By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Pope: Workers Have 'Human Right' to Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

aLkaLiNE said:
Hiku said:

Equality means each person is considered for the job under the same criteria, and their performance is judged the same way. If one employee is fired because they refuse to do their job, then so should another. Religion should be respected in a workplace, as long as it doesn't interfear with their work. This is not a matter of equality, but a matter of incompetence. Miss Davis is not a competent person for that job, since she refuses to carry out certain duties.
Should an abortion clinic keep an employee who sorts out all the inventory, but refuses to assist in the proceedure if they're supposed to? No, then they should hire someone who is willing to do both things.
When I went to get my passport renewed the other day, I shouldn't have to be worried about the officer having joined some new religion and refusing to renew my passport for whatever reason. It's a public service. Not "we'll serve you if we feel like it."

The circumstance for what occured in this situation needs to be taken into account as well though;

First off, gay marriage JUST got legalized nationwide.  Her preference on sexuality did not have to be taken into account before, considering she was hired before this movement caught fire. It was simply a man marrying a woman.

So at the intitial point of her hiring, she was not unqualified.  She became unqualified when a new law had passed that clashed with her morals.  This is a text book case of discrimination but it's simply not as cut and dry - there's more going on here on a moral level that's hard to measure.  

Anyway I knew this was an uphill battle coming in so I concede lol.  It's pleasing to hold a conversation with such collected and intelligent folks here.

Would like to make it clear, while I disagree with her stance on this, I believe her only wrong in this entire debacle is she didn't resign.  I feel that's intentionally forcing her beliefs upon the ~130K residents of Rowan County, which is absolutely wrong under the spirit of what this country was founded upon.  She's entitled to believe/think what she wants, however.

Around the Network

Only if you can equally refuse to allow Catholics to get married. Lets see how long he keeps it up when on a level playing field rather than the one of perpetual privilege religions are used to.

I hate religion so fucking much.

Hiku said:

That is true. When she was hired, she was qualified. And evidently she handled it well, because she's earned herself a high position.
So rather than firing her, I think it would be more appropriate to perhaps reassign her to a position that benefits more from her skills, while not conflicting with her religious beliefs, if possible.

And if you say concede because I wrote a wall of text and you cant be bothered to reply to it all, then that's not really the same thing, but it's ok either way. lol
It is nice to hold conversations from different viewpoints where people actually present their arguments properly, instead of resorting to personal attacks, etc.

Hahah.....

>.>

I don't want to be one of those posters that simulatenously argues with three different people at once over the same subject. It's not you, I promise! That is funny you said that though. I had begun responding but kept adjusting it and just gave up lol.

In the pope's defense, he said conscientious objection is a human right, not necessarily that denying same-sex marriage licenses is a human right.

Kim Davis can go shove it still.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
naruball said:

If i go to a thread that is about nintendo, a thread that reggie says something stupid as hell like he said some times or microsoft pr or sony pr, and i post saying inb4 stupid nintendo fanboys or in before stupid sony or microsoft fanboys what do you think will hapen ?

Er, a shitstorm? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't happen.

Apparently the Pope had time to meet with Kim Davis:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/county-clerk-kim-davis-who-denied-gay-couples-visited-pope.html?_r=0

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

generic-user-1 said:
Kennel83 said:
Everybody should be able to get married if they want to, and nobody should give a f#ck whether it's a gay or a straight marriage.

Now, everybody should also have the right to disagree with it, even feel disgusted about it, and there is your human right. But the reason you disagree with something doesn't give you the right to forbid other people to do what you don't like.

And when someone uses the Bible to hate other people is, sorry, but just stupid. I respect christians but, come on, those are your beliefs, not everybody elses. Also, why do christians always use the Bible when they don't like something as if that was reason enough to hate others or forbid something because God said so, but what about all the things christians do but God forbids in the bible? What about divorce? Abortion? Raping? Pre-marriage sex? Lying? Murder? God lets christians do those things now or what? That's so hypocritical!

It's about time everybody starts living their own lives not giving a fuck whether the rest of the world lives as we do or not. Let other people have their own beliefs.

And just to finish, why do christians always talk shit about gay marriage but they shut up when a priest or someone from the church rapes a child? Where are you then? How many articles are written about that? Or why do they shut up when there are arranged marriages between men and small girls? Does the girl want to get married? Isn't she forced to get married? Or what about polygamy?

If a man wants to get married with his male partner, they are both adults and it's consensual, who cares if they get married? I really don't care if two men or two women get married, they are not hurting me nor my family, they are not killing anyone. They are just getting married, good for them.

there is not one word about evil gays in the core bible. the only clear part is in the old testament, and well the old testament is maybe the most inhumane book in printing ever. even mein kampf doesnt have passages about enslaving your own children or killing people because they wear cloth of 2 different materials.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 disagrees with you.

naruball said:
spurgeonryan said:
XanderXT said:
Inb4 Stupid Christians!

What is stupid about me?

Xander is clearly referring to stupid Christians, not the reasonable ones. I'm a Christian and do not support what that woman is doing. I also find not resigning from a job you can't do, stupid. There are stupid Christians just like there are stupid republicans and stupid democrats. Doesn't mean that everyone who's a republican is stupid. So, if you consider yourself a stupid Christian, then that comment refers to you. If you don't, it doesn't. I, for example, wasn't offended.

Wow, you actually got me!

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Thank you, Pope Francis, for hastening the inevitable demise of your fellowship.

How so? Because last I checked Islam which has even worse views of same sex relationship is growing.