By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kentucky Clerk Denies Marriage Licenses | Update: Clerk Freed w/Warning!

Should Someone's Religious Beliefs Circumvent Another's Legal Rights

Yes 47 14.33%

No 251 76.52%

See Results 30 9.15%

Total:328
padib said:
niallyb said:

How the fuck is that relevant?   Why would you ever compare an innate charactaristic with stealing? I'm going to go easy on you by assuming you don't know any gay people very well. Even if you atomize it down to its smallest component - getting married is not a crime, stealing is.   Remember they are getting married - just the SAME as straight people do.  Their ability to obtain a marriage certificate shouldn't be contingent on her personal prejudice.

It's a crime because you define it as a crime. I'll go easy on you because I'll assume you don't know cleptomaniacs very well.

Actually no. Its a crime because its clearly stated in all US legal text.  You should really think more.

niallyb

Around the Network
padib said:
generic-user-1 said:
padib said:
Too many replies guys, I can't keep up.

My basic opinion on this is that the liberties of one are the loss of rights of another. I think this is pretty basic.

She is one of a good portion of americans who believe that homosexuality is a sin, because many americans, especially in the belt, believe in what the bible teaches.

Her belief that it is wrong and should not be promoted is something she wants to see in her society. Unfortunately for her, the rights of homosexuals rule out her right to live in a society that considers homosexuality wrong.

The best way to put it is that the rights of one are the losses of rights of another. Plain and simple.

she can protest gay people all day long, while shes not at WORK.

What if she WORKs as a public servant!? Then she can't work as a public servant given her beliefs because someone (or 4 people) decided to pass a bill.

1. i think its normal that you dont let your personal beliefes influence your work if you are a public servant.

2. she doesnt have the right to have the jobs changed just because she doesnt like parts of the job. if she doesnt like her job or parts of her job, she can go and look for a new job, she isnt forced to be a public servant if she doesnt like it.

padib said:
JWeinCom said:

It absolutely does not.  The reasoning behind the right to property is fairly well explained by many moral philosophers, most notably in the western world John Locke.

I don't know if you actually want to go through the pointlessly assinine exercise of debating whether or not stealing is wrong, but it is objectively healthier for a society to protect property rights.  We can come to this conclusion through basic human empathy (I don't like my things being taken from me, you are a human being like me, therefore I should not take your things), and we can easily see how stealing removes incentives for hard work, and leads to violence, etc.  It is pretty easy to see, even in a simple microcosm like a Kindergarten classroom, how stealing leads to conflict and disruption.  We have good reason to believe the consequences of stealing are detrimental to society.

I'm really hoping you're not going to actually argue that we should allow stealing...

Human empathy is important, but why is it important?

What is wrong with Chaos, from a really practical point of view? Ultimately what does it matter? One person gains this another gains that we all die in the end.

If you look at it from a moral point of view though, it starts to make much sense.  How will a person feel if I do X, how does my conscience react if I do X?

That is much more important than detrimental or not detrimental, which is all relative to each person's opinion.

Because it enables us to cooperate, which allows us to help eachother, live a higher quality of life, live longer, reproduce, etc.  

What is wrong with Chaos, from a really practical point of view? Ultimately what does it matter? One person gains this another gains that we all die in the end.

It does not enable us to build societies, and enjoy the benefits mentioned above.  

If you look at it from a moral point of view though, it starts to make much sense.  How will a person feel if I do X, how does my conscience react if I do X?

No.  Because if we allow each person to act according to their conscience, that is what is known as anarchy.  We establish laws to help us maintain a society which works, ideally, to the mutual benefit of all of us.  Social contract theory.  Reed some Rousseau.

So, we have long worked on figuring out what helps us live together as a society to ensure happiness to all.  And we're far from perfect, but we're making progress.  One of the keys to that progress has been ensuring people basic rights.

Of course, you could argue for living in a social darwinist nightmare, but I'd argue that is a very bad idea.

That is much more important than detrimental or not detrimental, which is all relative to each person's opinion.

That's totally backwards.  Conscience is relative to the individual.

Do you have a point in this that is about gay marriage?

padib said:
JWeinCom said:

It absolutely does not.  The reasoning behind the right to property is fairly well explained by many moral philosophers, most notably in the western world John Locke.

I don't know if you actually want to go through the pointlessly assinine exercise of debating whether or not stealing is wrong, but it is objectively healthier for a society to protect property rights.  We can come to this conclusion through basic human empathy (I don't like my things being taken from me, you are a human being like me, therefore I should not take your things), and we can easily see how stealing removes incentives for hard work, and leads to violence, etc.  It is pretty easy to see, even in a simple microcosm like a Kindergarten classroom, how stealing leads to conflict and disruption.  We have good reason to believe the consequences of stealing are detrimental to society.

I'm really hoping you're not going to actually argue that we should allow stealing...

You keep forgetting that SHE is not the office of the county clerk.  Its the duty of the office to issue the marriage certificates. Her prejudice actually impeded the functioning of local government and she intimidated the deputy clerks over the issue too.  Five of the six clerks were only too happy to start issuing the certs.  The sixth deputy clerk - is her son !

There is nothing surprising in any of the court rulings with respect to this.  Its entirely consistent with the last 50 years of case law on civil rights vs "religious" interference.  All your arguments were used in the 60's over interracial marriage.  Your arguments failed then. They are clearly failing now.

niallyb

generic-user-1 said:
padib said:
generic-user-1 said:
padib said:
Too many replies guys, I can't keep up.

My basic opinion on this is that the liberties of one are the loss of rights of another. I think this is pretty basic.

She is one of a good portion of americans who believe that homosexuality is a sin, because many americans, especially in the belt, believe in what the bible teaches.

Her belief that it is wrong and should not be promoted is something she wants to see in her society. Unfortunately for her, the rights of homosexuals rule out her right to live in a society that considers homosexuality wrong.

The best way to put it is that the rights of one are the losses of rights of another. Plain and simple.

she can protest gay people all day long, while shes not at WORK.

What if she WORKs as a public servant!? Then she can't work as a public servant given her beliefs because someone (or 4 people) decided to pass a bill.

1. i think its normal that you dont let your personal beliefes influence your work if you are a public servant.

2. she doesnt have the right to have the jobs changed just because she doesnt like parts of the job. if she doesnt like her job or parts of her job, she can go and look for a new job, she isnt forced to be a public servant if she doesnt like it.

I have to get me one of these jobs where I get to do whatever I feel like.  Sounds pretty awesome.

Around the Network
padib said:
Ka-pi96 said:

There's no such thing as 'fundamentally right or wrong'.

The law should take precedence since it is what the majority of people consider to be right or wrong, or at least it should be that point can be debated but in essence the law is what should be followed. It's fine to disagree with it, it's fine to try and change it if it seems like it should be different, but until it actually is changed that's what people should go along with.

In that situation, if all of the circumstances were the same ie. they had actually been jailed not for giving out that marriage certificate illegally but for then refusing to revoke it then no I wouldn't be protesting that. I mean you could possibly argue the case of giving out the marriage certificate in the first place but if they are then overruled by the supreme court and still refuse to change... then yeah they deserve to be jailed.

Why do you put so much faith in the law?

Don't you agree that people of the same-sex should be allowed to marry? I gave you a perfect hypothetical where the law would refuse you the right to make that a reality yet you go with it.

It seems like you really enjoy getting things decided for you honestly.

The law is made by people, and is not necessarily good. I understand that in some cases there's little we can do about it, but protest is a normal thing. Sure she can be jailed but the question is not "did she or did she not get jailed". The question is "was it okay".

She was protesting about something and used her position of authority. In light of how the new law intends to offer people rights, isn't jailing her counter-ideological???

I'm becoming increasingly tired of seeing you post here 24/7 and then pretend to be too busy to form rebuttals to my emails. 

padib said:
niallyb said:

That last statement was risable. It says more about you than anything else and none of it is good.   Progressivism isn't what Faux news tells you it is.

You do realize that that the exact situation you are describing has been happening up and down the country for the last 40 years right?   Where do you think the lawsuits came from? 

Also  Convictions <> rights .  Thats a false equivalence.

That is so besides the point I was trying to make. Can you at least try to understand my example?

If not get some more candles in your avatar and meditate a little.

Conviction == rights, as my example aptly shows. In a case where the conviction which fits the progressivist ideology is being stiffled, people cry murder. In a case where the conviction does not, people go "meh, jail the cunt".

You foolish bigot.  You do realize that it was a republican judge that ordered her to jail right? Your example is a miserable failure. It would appear I understand it a great deal more than you since given you didn't even see that there was a precedent for it.

As for "progressivist ideology"   - you sound like a tea party nutter who gets his news from Fox.  The reality is this    - gay people are entitled to equal treatment under the law.   There were plenty of accomodations made for Kim Davis on the issue but she refused them all and prevented her deputies from issuing the licenses.  If you're going to make her your poster girl martyr - you're screwed given her own 4 marriages and plenty else.

User Moderated for this post -StarOcean

niallyb

Its very Simple: she is a "civil servant"/she is there to provide civic duty for the public, not for just her self!

Has people that are in civic service jobs forget that?
Its one thing is if the two people were of under age, or not of the same species..lol chuckle..alien lands in crop field on earth wears go earth T-shirt wants to settle down on earth raise a family with Some squid babies..should she than be able to refuse such a civil union?/or would hell hast no fury like a women scorned...apply to a alien females from another planet getting refused marriages and than that's a reason for installer war...thanks clerk of courts for everything..Lmao

The point is the law was made and be it from God above or the local .state or the Federal court..she has the right to disagree all she wants, but she was elected to uphold the higher courts of her offices and rules and regulations.

That does not mean she can " refuse" at her measure who and what people or race or creed or color she decided she wants to say no too she is a.

" Civil " who does she work for? The Public! As a civil servant's job. The law is clear and laid out for her. The people that come into her office that has and can be of legal rights to get married can and will have the right to acquire such a licence.

She as a public servant does not have the right to refuse such service based on her own idea, not because she wants to she is a " civil servant clerk"

Her office is said to when taking a oath is to uphold which law...if you cannot do so than by all means step down and remove your self from the situation but you than cannot expect to have a job the next day because of your refusal to uphold the bylaws of the court.

Here is another thing, is there a freaking sign that says " no god no shoes no service" Packard on the freaking wall?..lol

No there is not? Want to know why?/because this country is a republic and democracy not a freaking Theocracy! That's why its not there. Under god does.not mean you..as a person that get to impose Gods will, because that would be quite arrogant of you, God is the only one who can impose his will?

..but..but god works through Me..really..he does? How about since we are all humans would that also mean God works through us all? And not just you?

Its the "intent" of the Law she is trying to circumvent and that just shows that she is not there to uphold the law she was appointed to uphold, she is using an excuse not to uphold the laws she was appointed a position she was appointed to by?

The Public!

And since the law for the public was already known for her appointed desk on what the court has decided, and since she is a volunteer "civil servant" she knows exactly what she would be getting into if the higher ups say a gay couples are in full right to marriage that is the civic duty as her appointed position must uphold. No if and or buts about it. She works for the courts, what she does in her own time is all her own, while she is on the clock she is under the publics time.

She put herself into position as a "public servant" she wanted the job? Hey everyone can complain they do not like a policy @ work..she was denied multiple times about the ability to change that policy.

They already decided after multiple times she stated ..its like in a few good men, judge I strongly disagree..denied..lol

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

padib said:
JWeinCom said:

Because it enables us to cooperate, which allows us to help eachother, live a higher quality of life, live longer, reproduce, etc.  

It does not enable us to build societies, and enjoy the benefits mentioned above.  

No.  Because if we allow each person to act according to their conscience, that is what is known as anarchy.  We establish laws to help us maintain a society which works, ideally, to the mutual benefit of all of us.  Social contract theory.  Reed some Rousseau.

So, we have long worked on figuring out what helps us live together as a society to ensure happiness to all.  And we're far from perfect, but we're making progress.  One of the keys to that progress has been ensuring people basic rights.

Of course, you could argue for living in a social darwinist nightmare, but I'd argue that is a very bad idea.

That's totally backwards.  Conscience is relative to the individual.

Do you have a point in this that is about gay marriage?

And yes this all ties back to the topic. I live upon my own personal convictions about what is right and what is wrong, not about what is better or worse for society, that is bs. We don't work that way. Everyone is a pebble of sand on a beach, we each play our parts and ultimately it leads to the way society works but in our interactions, we behave based on personal convictions. IMHO

I have read some Rousseau, stop throwing your fucking textbooks at me.

I was talking about social contract theory.  Rousseau wrote about it, so I mentioned someone you could read to learn more.  Don't know why you're butthurt about that.

I don't agree in your socially-centric view on life. I don't, absolutely don't do things just because we progress as a society.

I do things because I think, personally, that they are right.

And yes this all ties back to the topic. I live upon my own personal convictions about what is right and what is wrong, not about what is better or worse for society, that is bs. We don't work that way. Everyone is a pebble of sand on a beach, we each play our parts and ultimately it leads to the way society works but in our interactions, we behave based on personal convictions. IMHO

And if we all act simply according to our own desires, that defies the whole point of any legal system, and reduces us to anarchy.  If you think it's ok to rape people, then it is good to have a system in place that prevents you from doing that, and punishes you if you do.  If I think it's ok to steal babies and eat them, it's also good to have a system in place to stop that.  

If you think that we should not have any mechanisms in place to protect human rights, then I sincerely hope you never have to live in the world you want.

padib said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I did quite clearly say trying to get laws changed is fine. If you don't agree with it then by all means try and change that law. If enough other people agree it may even happen. You shouldn't take the law in to your own hands and do whatever you want though. If you don't like laws then try and change them through the proper channels, but don't abuse any positions of power you may have and deliberately break the law just because you don't agree with it.

Okay, that is fair.

But the more important question:
She was protesting about something and used her position of authority. In light of how the new law intends to offer people rights, isn't jailing her counter-ideological???

she isnt doing her job, thats why she went to jail, not because she hates gays. she can be vocaly against gay marriage and protest her own working place in all of her free time, thats her right. but she doesnt have the right to say no to the core duty she has sworne to fullfill while staying in the position that has this duty. 

a cop cant let potheads goes just because he doesnt believe in the war on drugs. she trys to do something like that, and thats just wrong and she should be fired for this