By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Getting the most out of your Xbox One

Tagged games:

So, the Xbox One has this HDTV Calibration guide in the options menu.  Didn't know it existed until last night.  I used it to set up my console and goddam.  I think I had a really good eye for these things but after using their setup guide, I was blown away by how good my games look.  Over a year and I was missing out.  That got me thinking--what else am I missing?  What can people share with me to help me enjoy the console more and what else can I share with others?  

Let's put together the ultimate Xbox One User's guide!  Fill it with tips and little "life hacks" to make our experience the best it can be.

Around the Network

A few things I can think of:

Use the TV calibration guide.  You'd be surprised how many awesome features our HDTVs have that actually make the image appear worse!  I had to turn off a few settings, adjust brightness, contrast, color temperature settings, etc.  When I was done, I was blown away.

Invest in a Micro USB cable.  They're only a couple of dollars on Amazon.com.  You probably already have one for your Android phone.  You may never need to change batteries again, if you don't mind playing wired.  Combine it with a set of good rechargable batteries and you'll always be in the game.

Get invited to the Preview Program!  Not only do you get to play certain betas first (ie: the Gears of War UE beta), you also get access to certain features first.  My current fave is "Miracast".  It takes about two seconds to set up.  Basically, it turns your HDTV into a giant cell phone screen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRitDlhfxMk

Cut down on Game Install Time:  Disconnect your console from the internet.  When you first get a game, it tries to install the Blu Ray disc into the HDD AND download any updates from the web.  Just turn off the internet.  Your game will install faster and then reconnect for the update.  You'll be in the game much, much faster.

Well, if you are going all digital (like me), then get a 1-2Tb external drive to save all your games. That way, if you go to a friend to play some Xbox, you just bring that baby and you have you whole game collection in you pocket.

Puppyroach said:
Well, if you are going all digital (like me), then get a 1-2Tb external drive to save all your games. That way, if you go to a friend to play some Xbox, you just bring that baby and you have you whole game collection in you pocket.

That's pretty awesome.  I got a 2TB HDD on Friday and, though it's not a big deal, the console now shows me the size of every game right beside its game title.  DIdn't do that before.  I like it!

Use the snap features and Download the Smartglass feature for some games and keep yourself connected.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Use the TV calibration guide.  You'd be surprised how many awesome features our HDTVs have that actually make the image appear worse!  I had to turn off a few settings, adjust brightness, contrast, color temperature settings, etc.  When I was done, I was blown away.

Invest in a Micro USB cable.  They're only a couple of dollars on Amazon.com.  You probably already have one for your Android phone.  You may never need to change batteries again, if you don't mind playing wired.  Combine it with a set of good rechargable batteries and you'll always be in the game.

Get invited to the Preview Program!  Not only do you get to play certain betas first (ie: the Gears of War UE beta), you also get access to certain features first.  My current fave is "Miracast".  It takes about two seconds to set up.  Basically, it turns your HDTV into a giant cell phone screen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRitDlhfxMk

Cut down on Game Install Time:  Disconnect your console from the internet.  When you first get a game, it tries to install the Blu Ray disc into the HDD AND download any updates from the web.  Just turn off the internet.  Your game will install faster and then reconnect for the update.  You'll be in the game much, much faster.

hey thanks for these tips it's really helpful. One thing i wanted to ask though is how do you get invited to the preview program? 

warhalohog said:
d21lewis said:

hey thanks for these tips it's really helpful. One thing i wanted to ask though is how do you get invited to the preview program? 

Somebody already in the program has to invite you (pester Pbroy--I'm at work)

I have a few more tricks, actually. I just wanted some input from other users.  I may post a little more when I get a day off.

tag

I will take a good look at this thread when my Xbox One returns from Germany. Gaming for 26 years and never had a console break on me before. Grrrrr.

d21lewis said:

Just keep in mind that while turning off all the features that make the image worse is always a good thing, the XB1 uses a different color space and gamma than standard HDTV tuners. That means that watching normal tv, ps4, wiiU etc not through the XB1 with the same settings will now look worse.
(It's only a problem when you use an amplifier for sound with everything connected to that and only 1 cable from amp to tv, otherwise the tv should allow different settings for each hdmi input)

Anyway congratulations for finding the tv setup har har :) A properly calibrated tv makes a hell of a lot more difference than 900p vs 1080p.
You can also create your own video calibration disc http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html