By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kentucky Clerk Denies Marriage Licenses | Update: Clerk Freed w/Warning!

Should Someone's Religious Beliefs Circumvent Another's Legal Rights

Yes 47 14.33%

No 251 76.52%

See Results 30 9.15%

Total:328
swbf2lord said:
It's a tragedy, that yet another believer is persecuted; such is life in this time. Ms. Davis, you have my prayers.

She wasn't persecuted for her beliefs. She defied court orders.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
swbf2lord said:
It's a tragedy, that yet another believer is persecuted; such is life in this time. Ms. Davis, you have my prayers.

I'd have done the same thing. I'm not going against God to please a court. She made the right call, here. 

swbf2lord said:
KLAMarine said:

I'd have done the same thing. I'm not going against God to please a court. She made the right call, here. 

And I agree! You can both please god in jail.

KLAMarine said:

#Rekt

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
KLAMarine said:

#Rekt

Just telling it like it is.

Around the Network
padib said:

And I don't care about US Law, nor do I really care about your opinion, honestly.

If that's how you feel, what is the point of even posting here? Your opinions are the best, according to you? Awesome. Keep them to yourself if you don't care about what the other person has to say. That kind of attitude has zero place in any discussion.

swbf2lord said:
KLAMarine said:
swbf2lord said:

If that's how you feel then perhaps you shouldn't choose a profession that requires you to do tasks that violates the rules of your god. Doing so is just plain silly.

forest-spirit said:
swbf2lord said:

If that's how you feel then perhaps you shouldn't choose a profession that requires you to do tasks that violates the rules of your god. Doing so is just plain silly.

No way. That would take conviction.  Her tax payer funded job is way to sweet to give up. But as the court illustrated,  you can't have both.  Especially when the construct of one's job is bound by the rule of law. 

Her defense is completely invalid in fact. She is collecting tax payer money as an elected official in a system where the separation of church and state is clearly defined.  

But she already knows that.  She knows that she cannot use her position to endorse a religious belief and enforce it on the public.

These tenants of government weren't created yesterday and the don't disappear now that gays make her uncomfortable.  Her freedom of religion as expressed through apparent bigotry doesn't entitle her to ignore the law and block legal marriages. 

Her defense of discrimination is completely invalid. Not being able to discriminate doesn't make her a victim. 

reggin_bolas said:

Nonsense. Forcing religion would be equivalent to forcing these homosexuals to marry women. 

Well, if they were county clerks, of course they must marry female couples aswell.

swbf2lord said:

I assume she refused to marry previously divorced people aswell, or people who had eaten shrimp at some point in their life, or whou worked sundays? Because al those are frowned upon in the bible aswell.