By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Fantastic Four producer/writer: "I’m really focused on the next one"

If Fantastic Four 2 ever comes out, will you watch it?

Yes 1 2.70%

No 25 67.57%

They better make one hell... 1 2.70%

Of course, the first one ... 2 5.41%

Only if I do something wr... 6 16.22%

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... 2 5.41%

Total:37

- Fantastic Four writer and producer Simon Kinberg said during the Toronto National Film Festival to MTV News about a the sequel to Fantastic Four:

"I’m really focused on the next one,"

- in response to both the negative fan reaction and critical reception he said:

"I was obviously disappointed,"

"I was most disappointed that fans didn’t like it. I care more about them than I do anyone else. But I haven’t done a full deep dive on it. Do I think it was unfairly treated? I don’t know."

- on dealing with the negative reaction that film received he said:

"I’ve been on plenty of happy movies that don’t turn out to be very good movies, I’ve been on a lot of unhappy, difficult sets that turn out to be great movies. There was a lot of attention on the process of making that movie. It’s hard, when you’re making a movie, movies are hard to make. It’s just the reality."

- he shared his desire to stick with the same cast for a possible sequel, he said:

"I do believe there is a great 'Fantastic Four' movie that we’ve made with that cast. So I’m gonna figure out what that is,'"

"We’re figuring out what that movie would be. I’d like that to happen."

http://www.mtv.com/news/2269379/simon-kinberg-fantastic-four-2/

Wanna go for round two?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Sigh. Give the franchise back to Marvel already.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Are they actually going to try another one? The first one was an epic flop and I don't see how they can salvage it.

just no.... first one wasnt that great.

You're reboot performed worse than the sequel that caused you to want to reboot it in the first place. I think it's time to just give the franchise back to Marvel. That or be smart like Sony and have them involved with the production. That way we can see the FF in Marvel's movieverse, too.

Around the Network

Why does fox have such a hard on for the fantastic four franchise? They've clung to it for ages now and I don't see how the dreck they've churned out could have made them much, if any, money in theaters or dvd sales. Is the merchandise selling really well or something?

Jon-Erich said:
Sigh. Give the franchise back to Marvel already.

/thread

cheshirescat said:
Why does fox have such a hard on for the fantastic four franchise? They've clung to it for ages now and I don't see how the dreck they've churned out could have made them much, if any, money in theaters or dvd sales. Is the merchandise selling really well or something?

The first two didn't do bad at the box office.  I'm sure DVD sales were decent, as well.  However, I think they rebooted it because they wanted something along the success of the Marvel Studio movies.  Of course, they don't realize you can't just shit out a movie that changes many things about the characters, and expect the fans of those characters to just come and pay to lap up that shit.  The new one was an absolute flop.

Edit: Just to help illustrate how bad the new one performed, I'll compare the numbers.  The 1st FF movie cost them $100M and made $331M at the box office.  So, they got ~$182M from ticket sales, or a profit of ~$82M.  The 2nd on cost them $130M and made $289M.  So, they got ~159M, or a profit of $29M.  The reboot cost $110M to make and has only made $161M.  That means they have only gotten ~$89M for their cut, for a loss of $21M.

You gotta admire the determination at least, unless you don't care even for that. :P

I haven't seen the film yet so I my opinion is sort of in stand-by.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

TheGoldenBoy said:
Are they actually going to try another one? The first one was an epic flop and I don't see how they can salvage it.

The problem is it wasn't as epic a flop asit should have been. Unfortunately the rest of the world did not heed the reviews sufficiently to ensure it's total flop status as it would have if the US/rest of world split was more like 50/50 than 35/65. This made Fox thing, Oh Ho! if we can make a shitty piece of crap and earn $160 million, then if we make something merely mediocre we should be onto a winner. Drop the budget a bit and we won't even need to double that gross to make money.

Either that, or Kinberg got contracted for 2 movies and they haven't told him a sequel is off, yet.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix