By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can you choose what you believe?

mesoteto said:
Kasz216 said:
mesoteto said:
^thats not true..if god were to come down from heaven and start up a conversation with an atheist are you telling me that wouldn't change their beliefs in a day?

Nope.

I'm not even an atheist... but if god came out of nowhere and started talking to me i'd expect he was some sort of hallucination/alien/guy from the future/dream etc.

what if he was able to perfomr feats of wonder and miracerls

If God were to appear there would be no way to deny what/who He is.  That'd be akin to denying existence itself, as they are one in the same.  But this isn't a religious debate, let's keep it out.

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
Kasz216 said:
mesoteto said:
^thats not true..if god were to come down from heaven and start up a conversation with an atheist are you telling me that wouldn't change their beliefs in a day?

Nope.

I'm not even an atheist... but if god came out of nowhere and started talking to me i'd expect he was some sort of hallucination/alien/guy from the future/dream etc.

what if he was able to perfomr feats of wonder and miracerls

Well, that doesn't rule out any of those things. After all, I can hallucinate miracles. Future/Alien technology could possible create things that look like miracles to me. For example, Jesus turning water to wine could always be some kind atom rearranger. While making lots of food where there used to be a little could be like a Star Trek replicator.

I mean god could likely make you believe it was him via god powers. But having a higher power over you who can make you believe something doesn't get in the way of free will in my book. Unless he actually does do it.

I was a born skeptic though... after all aside from "god power" making you believe he was god... the devil is also portrayed with similar powers, as are many other evil gods/daemons in other religions.

fkusumot said:

Can you choose what you believe?

For instance I believe that relationships with other people are one of the most important aspects of life.
Is it possible for me to wake up up one morning and just on a whim decide to change that belief and instead believe that relationships with other people aren't a very important part of life.

Can we choose what we believe, and why or why not?

Maybe if your depressed. Otherwise, i think it would take a lot of effort and time because you are basically fighting a war with yourself to change yourself... and if your happy or content with yourself why would you change somehing? 

It could be done, but not on a whim and would involve a bit of "Self brainwashing." or "Self finding the truth" which are kinda the same thing, the only difference is if the message is seen as right or not.

If I suddently wanted to be a racist on a whim I guess I could expose myself to only racist writings and info for a couple months and eventually racism would start to take hold.  This would be seen as brainwashing.

Then I could deicde i don't want to be a racist, and watch videos about positive things other races have done, and after a while i'd be forced to change my mind back.  That'd be considered "finding the truth"

Though I guess that's a tangent it's something I just thought of.  Guess it's why I always respected my parents
 view on religion that was "Look at the world and all the different religions and pick one... or don't, whatever."

It's also likely why cults, religions, Primerica etc. try to recruit people who seem sad, broke or in some other way wanting to change something.

You can always choose to believe in anything.

I choose to believe every girl gamer I talk to on the web/games is semi-nude and extremely hot. Is it remotely true, probably not, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in it.

@SUPER----ROFL-----

@Kas--i am not talking about religon or anything i am simply using god as an example b/c its easy to point at him and not believe...

lets switch to big foot---you can not believe in one but if walking thru the woods some day a giant man ape thing came up to you and say "hey did you see me in that henderson movie"--wouldn't that be a radical belief changer?

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
@SUPER----ROFL-----

@Kas--i am not talking about religon or anything i am simply using god as an example b/c its easy to point at him and not believe...

lets switch to big foot---you can not believe in one but if walking thru the woods some day a giant man ape thing came up to you and say "hey did you see me in that henderson movie"--wouldn't that be a radical belief changer?

You know what?  I'd say no to that too.  First off, if it spoke English I'd think it was some guy with some growth disorder. Or one of those people with hair covering their entire body... a very large one.

But if it was just a bigfoot (or Sasquatch to use the Canadian term) then likely I'd be inclined to believe it at first, but then as no one else did since I didn't capture it, and my film is 'obviously faked' over time I'd begin to question it myself.

superchunk said:

I choose to believe every girl gamer I talk to on the web/games is semi-nude and extremely hot. Is it remotely true, probably not, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in it.

I believe a good chunk of them are guys, and possibly gay guys, but know what? I like your belief system better, I'll try to visualize that going forward, cause it's just more fun.

Yes, if you want, you can choose what you believe. Sometimes it is easy, and sometimes you need to trick, or force yourself into believing it.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

yes - it's not in ur DNA so of course you can

Gamerace said:
superchunk said:

I believe a good chunk of them are guys, and possibly gay guys, but know what? I like your belief system better, I'll try to visualize that going forward, cause it's just more fun.

See I always just think they're all straight guy power gamers who act like girls because it pays off to be girl gamers in gaming now a days since girl characters don't have the arbitrary stat differences anymore.

I mean... if it's a FPS.  If a girl kicks your ass some gamers (stupidly) are going to be demoralized by that or make them let their guard down, play more erratic in other words... higher kill count.

If it's a MMORPG.  Girls are more likely to just get stuff free and have people tank for them or hang out with them.

If it's a message board, people are more likely to agree with you, less likely to disagree with you and if they do likely suggest your a dude and make themselves look like an ass and ruin their arguement even if they have a point.

A lot of girl gamers actually pretend to be guys just to avoid all the annoying extra attention.