By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony announces SOCOM Confrontation for PS3

Sony has announced a PlayStation 3 entry in its popular SOCOM series, namely SOCOM Confrontation. Given the abundance of obscenely large weapons, it seems a fair guess that all confrontations in the game will end in violence and battered egos. That's precisely what Sony's counting on, as the game does away with single-player pleasantries and prioritizes online mayhem.

Supporting up to 32 players in battle, Confrontation will launch with five North African themed maps, with further map packs becoming available for download in the PlayStation Store. Outside of conflict, the game will allow you to set up tournaments and clans, access leader boards and completely customize your soldier's appearance. Generally, you'll want to go with a constant frown on that virtual mug. Blissfully smiling soldiers are just begging for bullets, you know.

SOCOM Confrontation is scheduled for release during the holiday season on the PlayStation Network.

Around the Network

I've been impressed with the PS3 lately...though this doesn't look that special.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I've been impressed with the PS3 lately...though this doesn't look that special.

what are you basing that on? Graphics? I never played SOCOM, but I do know the games are really popular for their gameplay. 

"I've been impressed with the PS3 lately...though this doesn't look that special." honestly tho..i was looking forward to socom on ps3,btw socom is one of my fav PS games, and this doesnt even convince in the slightest to get a ps3..

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

"That's precisely what Sony's counting on, as the game does away with single-player pleasantries and prioritizes online mayhem."

With all of these announcements about online-only games, it looks like Sony has microsoft right in their sights.

Around the Network

"what are you basing that on? Graphics? I never played SOCOM, but I do know the games are really popular for their gameplay. " dude, playstation 3 is a 600 dollar system. their man gig is graphics. so ya...

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

It's definitely no Gears... Which is the bar it will be held to until Halo 3 goes Gold.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
It's definitely no Gears... Which is the bar it will be held to until Halo 3 goes Gold.

halo 3 graphics are not impressive but the gameplay is still fun

Ya...I mean, it's got that typical Counter Strike look to it. Something original like Gears of War will get my attention about the PS3, not this. Little Big Planet got my attention, Uncharted got my attention, Call of Duty 4 got my attention. This looks too typical.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Dude I thought the PS3 was supposed to be the single-player haven console, what is with all these online-only games. Not even split-screen multiplayer!