By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - which console did N64 users move onto?

console after N64

Gamecube 146 42.94%

Xbox 20 5.88%

ps2 141 41.47%

pc 10 2.94%

non above 23 6.76%

Total:340

So like the title says, I was wondering which consoles N64 owners moved onto at the end off Gen 5. For me I initially moved to ps2 for GTA 3 and Max Payne I think, before settling on the original Xbox because it seemed more multiplayer shooter focused (Halo) like N64 was ( golden eye,perfect dark, turok etc).

I completely skipped and ignored GameCube simply because off Windwakers art style and the look of the console ( I know I know but I was 15). Next console was 360, imagine my excitement for a new Perfect dark and kameo rare back on form or so I thought, turns out I thought both were a little dissapointing.

Now I'm a ps4 and wii u gamer.

Anyway I was intrigued where you guys went after n64 and ended up

EDIT actually I got a dream cast after n64 forgot about that but think I sold it and went back to 64

Around the Network

XBox seems to be where a chunk of them went, at least the FPS shooter crowd that really liked the system.

Though to be honest most N64 owners I knew growing up also eventually caved and bought a Playstation, but the N64 was kept around for Mario 64/Zelda 64 and of course GoldenEye all-nighters.

I'm intrigued to see where the non above went maybe PlayStation or dreamcast? I forgot to add the DC to poll

Soundwave said:
XBox seems to be where a chunk of them went, at least the FPS shooter crowd that really liked the system.

Though to be honest most N64 owners I knew growing up also eventually caved and bought a Playstation, but the N64 was kept around for Mario 64/Zelda 64 and of course GoldenEye all-nighters.

Yeah true, I swapped between PlayStation and n64 alot, but always preferred N64 over PlayStation. Especially for multi player.

I went to GC but soon after I ended up on ps2. Never touched a xbox or dreamcast that gen. That is why I dont have any feelings for sega leaving the console space.

Around the Network

I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of then either never played games again. It was a party game console. "The fun machine". And, aside from a rare occasion with Gears of War and Dance Central, the last time anybody ever wanted to hang out with me and just play games.

Those i remember just kinda..... grew up.  It's depressing, actually. I just made myself sad.

I actually jumped from the N64 to the Gamecube when it launched. I was a kid who wasn't ready to give up on Nintendo's franchises at that time. I would actually stick with the GC all the way until the Wii launched and stick with the Wii for a while.
But it was the event known as Nintendo's E3 2008 showing that actually made me consider Playstation heavily for the first time. I ended up getting a PS3 a while after that.

Many of the N64 users went to GC, many to PS2, some to Xbox, some to PC, some to handhelds and some gave up gaming (other hobbies/interests, family, time-consuming job...)

And many N64 users were already multiplatform users in the first place (N64 + PS1, N64 + PC, N64 + SEGA...)

d21lewis said:

I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of then either never played games again. It was a party game console. "The fun machine". And, aside from a rare occasion with Gears of War and Dance Central, the last time anybody ever wanted to hang out with me and just play games.

Those i remember just kinda..... grew up.  It's depressing, actually. I just made myself sad.

I hope that was a sarcastic post! N64 was a great console to just play with friends on a wet n windy day though

It feels odd seeing people say that they moved specifically from one system in a generation, specifically to another system in the next generation, specifically to another single console in the following generation.

I grew up this way:
NES + SNES -> N64 + PS1 -> Gamecube + Xbox + PS2 -> PS3 + 360 + (for a short time) Wii -> PS4 (relatively recent purchase) + PC

For handhelds, it was more like:
GBA -> DS + PSP -> 3DS + Vita

I've sampled the best of all worlds as much as I've desired to in each generation, and I've had a wide scope of experiences thanks to it. I can't imagine chaining myself to a single console because of brand loyalty or otherwise. I've always just gone to where the games are that I thought sounded interesting, and I've found myself to be surprisingly resourceful in the past to play what I wanted despite growing up poor.

Sure, if you have the main consoles in each generation, it's hard to collect a huge collection of games for each unless you live a relatively financially stable life, but you don't need a huge collection. You just need a collection of the fun games that you want to play.