By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nostalgic games that still gets you.

Nostalgia?

yassss I love them 42 87.50%

lol playing old games? no thanks. 3 6.25%

Glasses. 3 6.25%

Total:48

Pokémon Trading Card Game and Super Mario World! I still play those games when I'm in the crapper (Have my own GBA inside my bathroom to play SMA2 too)...

And also pretty much ANY Fire Emblem game... I own all of the ones released in NA and if I start playing any one of them my day will go by without me noticing.

Around the Network

MediEvil, Crash and Spyro games.

Crash bandicoot medievil worms spyro sonic mario donkey kong

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Bloodborne and Splatoon

Always playing retro games

Currently playing Sonic 3 - damn hard to get those emeralds, Goldeneye 007 Wii - the online still rocks, Mario Tennis N64 - still great local multiplayer.

Also currently playing Don't Starve - very addictive and DK Tropical Freeze......

Around the Network

I'm sure part of it is "Nostalgia" because I grew up with the NES, and the SNES in my teens, but in general, I've always preferred sprite based and 2D gaming, not just because I liked it as a kid, but because I still prefer it now. Sprites, especially for side scrollers, 2D fighters, old school Zelda style games, etc., always seem to work far better than polygons, far tighter, more precise controls/gameplay, etc. Plus it's just more aesthetically pleasing.

It also bears saying, though many have said this, that old sprite games, hell even old 80s games, often still hold up today. Whereas polygons age badly, espcecially that first Saturn/PSX/N64 gen. What we thought looked "good" back then, looks like blocky ass now, and even the following gen still often looks pretty rough, depending on the game/developer. But with older sprite games? Many old PC/Arcade/NES/SNES/TG16/Geneis/Etc. games still look really good, to this day.

Beyond all that though, yeah, I would say that out of my Top 10, or even probably Top 30 or more favorite games of all time, I'd be willing to wager that most of them are probably from that era, classic arcade, PC, NES, SNES, etc., or something like GBA, or modern indie games like Cave Story or Shovel Knight. What can I say? It's just my style. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of modern 3D games (and even PSX/N64 era ones), but I'll always prefer 2D over 3D.

Second post in this thread, but damn, I'm feeling nostalgic lately.

I've been playing Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD, both still hold up veeeeeeery well today. I wish they would let Genius Sonority make another Orre game, both were very underrated.

The Urbz: Sims in the City on DS is another game that I'm very nostalgic for. I don't think it sold very well, though it was a DS launch title. There's a lot to do and it was well put together, it makes me sad that the series ended there.

Streets of Rage still gets me. I loved replaying SoR2 on the Wii VC, so nostalgic to play that game again after so many years. It's short and sweet, it was a blast going through it again with my sister like we did so many times before. I played the sequel around that time too and what a let down SoR3 was, I'm glad I didn't play it back then. I know a sequel/reboot of SoR would never do justice to this series, due to my nostalgia around it.

I am not nostalgic of games from the last decade yet, but my 2D niche has been filled by Nintendo/downloadable titles.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I actually play old games most of the time. Just to give you some indications, I got 221 games on my GOG shelves and had bought over 80 VC titles on my Wii.

The main reason is because most modern action games really don't interest me in the slightest. Action-Adventures or Sandbox titles never interested me very much, Halo moved Ego-shooters into a direction I do not like at all (I loved nonsensical action-packed shooters like Serious Sam with a huge selection of similary ludicrous weapons, and being able to have them all at once but still needing to count my bullets because ammo is pretty rare. Oh, and lots of secrets to find. So pretty much everything that ain't in modern shooters anymore). I love brawlers, Turn-based wargames, whacky arcade racers and "sports" titles, non bullet hell spaceshooters, western RPG with a full party and turn-based (or real time with pause) combat and generally different concepts and hard games (but not punishingly hard).

In other words, pretty much everything that ain't mainstream anymore I love, and most that is mainstream nowadays doesn't interest me. Despite mostly playing on my PC, I haven't found any need yet for an Uplay or Origin or any similar account, and even got steam only because of some gifts and Kickstarter betas, have only bought a single game there yet (South Park: The Stick of truth).

It's also the reason why my consoles tend to be from Nintendo. Nintendo is much less Mainstream, it's games carve from genres mostly forgotten by all other publishers, their VC is a treasure chest of old yet good games and recently it's Nindies programm adds games from smaller developers, which often also are nonconformist.

Legacy of Goku 2