By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
illdill1987 said:
zorg1000 said:

Exactly how many Nintendo games do u know of that try to be realistic/atmospheric? Like 1/20 and u even claimed earlier that u pretty much only like Nintendo games, u seem to be contradicting urself.

No, not at all. Zelda, Metroid even a game like Luigis Mansion is incredibly atmospheric. And better graphics could help all those games out. Wandering through a fantasy world in zelda or a futuristic space ship in Metroid or a dark and foggy cemetary in Luigis mansion. The mood in all those games could benefit a great deal from advanced technology.... Also Pikmin... What are you talking about Nintendo games are not atmopsheric? You might not realize it because the graphics are a generation behind.

U do realize there has never been a Zelda, Metroid or Luigi's Mansion title on Wii U, right? The previous installments of all those franchises appeared on Wii/3DS which are like 1/50th the power of Wii U so u have absolutely no idea how realistic/atmospheric those titles could be on Wii U level hardware.

Nintendo doesn't need to be as powerful as the competitors to make beautiful games, take a look at Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3/Mario Galaxy, despite being on vastly inferior hardware, these games still looked great even compared to 360/PS3 games at the time.

Same goes for this generation, games like Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X all look great despite being on significantly weaker hardware than PS4/XB1 while also being all of these teams first HD projects.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Magnus said:
I don't think Iwata understood the console market at all, not with the Wii U and not with the NX. If the Nikkei rumors is true, they did not think the Wii U got little third party support because of power but because of the OS. So they will likely release a new console with Android that is at most, half as powerful as the Xbox One.

Power isn't the reason either, Wii U is more powerful than PS3/360 yet it didn't get Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Colonial Marines, Grand Theft Auto V, Lost Planet 3, Tomb Raider, Dead Island: Riptide, Saints Row IV, Devil May Cry, Army of Two , Lightning Returns, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield: Hardline, Metro: Last Light, Need for Speed Rivals, Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Fuse, Grid 2, Remember Me, XCOM Declassified, Madden 25, Madden 2015, FIFA 14, FIFA 15, Lords of Shadow 2, Thief, Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2, Ground Zeroes, Wolfenstien: New Order, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Diablo III, Destiny, Aliens: Isolation, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, Evil Within, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor.

All major 3rd party releases in 2013/2014 that came to PS3/360 but not Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
illdill1987 said:

No, not at all. Zelda, Metroid even a game like Luigis Mansion is incredibly atmospheric. And better graphics could help all those games out. Wandering through a fantasy world in zelda or a futuristic space ship in Metroid or a dark and foggy cemetary in Luigis mansion. The mood in all those games could benefit a great deal from advanced technology.... Also Pikmin... What are you talking about Nintendo games are not atmopsheric? You might not realize it because the graphics are a generation behind.

U do realize there has never been a Zelda, Metroid or Luigi's Mansion title on Wii U, right? The previous installments of all those franchises appeared on Wii/3DS which are like 1/50th the power of Wii U so u have absolutely no idea how realistic/atmospheric those titles could be on Wii U level hardware.

Nintendo doesn't need to be as powerful as the competitors to make beautiful games, take a look at Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3/Mario Galaxy, despite being on vastly inferior hardware, these games still looked great even compared to 360/PS3 games at the time.

Same goes for this generation, games like Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X all look great despite being on significantly weaker hardware than PS4/XB1 while also being all of these teams first HD projects.

I know they could look good... But they could always look better had Nintendo made competent hardware. And besides Nintendo occasionally doesn't even use the full potential of its own hardware. Just look at StarFox! And personally I don't think Smash Bros upgraded graphically enough. That being said I will admit what I have seen from Zelda matches anything I have seen on ps4 or X1. Mario Kart 8 also very happy with but imagine what they could accomplish with ps4 level hardware I mean it would look like a pixar movie.

zorg1000 said:
Magnus said:
I don't think Iwata understood the console market at all, not with the Wii U and not with the NX. If the Nikkei rumors is true, they did not think the Wii U got little third party support because of power but because of the OS. So they will likely release a new console with Android that is at most, half as powerful as the Xbox One.

Power isn't the reason either, Wii U is more powerful than PS3/360 yet it didn't get Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Colonial Marines, Grand Theft Auto V, Lost Planet 3, Tomb Raider, Dead Island: Riptide, Saints Row IV, Devil May Cry, Army of Two , Lightning Returns, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield: Hardline, Metro: Last Light, Need for Speed Rivals, Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Fuse, Grid 2, Remember Me, XCOM Declassified, Madden 25, Madden 2015, FIFA 14, FIFA 15, Lords of Shadow 2, Thief, Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2, Ground Zeroes, Wolfenstien: New Order, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Diablo III, Destiny, Aliens: Isolation, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, Evil Within, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor.

Power was the main reason nobody bought a Wii U on launch so none of these franchises came. Most gamers were expected a console that was at least several times more powerful than the 360/PS3. Instead it was a console on the same power level with issues on several launch titles. The launch titles didn't give a compelling reason for 360/PS3 owners to buy a Wii U so the console bombed. It didn't help that the only third-party exclusive that was to be released on mid 2013 and that every one was interested in was delayed several months and ported to the 360/PS3.

illdill1987 said:
zorg1000 said:

I know they could look good... But they could always look better had Nintendo made competent hardware. And besides Nintendo occasionally doesn't even use the full potential of its own hardware. Just look at StarFox! And personally I don't think Smash Bros upgraded graphically enough. That being said I will admit what I have seen from Zelda matches anything I have seen on ps4 or X1. Mario Kart 8 also very happy with but imagine what they could accomplish with ps4 level hardware I mean it would look like a pixar movie.

And that's all that matters? Just visuals? The fact that Nintendo still pumps out amazing games doesn't matter because they could look better with more advanced hardware. If that's the case than why doesn't Nintendo releases a $10,000 console? I'm sure it would have amazing specs that blows PS5 out of the water!!!!!

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
illdill1987 said:

And that's all that matters? Just visuals? The fact that Nintendo still pumps out amazing games doesn't matter because they could look better with more advanced hardware. If that's the case than why doesn't Nintendo releases a $10,000 console? I'm sure it would have amazing specs that blows PS5 out of the water!!!!!

Mock him all you want, at the end of the day, you own a Wii U and he doesn't. Tell me, will you consider the NX successful if the platform (assuming handheld and home console) sells less than 50 million? Because that's the sales you can expect if Nintendo keeps catering to people like you, and not people like him.

You don't seem to understand, making Nintendo fanboys happy is the easiest way for Nintendo to guarantee poor sales. The hardcore Nintendo fanbase continues to dwindle, and Nintendo's presence in the industry continues to dwindle with it.

Magnus said:
zorg1000 said:

Power was the main reason nobody bought a Wii U on launch so none of these franchises came. Most gamers were expected a console that was at least several times more powerful than the 360/PS3. Instead it was a console on the same power level with issues on several launch titles. The launch titles didn't give a compelling reason for 360/PS3 owners to buy a Wii U so the console bombed. It didn't help that the only third-party exclusive that was to be released on mid 2013 and that every one was interested in was delayed several months and ported to the 360/PS3.

Many of those games released in the launch window (first few months) so by the time 3rd parties found out Wii U wasn't selling well, these games would have already been nearing completion. That means sales had no bearing on whether or not many of those games came to Wii U, because they were never planned for Wii U to begin with. That's why the people saying all Nintendo needs to do is make a console that's more powerful than PS4 and everything will be fine are extremely niave.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Mock him all you want, at the end of the day, you own a Wii U and he doesn't. Tell me, will you consider the NX successful if the platform (assuming handheld and home console) sells less than 50 million? Because that's the sales you can expect if Nintendo keeps catering to people like you, and not people like him.

You don't seem to understand, making Nintendo fanboys happy is the easiest way for Nintendo to guarantee poor sales. The hardcore Nintendo fanbase continues to dwindle, and Nintendo's presence in the industry continues to dwindle with it.

U must have missed the part earlier in the thread where he said all he cares about are Nintendo games, he even admitted that there are great Wii U games with great visuals but if the next Nintendo console isn't a large leap over PS4 than he will quit gaming altogether. No matter what way u slice it, that's a very dumb way of thinking.

You don't understand, completely changing who u are in order to appeal to people who don't give a shit about u is the easiest way to guarantee poor sales. Just making a copy of what Sony/Microsoft make in order to get multiplats isn't going to convince anybody to choose Nintendo over them. What incentive will the people who play shooters/sports/racing/action games on Playstation/Xbox have for switching to Nintendo?

sc94597 said:
StarOcean said:
I doubt it will beat the PS4 in performance, I think even wishing for it to beat the X1 is pushing it. Nintendo is just not interested in hardware power, unfortunately

It wouldn't be hard to beat the X1 in power if Nintendo keeps the $300 price-tag for the home form-factor.

Unless Nintendo doesn't go x86, then outperforming the X1 is a given, and matching the PS4 seems likely, especially if they go with a newer AMD APU that outperforms Jaguar.

How so? It will be hardware on the same 28nm process. The later Puma APUs are at best a 10-15% boost over the Jaguar architecture, so Nintendo would still need to come very close to the X1's power envelope to match it. It's going to be either an Oland XT GPU (the same on current AMD APUs) or a rather underclocked, undervolted Bonaire PRO, which at best places them within some 80% of the X1.

New boss, new dream. NX pushed back in order to add some real power.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.