By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - which console did N64 users move onto?

console after N64

Gamecube 146 42.94%

Xbox 20 5.88%

ps2 141 41.47%

pc 10 2.94%

non above 23 6.76%

Total:340
Jumpin said:
Looks like nearly everyone 13 and above went to PS2 while all the kiddies got a PS2 Jr (GameCube).

Its funny that though because the N64 was known as the shooter console so obviously it had plenty of mature games. Game cube also was had more power so had better looking games. I was about 14 though when game cube launched and didn't appreciate Windwakers graphics or lack of Grand theft auto.

Around the Network

I had an N64 and a PSX back in the days, I then got a Dreamcast... then a gamecube and xbox (not sure which one first)  Then ps3/4 ... I have always been playing on PC as well...

I got a Xbox, got a PS2 near the end of the generation and Gamecube later.

My personal experience with N64 was when I was in college. It was very popular in my dorm and with my friends. It was a party console. Almost everyone who had one moved on to Xbox. Goldeneye and MK64 gave way to Halo, Nightfire, and Medal of Honor. I didn't know anyone who would admit to owning a Gamecube.

I skipped a generation - next console was an Xbox 360.

Ultimately I wound up owning a PS3, Wii and PS2. Now have a PS4 and X1.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

As a former N64 fanboy, here is my history.

NES to genesis (got snes much later on for classics)
Genesis to N64 (got PS1 end of gen for the JRPGs and MGS)
N64 to PS2/gaming laptop (had a GC as well but it got little attention)
PS2 to PS3 (got a 360 for the exclusives end gen, briefly had a Wii and gave it away)
PS3 to PS4 (I have every current gen console and handheld, but PS4 give me more reason to play it than the others)

So for me it was Playstation, but my loyalties never kept me from enjoying the best of all worlds.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I went to PS2. However, in all honesty, I think I would've enjoyed the Xbox more. Halo, Doom 3, Half life 2, online interest me more than Japanese games.

N64 was a secondary console to our PS1 d: after that we got the PS2; GameCube came later and Xbox after that. Then, we went to the 360 until a few warranty repairs later saw us trading in for a PS3. About two years before the gen was over I bought a second hand Wii to mod but I currently just have a ps3. PS4 will be the way to go, I'm just waiting on the right price, right bundle, right game or right time

When you look at the numbers, it's obvious a huge chunk of them bought something other than a Gamecube.

I went to PS2 and then 360+PS3 and then Wii U+ (soon) PS4

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!