By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one that thinks RE 4 was a huge breakthrough for the franchise?

No, you're not.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
No, you're not the only one who thinks that.

Although I think pretty much the opposite. Ruined the franchise for me. Thought it was by far the worst game in it, yes even worse than 5/6.

Funny. I thought i was one of the rare ones that thought that way.

RE4 just didnt do it for me. Between the spanish speaking zombies, the pain and cliche that was Ashley and how the pace of the story was slow and uninteresting after code:veronica left me disappointed. Also, those traps all over the place. Who thought good gameplay was to constantly look at the ground in a shoulder 3rd person camera has me puzzled. It was incredibly frustrating.

I keep thinking the game was fully aimed at the US market due to those factors (spanish speaking zombies, rescuing the president's daughter). It seems too convinient to have been a coincidence. As a result, i think the game satisfied the US market, but those of us who just get imersion broken when zombies speak and don't bet a hard-on from saving the president's daughter are just left scratching our heads frustrated at all the traps in the ground.

Ada should have appeared sooner, though it all ends up beeing a rewind of RE2.

I must say the setting was also incredibly grey/brown. Not very atractive at all.

RE4 is great.
I don't mind 5, haven't played 6 yet.
It was certainly a transitional game for the series and should have almost been a spin off instead of a continuation.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I don´t like the path RE4 puth the franchise on and I think RE2 is still the best one, but RE4 was a complete masterpiece.

I would love for Resident Evil to exist both in Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4 styles.

I'd love for Capcom to make pre-rendered background Resident Evil games even as digital games.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
I would love for Resident Evil to exist both in Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4 styles.

I'd love for Capcom to make pre-rendered background Resident Evil games even as digital games.

Pre-rendered backrounds, tank controls and fixed camera angles for full nostalgia.

RE4 blew my mind when it came out and it even holds up pretty well by today's standards in terms of presentation and gameplay.

DeusXmachina said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Pre-rendered backrounds, tank controls and fixed camera angles for full nostalgia.

And limited amount of ink ribbons to limit the instances of saving progress!

I remember those pre-rendered backgrounds and entering a new room/re-entering one. I would enter and stand still, waiting for sounds to reveal if there was an enemy/what enemy there was in the room since you couldn't move the camera to scan the room. Good times. :)

AbbathTheGrim said:

DeusXmachina said:

And limited amount of ink ribbons to limit the instances of saving progress!

I remember those pre-rendered backgrounds and entering a new room/re-entering one. I would enter and stand still, waiting for sounds to reveal if there was an enemy/what enemy there was in the room since you couldn't move the camera to scan the room. Good times. :)

I remember there was a zombie in front of me and couldn't see anything because of the fixed camera so i just aimed low with my magnum, pulled the trigger and it's leg flew towards the camera. Great stuff!

DeusXmachina said:

I remember there was a zombie in front of me and couldn't see anything because of the fixed camera so i just aimed low with my magnum, pulled the trigger and it's leg flew towards the camera. Great stuff!

Yeah, legs would break into pieces like threads before they disintegrated. Shotguns were the crowd control during zombie gatherings. :D

First Resident Evil were a real survival experience. I would feel the satisfaction of escaping a room without killing anything, to run past zombies or lickers, and saving ammunition because it was precious.

Then the game would purposely make you backtrack to those locations and make you wonder: 'are those creatures/zombies I left behind gone already?'

RE isn't like that anymore thanks to zombies shitting items and amo when you kill them. :(