too! :P