By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Wii U Launched with 2015's Software?

SMM, Splatoon and XCX in 2012 would have...

Lauched Wii U with a bang! Industry Leader!! 20 18.35%

Helped a lot. No doom. 48 44.04%

Done nothing. 37 33.94%

Made things worse. 4 3.67%

Total:109
AEGRO said:
It would have been the same.

Its not about the games, its Nintendo.

People dont want to buy Nintendo consoles.

Wii and 3ds begs to differ.

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

I said nothing of the sort. Read and comprehend before you make comments.

"Kart and Smash were both on Wii.  They don't do it.  They are derivative, which Wii U could not afford to be." 

You said Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. (both released in 2014) would come on Wii instead of Wii U.
This made me thought that Wii U would release in 2015. 

I say Kart was on Wii and you somehow interpret that to mean "Mario Kart 8 would be moved to Wii and the Wii U would be delayed to 2015"?  That's bizzare.  It just shows you have some preconceived notions coming into this thread.

My statement was exactly what was said.  Kart (MK Wii) and Smash (Brawl) were both on Wii.  As such, the Wii U games are not new experiences and would not have been good Wii U launch games.  Neither one demonstrates the value of Wii U.  Splatoon and and SMM, however, offer experiences that are completely fresh and show a customer why a Wii U is interesting.  They also do it without forcing the Gamepad to be used in an unnatural way.

I don't think it would have made much difference, especially if they were followed up with the long droughts.

I agree with what he's saying, the gamepad only looks bad because Ninty couldn't explain it better. Nintendoland did a very poor job while Splatoon and SMM do a much better job. Alongside Nintyland it may have been a more attractive "gimmick". Ofcourse the drought after sucked but thats why Ninty needs a fusion. They have the talent to make anything look good.

It would definitely have helped. Splatoon has proven to be a big hit and Super Mario Maker shows every sign of being one. The Wii U had a good launch line-up and decent launch sales, but no killer app.

But the reason sales stagnated is not because of the launch games, it was a combination of horrible marketing, being overpriced for its graphics capabilities, and one of the worst post-launch droughts in gaming history. Splatoon and Mario Maker might have had an even bigger impact if they were launched Q1 or Q2 2013 when there was nothing coming out but Lego City and a Monster Hunter port.

The marketing and price would still have been problems, but those games released at that time would have given gamers something to get excited about in the year before the PS4/XB1 launched.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Dr.Vita said:

"Kart and Smash were both on Wii.  They don't do it.  They are derivative, which Wii U could not afford to be." 

You said Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. (both released in 2014) would come on Wii instead of Wii U.
This made me thought that Wii U would release in 2015. 

I say Kart was on Wii and you somehow interpret that to mean "Mario Kart 8 would be moved to Wii and the Wii U would be delayed to 2015"?  That's bizzare.  It just shows you have some preconceived notions coming into this thread.

My statement was exactly what was said.  Kart (MK Wii) and Smash (Brawl) were both on Wii.  As such, the Wii U games are not new experiences and would not have been good Wii U launch games.  Neither one demonstrates the value of Wii U.  Splatoon and and SMM, however, offer experiences that are completely fresh and show a customer why a Wii U is interesting.  They also do it without forcing the Gamepad to be used in an unnatural way.

You only said Mario Kart and Smash, you never said Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I thought you mean Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Wii U would be on Wii and both released in 2014. This made me also thought that Wii U will have a 2015 release. If you don't want this confusion to happen, then express it better. 

To be honest i think Nintendo could have moved 20M consoles LT if they did a better job in many points, launch line-up is one of them.

But it wouldn't make it turn into a success.

AEGRO said:

Lol. Say that to DS, Wii and 3DS.

One bad commercial product (console in this case) does not mean people dont want Nintendo console, they just dont want that product.

Well it certainly would help a little, maybe to be on pair with GC, but Wii U had more serious problems too like very bad marketing (with terrible name), not affordable price, software droughts...not just a bad launch lineup.

Miyamotoo said:
AEGRO said:

Lol. Say that to DS, Wii and 3DS.

One bad commercial product (console in this case) does not mean people dont want Nintendo console, they just dont want that product.

Im talking about HOME Consoles, not Handhelds. Even tho some people like to call them consoles too, to try to mend other consoles failures.

The Wii was a fad, its a known fact and im not going to beat that dead horse.

You also are aware that Nintendo HOME consoles have been selling less and less from one gen to another, im not going to post the numbers again because ive done it like 5 times already.