By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blah blah This gen will be the last blah blah Pachter

I've found a great way to be right when talking about video games: I read what the Pachter idiot says and I predict the opposite!

Around the Network

Uh, like yes, this will be the last traditional console generation, but no to literally everything else. MS, Sony, and Ninty will still have their own separate gaming services. None of this unified garbage - not amongst all three, anyway. XBL will be like Steam and the Next box will be like its SteamMachine done right, Sony will be PS Now, and Nintendo will be the NX unified platform, all of which will be the end of console generations since each will be a different, future-proof solution to convenient gaming.

What I don't get is if he truly believes PS4 and XBO will sell that much, then why wouldn't Sony and Microsoft try for another gen? I doesn't make any sense that they'd drop out of the console race if they are able to sell that many consoles.

People are seriously brain dead if they think "last console generation" actually means "Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo will stop providing gaming services."

I mean, really. It just means it will be the last time convenience gaming platforms will be limited by bottlenecked tech. PCs aren't generational. They are ongoing. Is PC dead? No. That's all it means. What used to be "console gaming" will transcend generations, starting with the next platforms that each introduce. That's all.

PS Now can't be generational because it will be a streaming service that upgrades behind the scenes. Only devs will have to worry about the boosts in power, and it will likely happen much more frequently, like with PCs.

XBL will become MCs answer to steam, and the NexBox will basically be excellently optimized PCs. They will be what Valve should have done with their steam machines. It will be pushed by Microsoft, and there will likely be models more frequently released. Likely yearly, just like other consumer electronics now.

And the NX will be that unified digital platform between the console and handheld. It will have full digital legacy support and will likely be updated frequently as well.

No more generations. We don't need them anymore. Technology has made them obsolete.

I wish everyone would spontaneously ignore this guy and make him go away.

Around the Network

I think he's mad cute.

In that "I don't have a single clue what I'm talking about" sort of way.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

-20 million for PS4
-45 million for Xb one
-3 million for Wii U

Unified platform? Yeah, I don't think so. If MS doesn't have its own exclusive platform it won't retain any 1st party studios. Nintendo could go that way, but they are already quite far down the 9th gen path so they will have their own 9th gen no matter what. Sony could welcome in 3rd party hardware if it decided the only real profit is in games and provided all hardware met a minimum standard they could position their hardware at a premium level with more features than base units and thus sell smaller volumes of hardware but at a reasonable profit per unit.

The streaming model isn't ready to take over yet because globally internet speeds and reliability can't yet make Streaming viable in all markets. It's coming though.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I like how he'll be proven wrong for the "last gen" part next year.

I also like how he over-predicted figures for all three consoles.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

He has been predicting the end of consoles for like 5 years now, if he keeps at it for another 30-40 years maybe hell get it right someday lol. And the next Nintendo console will be anounced next year probably released next year as well or early 2017 so he is already wrong about this being the last console gen.

Lol xbox selling 100 million. It will sell 65 million and ps4 will sell 90-100 million.