By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one that thinks RE 4 was a huge breakthrough for the franchise?

it be a breakthrough if they used the environments and enemys of the first titles and not 3rd world countrys and fantasy enemies

just imagine sonys dead nations in a 3rd person shooter

re4 wasnt the first to use the over the shoulder concept either i believe it was seen a year or 2 earlier in killswitch and winback

i liked the game and rate it high but the RE ive known was gone with re4 so i have a love hate relationship with it

re4 just brought it to the mainstream and then later seen in gears

Play Me

Around the Network

Opposite, resi 4 was widely praised ( or was it resi 0 first)
But I share the same as most. Although a great game, fucked up the 'classic' resi to do it.

I fucking loved RE4.

My kingdom for another like it.

It's the only RE people talk about, so no. Probably not

Ka-pi96 said:
No, you're not the only one who thinks that.

Although I think pretty much the opposite. Ruined the franchise for me. Thought it was by far the worst game in it, yes even worse than 5/6.

HERETIC!

But in all seriousness I can see why you would think that. I feel like RE4 represents the tonal shift that many rag on RE for these days. And while I love the game itself the ones that came after it really just went all over the place in the worse ways possible. 

To the OP: I feel as though it provided a breakthrough in the sense that it attracted a new kind of audience and introduced many new mechanics to the franchise. But it also inadvertently set the RE franchise on the course to becoming a shell of its former self. 

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
it be a breakthrough if they used the environments and enemys of the first titles and not 3rd world countrys and fantasy enemies

re4 wasnt the first to use the over the shoulder concept either i believe it was seen a year or 2 earlier in killswitch and winback

i liked the game and rate it high but the RE ive known was gone with re4 so i have a love hate relationship with it

Just a correction here. RE4 takes place in Spain, and Spain is definitely a first world country. 

invetedlotus123 said:
BHR-3 said:

Just a correction here. RE4 takes place in Spain, and Spain is definitely a first world country. 

I don't know what shit Mikami smoke, but having latin americans armed with shovels and knives, and using pesetas  as currency doesn't make anywhere "Spain".

4 wasn't bad, but it put the franchise on a path I didn't like. However, I do realize that a LOT of people absolutely 4 and I can respect that.

Wright said:
invetedlotus123 said:
BHR-3 said:

I don't know what shit Mikami smoke, but having latin americans armed with shovels and knives, and using pesetas  as currency doesn't make anywhere "Spain".

Yeah, it was an alternative Spain... But isn`t Pesetas the currency Spain used before Euros?

invetedlotus123 said:
Wright said:

Yeah, it was an alternative Spain... But isn`t Pesetas the currency Spain used before Euros?

Yes, but the amount the player received / used for exhange made me think they had zero clue about them xD