By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Yes 184 50.14%

No 126 34.33%

Its more complicated than that 37 10.08%

Who gives a shit! 20 5.45%

Total:367

Yes. The whole debate is stupid. The only difference is size and that one comes with its own screen bundled in. The games aren't even fucking different anymore.

It's not "console or handheld," it's home console or handheld console. The only differentiating factor is portability.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
pokoko said:
The trouble seems to be that a lot of people think the word "console" is specific to video games. That surprises the hell out of me but I guess it shouldn't.

Home video-game consoles are only TYPES of consoles, they are NOT where the term originated and they are certainly not the defining principle.

With regard to gaming, the assumption is that the discussion is about video game consoles. The debate, its not a debate honestly, is whether or not Handhelds are considered consoles. The issue is by assuming home console is the only console, then we have to use retarded terms like dedicated gaming device to describe both handhelds and consoles despite the fact that this is what a video game console is.

All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares.

Because it's about gaming does not mean it supersedes correct usage.

The argument people are presenting that handhelds are not consoles is basically this:  "An ATV is an 'All Terrain Vehicle', therefore it's synonymous with the word vehicle, which means that cars, boats, and motorcycles are NOT vehicles."  That, clearly, is rubbish.  It doesn't matter if people start calling ATVs 'vehicles', it would still be nothing more than jargon.

If someone says "consoles" when they only mean "home consoles", then they failed to establish the context they intended.  When all they had to do was type four letter to specifiy what they meant, that's kind of ridiculous.

Goodnightmoon said:

To say that a handheld console is not a console is just as stupid as saying that a mobile phone is not a phone because is mobile... WTF?

Bravo.

KLXVER said:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/games+console

/Thread

Right. That proves that handhelds are, in irrefutable fact, consoles.

Boutros said:

The point is to use terms that don't lead to confusion. Using "consoles" to talk about handhelds is simply confusing because handhelds have a name of their own whereas consoles are only called consoles. There's no other accepted term for something like the PS4. It's a console. But the 3DS can be called a handheld and no one will be confused on the matter. If you want to use a term that includes both consoles and handhelds than use "hardware". It isn't a question of actual definition of the word. It's about the definition that leads to the most comprehensible use.

Wrong. It's a home console.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

With regard to gaming, the assumption is that the discussion is about video game consoles. The debate, its not a debate honestly, is whether or not Handhelds are considered consoles. The issue is by assuming home console is the only console, then we have to use retarded terms like dedicated gaming device to describe both handhelds and consoles despite the fact that this is what a video game console is.

All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares.

Because it's about gaming does not mean it supersedes correct usage.

The argument people are presenting that handhelds are not consoles is basically this:  "An ATV is an 'All Terrain Vehicle', therefore it's synonymous with the word vehicle, which means that cars, boats, and motorcycles are NOT vehicles."  That, clearly, is rubbish.  It doesn't matter if people start calling ATVs 'vehicles', it would still be nothing more than jargon.

If someone says "consoles" when they only mean "home consoles", then they failed to establish the context they intended.  When all they had to do was type four letter to specifiy what they meant, that's kind of ridiculous.

I mean as opposed to the general definition of consoles, which is very broad and encompasses more than video games, irc it describes any special area or container of electrical equipment that serves a specific purpose, like the console of an aircraft or one of those old school PC consoles aka terminals, but I'm not an english major. I'm saying with regard to gaming its correct usage is referring to dedicated video game devices.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

estebxx said:
They are both gaming devices but they belong in different categories, one is stricktly for using at Home and even needs a display and the other one is made so you can use it outside.

its like comparing home phones with smarthphones, yes they both fill the same need of comunicating with others but they couldnt be more different.

It's not like comparing home phones with smartphones. It's like comparing home phones with mobile phones. They functionally do the exact same thing, only one is portable. If smartphones hadn't made home phones and regular cell phones completely obsolete, you bet your bottom dollar there'd be a "smart home phone" market with the exact same parellel.

Why do I find this heated debate so funny ?
I'm just linking what I said on the other thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7538866
And another example: Female tennis players and male tennis players are divided, but they are still tennis players both. Are subcategories not a thing?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

spemanig said:
Boutros said:

The point is to use terms that don't lead to confusion. Using "consoles" to talk about handhelds is simply confusing because handhelds have a name of their own whereas consoles are only called consoles. There's no other accepted term for something like the PS4. It's a console. But the 3DS can be called a handheld and no one will be confused on the matter. If you want to use a term that includes both consoles and handhelds than use "hardware". It isn't a question of actual definition of the word. It's about the definition that leads to the most comprehensible use.

Wrong. It's a home console.

No one calls them home consoles.

Slarvax said:
Why do I find this heated debate so funny ?
I'm just linking what I said on the other thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7538866
And another example: Female tennis players and male tennis players are divided, but they are still tennis players both. Are subcategories not a thing?

Ikr,

I'm just gonna keep repeating the following until it gets in people's heads: all squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank