By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kentucky Clerk Denies Marriage Licenses | Update: Clerk Freed w/Warning!

Should Someone's Religious Beliefs Circumvent Another's Legal Rights

Yes 47 14.33%

No 251 76.52%

See Results 30 9.15%

Total:328
padib said:
generic-user-1 said:

she isnt doing her job, thats why she went to jail, not because she hates gays. she can be vocaly against gay marriage and protest her own working place in all of her free time, thats her right. but she doesnt have the right to say no to the core duty she has sworne to fullfill while staying in the position that has this duty. 

a cop cant let potheads goes just because he doesnt believe in the war on drugs. she trys to do something like that, and thats just wrong and she should be fired for this

Okay, fired, fine. Jailed?

if you act against the order of a court you can get to jail.  its not realy sentenced to jail, its just jailed till she is willing to do what was ordered to or resign

Around the Network
padib said:
JWeinCom said:

I have read some Rousseau, stop throwing your fucking textbooks at me.

I was talking about social contract theory.  Rousseau wrote about it, so I mentioned someone you could read to learn more.  Don't know why you're butthurt about that.

I don't agree in your socially-centric view on life. I don't, absolutely don't do things just because we progress as a society.

I do things because I think, personally, that they are right.

And yes this all ties back to the topic. I live upon my own personal convictions about what is right and what is wrong, not about what is better or worse for society, that is bs. We don't work that way. Everyone is a pebble of sand on a beach, we each play our parts and ultimately it leads to the way society works but in our interactions, we behave based on personal convictions. IMHO

And if we all act simply according to our own desires, that defies the whole point of any legal system, and reduces us to anarchy.  If you think it's ok to rape people, then it is good to have a system in place that prevents you from doing that, and punishes you if you do.  If I think it's ok to steal babies and eat them, it's also good to have a system in place to stop that.  

If you think that we should not have any mechanisms in place to protect human rights, then I sincerely hope you never have to live in the world you want.

I don't know, you're telling me to read this, read that. Would you like it if I told you read some rousseau, some descrartes, some socrates, without knowing if you read them or not?

Do you really think it's normal that someone thinks it ok to rape people?

I think that too much of your logic stems from assuming some messed-up urban society with all kinds of weird tendencies. It makes more sense to judge conscience in the setting of a healthy, let's say, nomadic tribe or something that vies to survive and do things right.

I'm telling you to read this read that?  I told you to read one thing that is relevant to the topic at hand.  If you told me to read something I've read, I'd probably say "I've already read that" without getting pissy.

Judging by the amount of rape that happens in the world, I'd say enough people think it is ok that it is in our best interest to make laws regarding it.  I can't say whether or not they think its ok, because I am not inside their heads.  Our modern society is the result of a system of government and law that has been built for about 5000 years give or take 5000 years or so.  If we didn't have any laws, I'm not sure what the society would look like, but we have enough failed states to figure it would probably not be good.

Are you suggesting that there should be no system in place to safeguard anyone's rights or wellbeing?  Because once you argue that each government agent has the right to do whatever they please, then you are arguing for anarchy.  You're arguing that nobody has any sort of fundamental rights.  And that is view that seems incredibly dangerous.

They should put her back in jail for abusing eye of the tiger

padib said:

@Ka-pi. Oh shit that was too funny man. Still laughing

JWeinCom said:

I'm telling you to read this read that?  I told you to read one thing that is relevant to the topic at hand.  If you told me to read something I've read, I'd probably say "I've already read that" without getting pissy.

Judging by the amount of rape that happens in the world, I'd say enough people think it is ok that it is in our best interest to make laws regarding it.  I can't say whether or not they think its ok, because I am not inside their heads.  Our modern society is the result of a system of government and law that has been built for about 5000 years give or take 5000 years or so.  If we didn't have any laws, I'm not sure what the society would look like, but we have enough failed states to figure it would probably not be good.

Are you suggesting that there should be no system in place to safeguard anyone's rights or wellbeing?  Because once you argue that each government agent has the right to do whatever they please, then you are arguing for anarchy.  You're arguing that nobody has any sort of fundamental rights.  And that is view that seems incredibly dangerous.

Okay, I'll review my attitude and behave in a way that is more kind, for you and me. As a micro-society we will be more in harmony. But especially it would make the most sense that I not get pissy and I think you're right and it's right for me not to. XD So I'll try not to do it anymore.

It's a view that you really won't like if I understand your PoV. I don't really like the governments that rule us today. Sure there is security but there seems to be really less morality. Sex is increasing in media, violence all over the place in media. I mean really the only thing stopping some people is law nowadays. But it really shouldn't be that way!

That's my point. I shouldn't be behaving in a way because if I don't I will get punished. That's not authentic at all.

And I'm all about authenticity :0) I'm all about KEEPING it real! haha

You're talking about the media, not the government.

Do you think that there are certain rights that everyone should have?  If so, should we build institutions to protect them?

padib said:

@Ka-pi. Oh shit that was too funny man. Still laughing

JWeinCom said:

Okay, I'll review my attitude and behave in a way that is more kind, for you and me. As a micro-society we will be more in harmony. But especially it would make the most sense that I not get pissy and I think you're right and it's right for me not to. XD So I'll try not to do it anymore.

It's a view that you really won't like if I understand your PoV. I don't really like the governments that rule us today. Sure there is security but there seems to be really less morality. Sex is increasing in media, violence all over the place in media. I mean really the only thing stopping some people is law nowadays. But it really shouldn't be that way!

That's my point. I shouldn't be behaving in a way because if I don't I will get punished. That's not authentic at all.

And I'm all about authenticity :0) I'm all about KEEPING it real! haha

Well that's like saying just because my religious freedom is by my rights and ideas is the only one that is correct for everyone else's

Example can a gay person be they women or man be a Christian? Or Muslim or Jewish?

Do all Christian's sin? Well than are you as a Christian try to overcome those Sin's? But here is the rub, what make's a rights of man be a right of Man?

Did god give man the power to name things? To be over all creature's on earth? But yet man has persecution on his fellow man, right so does that make it right to persecution on a fellow man on his or her right to freedom and happyness? It works both ways, remember the crusades? When religious freedom was not religious freedom , unless its our religious freedom that lords over you!

This is about control over another' man or womens destiny' who has that right Man or god?

Does only God have that right or is it Man's right to decide his own destiny's right or wrong?

The law and judicial system was set by man to protect your fellow man, but also to establish rules of order and as a guidelines for each fellow man to follow in hopes to bring peace and prosperity to each other.

If man does not follow the rules of judiciary law who is @/fault? Society's? Or is the very person not following the rules?

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.