By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PlayStation Just As Iconic As Nintendo?

mountaindewslave said:

it's as if you don't know what 'iconic' means. the Playstation sells well because it connects with CURRENT consumers who want shooters and casual games. sales do not automatically mean brand power in all cases, and especially don't always equal longevity in terms of being iconic.

If anything Sony did prove it's longevity, maybe even more so than Nintendo when you take a look at the current generation ...

mountaindewslave said:

no doubt Sony has done a great job with the Playstation brand and its ability to SELL consoles, but the reality is that there are few things from the Playstation systems and brand that are truly iconic.

do yourself a favor and try to list the number of revolutionary things that Playstation systems presented upon release- you'll have difficulty because things like using CD's for gaming had been done years prior and in the more recent generations their systems have been very similar to some of the competition (namely Xbox)

Innovation does not earn you the right to be iconic and what exactly has Nintendo achieved aside from quality control ? 

mountaindewslave said:

even in terms of IPs and branding, the Playstation is missing anything particularly iconic. go ahead, name off some 'iconic' Playstation characters or game series- you'll try and then realize that all of the IPs that come to mind are that of third parties that just did exceptionally well on that particular system

Sony has done a great job with the Playstation in terms of selling units. I was tempted to say 'selling units and making money' but for some reason they've failed to generally make money with their video game division, even during the PS2 era, despite strong sales.

it's a great product but not iconic. someone up in this thread mentioned Mission Impossible and 007, and I think that's a great parallel. even if the  Mission Impossible movies today were to more relate to consumers and sell more tickets- it doesn't magically make the brand more iconic or relevant to society. its simply how things eb and flow

Sony does lack when it comes to intellectual properties but they most definitely don't lack when it comes to brand power and that's especially important. It's the victor who shall write in the history books not the loser! Did you even look at Sony's financial statement during the PS2 era ? They made a shit ton of cash and if it weren't for the Gameboy Advance Nintendo would not be showing black ink in the 6th gen ... 

The comparison between Mission impossible and 007 is plain bad. When it comes to the gaming industry Nintendo is only 12 years older than Sony and them been more relevant recently MORE than makes up for it ... 

mountaindewslave said:

in 20 years someone could ask themselves the same question I'd have you ask right now- what comes to mind when you think of "Playstation". a video game system, sure, but beyond that what? there just aren't many iconic qualities in terms of innovations and characters that were strictly from Sony and their Playstation brand

I can hardly read 20 years into the future but if Nintendo keeps up like this hardly anyone will remember them just like how nobody bats an eye when Atari gets mentioned despite being the first progenitor of the videogame industry ...

mountaindewslave said:

Nintendo on the other hand- 1985 to now- some of the same IPs and characters and older systems of theirs are so engrained in society. Mario is probably second only to Mickey Mouse as being the most well known and valuable character IP on the planet

look at the used market too- Nintendo items, FROM ANY GENERATION, are way more in demand than that of Playstation, even Playstation 1. I think that speaks volumes about how society, young and old, view and appreciate the two brands. People seem to really like Playstation in the now, when they're casual gaming, but as far as longevity goes the brand just does not hold the same attention or appreciation

Cool how Nintendo still has collectors value but it doesn't make them anymore relevant in today's market ... 

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Areym said:

Not really? The PS4 is taking the Wii U to the cleaners in America.

What's the best seller console ever in the US? DS, which outsold the PS2 by nearly 10 million.

Touche. Still, I believe the PS brand is currently stronger than the Nintendo one in the US. 

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Ryng_Tolu said:
4k1x3r said:

Nintendo stronger than Sony in America? Plz dude, plz...

Best seller console ever in the US:

1) DS = 54,000,000

2) PS2 = 46,000,000

3) 360 = 42,500,000

4) Wii = 42,000,000

5) GB = 40,000,000

Nintendo - 3

Sony - 1

Microsoft - 1

What do you think, who is stronger?

So basically Nintendo did better for one gen and worse for three, and is currently weaker there than ever, yet they are currently stronger in that region than playstation somehow. I'd really love to hear you explain how that works, nevermind the fact that apparently only the US matters now.

OT: Playstation is more iconic as a gaming brand than Nintendo globally, but Nintendo's franchises are more iconic than playstation's. In both cases I think it largely came down to a matter of timing. The original playstation came at a time where developers were growing tired of Nintendo ruling over them. It provided a better alternative for game development, thus cementing the system's success and the brand's name in history. On the other hand, Nintendo took advantage of its position in the market and limited competition early on to build games with iconic mascots that would forever be associated with the company's name. While modern Nintendo frequently makes drastic hardware changes, Playstation does the same with software and ip. It's interesting how different the two companies' philosophies are.

Someone quoted me but I'm not reading through 172 new messages to find it. I'm sorry.

Wright said:

Someone quoted me but I'm not reading through 172 new messages to find it. I'm sorry.

You are soulless

Around the Network

No. .-.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Goodnightmoon said:
Wright said:

You are soulless

I know I am. I'm a monster.

For consoles Sony is iconic. For actually game characters they are not touching Nintendo. PlayStation didn't get real iconic characters until late in the ps2 with kratos. And PS3 is when it felt like Sony started to care about its characters. Third party characters are iconic on PlayStation but most have been on other systems.

Iconic doesn't always mean good. Sony isn't going to even bother challenging Nintendo's brand power with Playstation, because that is probably for the best. - First party overshadowing third party isn't good for their business.

Nintendo's brand power is at the point where sticking their name on the package as a publisher can sell products better, but that comes at the cost. - Other products, notably third parties won't going to sell that well.

I just think it is two different way for companies to manage their brand for specific purpose.

They hold a very similar recognition. Eeven if the PlayStation family sells the most, a good portion of people still know about Mario, Zelda and the wide selection of Nintendo's machines, Wii U aside.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.