By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We're Back (Update #8)! Coney & Blue's Excellent Adventure: Final Fantasy IX! Come Play Along!

Tagged games:

outlawauron said:
Blue Magic has always been a bit of enigma in FF games. I really like the implementation in FF9 though. Angel's Snack is OP and you can some things you never quite expected by acquiring the right skills.

I tried to use Angel's Snack and it didn't work...what am I missing?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
outlawauron said:
Blue Magic has always been a bit of enigma in FF games. I really like the implementation in FF9 though. Angel's Snack is OP and you can some things you never quite expected by acquiring the right skills.

It uses a remedy for each party member. if you don't have 4 remedies with a 4 person party, it will not work. Easiest way to dispell party wide status effects.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Conegamer said:

It uses a remedy for each party member. if you don't have 4 remedies with a 4 person party, it will not work. Easiest way to dispell party wide status effects.

Oh OK, so it cures all status effects? Sounds incredibly useful!

Conegamer said:
Will it end up being just Blue and I posting in here? If so then I'll have to call it off, which I'd rather not do.

Excellent writeup though Blue! Seems we're about at the same point now.

ugh. Alright, I'll post regular updates of what I've been doing in the game in here I've gotten ahead of you both btw. I'm a little past the black mage village near the lifa tree. I just a got Eiko as a character. 

I would recommend that both of you find all of the chocographs that you can. 

Also, I found a stellar place to grind. If you go up a ladder that's in Gizamaluke's grotto, you'll find the area on top of a mountain/hill. You can get to it in the first and second discs easily. There's a regular enemy here that's called "grand dragon" that will net you over 8000 exp per fight for a 4 member party. It's a level 65 dragon. It is the easiest and quickest way to level up to a decent level. It will save you time grinding later on. 

This creature is fiesty but with the right set up. it's very managable.

For the best way to deal with it, you'll need the auto-reflect ability (you can get it from the reflect ring that you can buy from the auction) for all 4 characters because the dragon likes to cast thundaga on you or all of the party which is a one hit kill. It will reflect back onto the dragon for a good bit of damage. Also with auto-reflect Vivi is a beast. You can cast a spell on your whole party and it will reflect back onto your enemy for about 4000 to 5000 damage. It would also help if you had the reflect null ability for your healer. 

Another way is to have coral rings equipped on the party. It will take longer this way but most likely, neither of you guys probably bought the reflect ring. it will work though.

Regardless of which way you use, you'll need to equip the ability, antibody on everyone because the dragon has a poison attack that's nasty.

Just revive whoever dies from his physical attacks and you should be fine. 

You can probably kill him in 5 mins or less depending on set up.

Leadified said:

Not too sure on when Coney is coming back but I played a little bit on my own to backtrack a little on some areas that I missed, so think of this as a half update.

Since we're back with Zidane and the main gang, I decided to check out the Chocobo Forest, which I missed earlier, and try to get Quina some skills. I bought some new staffs for Vivi so he has a few new abilities now. I also noticed that I missed out on a ton of abilities with this party, so that's a bit of a pain but I'll manage.

I've picked up quite a few potions and tents from the ability grinding with the other party so going back through the Grotto and traveling around the overworld wasn't too much trouble. One of those Ironite dragon things suddenly froze on me and then disappeared, not sure what that was all about. But finding the forest was easy enough, got my own chocobo now which is really handy! I played the digging minigame in the forest, which is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but it seems like you can find some interesting loot and for 60 gil it's not too bad.

I went back to Qu's Marsh after to see what I can do about Quina, let him/her hunt some frogs for a bit although I'm not too sure if it was really worth the time but at least I got a few items out of it. I learnt how Quina's eat ability works so I managed to get a few abilities out of it, Angel's Snack seems to be pretty useful. Blue magic is interesting so far, not really what I expected it to be, but in any case I'll have to experiment more with it.

So that's pretty much it for this short mini-update! Next update we'll check out what's happening in Cleyra!

Did you go back to Lindblum after Burmecia? I always wondered if the characters react differently after you've witnessed the horrors in Burmecia (probably not...), but I was always too lazy to go through that grotto again :-p

Around the Network

This dragon sounds a little OP in fairness! Got the Reflect rings but right now I'm not sure if it's a necessity. Not the most difficult thing ever

Honestly, it really, really isn't worth it to grind on Grand Dragons. It takes a fair bit of preparation, all so that you can over level yourself and remove challenge from the rest of the experience.

LuckyTrouble said:
Honestly, it really, really isn't worth it to grind on Grand Dragons. It takes a fair bit of preparation, all so that you can over level yourself and remove challenge from the rest of the experience.

There's not really any challenge to throw yourself at in these type of games that tests actual player skill except for someone's patience involving tasks. It's more about math than anything. Are your stats good enough to beat this foe? It's not like you can roll out of an attack or slip an attack by using any skill. You don't have to use any strategy. I literally can beat the majority of enemies by just pressing the X button over and over again. Heal when needed. There's not much to it. Challenge isn't the focus of this game but the story is.

Zuhyc said:

Did you go back to Lindblum after Burmecia? I always wondered if the characters react differently after you've witnessed the horrors in Burmecia (probably not...), but I was always too lazy to go through that grotto again :-p

That's a good question! I should go back and check it out to see if there is any new dialogue.

Aeolus451 said:
LuckyTrouble said:

There's not really any challenge to throw yourself at in these type of games that tests actual player skill except for someone's patience involving tasks. It's more about math than anything. Are your stats good enough to beat this foe? It's not like you can roll out of an attack or slip an attack by using any skill. You don't have to use any strategy. I literally can beat the majority of enemies by just pressing the X button over and over again. Heal when needed. There's not much to it. Challenge isn't the focus of this game but the story is.

Go check out Ozma for me and let me know how that "Just pressing X over and over again" goes for you. 

Final Fantasy games aren't super difficult, but to say there's not much to it and you need zero strategy is false. Especially considering when how depth you go with setting up your team to tackle a certain fight.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.