By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PlayStation Just As Iconic As Nintendo?

Sony's console line might be iconic, but unfortunately, Sony doesn't really capitalize and nurture older IP's, instead often replacing them, which is a shame.

Around the Network

I think so,but for different reasons.

Ka-pi96 said:
IMO PlayStation has already surpassed Nintendo, long ago even.

Yup, especially in Europe, Playstation is often used instead of "gaming console". No matter what it is, many people call it playstation (especially the older ones, because to them Playstation is what they remember).

Abun said:
Qwark said:
Nintendo may have saven the industrie but Sony Let the industrie to bloom again and continue doing this. Diversity is Key even now Sony comes with until dawn and Dreams and creates New genres. In which they are kind of unique, unlike Nintendo which is operating mostly in there safe zone of 2d platformers, partygames, sportgames and games From an era where Nintendo had bigger balls, like Zelda, Metroid and Starfox and Pikmin aND rarely a new IP. Whereas Sony dares to write of succesfull IP's as uncharted Jack and probably GOW after GOW 4 to create something New like TLOU.

These points are true too.Most people I know including myself only still play games because of Sony.The Wii and casual market only existed because of Sony and CDROM(disc) took over because of Sony.Each generation they create NEW experiences that became the face of PlayStation,no one else has done that.EyeToy games gave birth to the Wii games.It was Sony's ideas that inspired Nintendo's most successful console.

Eye Toy did not inspired Wii at all.

And btw, playstation was first a Nintendo and Sony project, and it wasn´t the first consolue with CD, have you heard about Sega CD or Phillips CDi?

Sony fans will say yes, Nintendo fans will say no, pretty much end of story.

For me, it depends on who you're asking; people my age will likely say that Nintendo is the more iconic since we grew up in a time without Playstation (the first one released here when I was 12) and younger gamers may state the PS is more iconic.
The very term implies that it will vary from group to group.

For me, personally; they're about the same, Nintendo has the history, Sony has the mainstream impact and branching into more functionality and breadth.
Both are being terribly boring as of late though, I have bought a single console game in the past 15 months and don't even own an 8th gen console yet.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Sony fans will say yes, Nintendo fans will say no, pretty much end of story.

For me, it depends on who you're asking; people my age will likely say that Nintendo is the more iconic since we grew up in a time without Playstation (the first one released here when I was 12) and younger gamers may state the PS is more iconic.
The very term implies that it will vary from group to group.

For me, personally; they're about the same, Nintendo has the history, Sony has the mainstream impact and branching into more functionality and breadth.
Both are being terribly boring as of late though, I have bought a single console game in the past 15 months and don't even own an 8th gen console yet.

For me, personally; they're about the same, Nintendo has the history, Sony has the mainstream impact and branching into more functionality and breadth------those are pretty much my thoughts. it's like you read my mind. 

Its more iconic.

4k1x3r said:
Ka-pi96 said:
IMO PlayStation has already surpassed Nintendo, long ago even.

Yup, especially in Europe, Playstation is often used instead of "gaming console". No matter what it is, many people call it playstation (especially the older ones, because to them Playstation is what they remember).

I think is more like ONLY in Europe, because in America ( the most important market) and in Japan ( the home of Sony and Nintendo ) Nintendo is stronger than Sony.

WolfpackN64 said:
Sony's console line might be iconic, but unfortunately, Sony doesn't really capitalize and nurture older IP's, instead often replacing them, which is a shame.

which is the right thing to do, thats why i like them. I would like if they make another siren again but i wouldnt like them having some kind of mascot like masterchief and mario over new IPs.

Console wise; yes.
When you tell people you play video games they will say PS(current gen).

But iconic wise; no.
If you tell the same people you play Nintendo they will say 'oh Mario/Pokemon', etc.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda