By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Wii U games be worth more than PS4 and XBOX ONE games in 20 years?

Hey guys, interesting thought passed through my mind as I was going through and filing games at my store. A lot of the Wii and GC games are worth a ton of money here whereas a lot of the PS2, PS3, Xbox, and X360 games are worth.. well, not really a whole lot. So I was wondering whether this trend of people shelling out damn near the release price (sometimes more) for Wii and GC games while other games are being bought and sold for much much less. Do you guys think this trend will continue? If so, why do you think people would be so much more willing to spend  big bucks for Wii U games but not PS4 and X1 games? 

Around the Network

Yes, because there are printed fewer copies of Wii U games than PS4/XBO games generally, with the exception of a few titles.

DKC TF, Pikmin 3 and probably Star Fox Zero are typical examples of games that will retain a lot of value due to how limited their print run will be/has been.

But I wouldn't expect Wii U games to retain the price as much as many Wii and GC titles have, simply because of digital distribution. You don't have to buy it physically to get the game anymore, but you did with Wii and GC games.

Yes, absolutely.

A few of them.... like Xenoblade Chronicle X  & DKC TF, probably will.
Others not so much.

Fewer copies and Nintendo never drop the god damn price xD

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

I am actually going to take an opposing view to the consensus.
I think towards the end of this generation, we will start to see a very rapid shift towards digital. If that happens to be the case, games made at the end of the generation will have more limited quantities of their physical copies. On the other hand, all major Wii U games will be available for retail.
And that definitely begs a more interesting question: what will become of digital media, especially older digital media 20 years from now? Will PSN and Xbox Live for the Xbox One still be supported?
Ultimately, I think it's a fair assessment that Wii U games will be less widely available, and thus be more expensive, assuming Wii U games will be equally as high in demand twenty years from now as XB1 or PS4 games, which we have no idea of knowing. But there's still a lot of things that could happen in twenty years that could completely change the value of physical media.

patronmacabre said:

I am actually going to take an opposing view to the consensus.
I think towards the end of this generation, we will start to see a very rapid shift towards digital. If that happens to be the case, games made at the end of the generation will have more limited quantities of their physical copies. On the other hand, all major Wii U games will be available for retail.
And that definitely begs a more interesting question: what will become of digital media, especially older digital media 20 years from now? Will PSN and Xbox Live for the Xbox One still be supported?
Ultimately, I think it's a fair assessment that Wii U games will be less widely available, and thus be more expensive, assuming Wii U games will be equally as high in demand twenty years from now as XB1 or PS4 games, which we have no idea of knowing. But there's still a lot of things that could happen in twenty years that could completely change the value of physical media.

that is an interesting take on the affect digital sales will have on the value of physical media. I dont think this digital takeover will be happening this generation though. i think the way physical and digital is being handled right now will be the way it is handled through the remainder of the generation. 

Yes.

devils third will be the most expensive wii u game in 20 years time just you watch lol.

It iwll be another snowboard kids two for pal gamers or starcraft

I think so. Mainly for games that are niche like Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2. Future games that I think will fall under this effect are Devil's Third, Star Fox and #FE.