By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Picked Up An XB1 Over The Weekend

Happy wife, happy life!

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

I'm hoping IGN's recent video on Scalebound is a better representation of what the game actually is, I've been trying to be open minded about XB1, but the issues with installs on the hardware, that just aren't present on the PS4, along with a much slicker UI do turn me off of getting one.

It's funny that these things weren't a problem with the 360, even though the processor in XB1 and memory are much faster, hopefully the windows 10 update will improve things and MS can leave this negative aspect of the system behind them.
IMO they need to add in a play and charge kit into the box, it's a feature built into the DS4, yes DS4 doesn't last as long battery wise, but it's dead easy to just plug in a USB cable and it's charged in no time, plus it's not really a hassle to use with a cable for a little while, as they're pretty light weight and you barely notice them.

Personally I'll wait until more games come out next year and I can get the system for a much cheaper price. There are still a few games now that I would say I would play if I had an XB1, but I'm still waiting on those games that make me want to buy the platform.

When I think to myself that for the amount of money it would cost me to buy an XB1, I could just buy a bunch of new games that I really want on my PS4 now.
PS4 also being my system for Multiplats and having exclusives I'm still yet to buy does hold me back, I'm not just going to buy an XB1, for the sake of getting one.

As for the games you got, Sunset Overdrive looks fun, but I wonder how much appeal it has after you've played through it? Also how long and varied is the single player story mode?
MCC I basically have on my 360 and original Xbox already with the originals that came to each platform, I don't personally feel that I'd buy that again unless I saw it really cheap, like £10 or it came in a huge bundle pack for very cheap with the console.

Microsoft huge gaps in exclusive releases do turn me off, next year looks much better than this year and 2014.
I'm hoping that Microsoft and Remedy are just showing off Quantum Break in a poor way, because right the Kotaku and other media comments make it seem like a pretty boring shooter, with TV that interrupts any decent pacing of the game and with time powers tacked on to make you feel like a god.

Scalebound doesn't grab me either, unless it has solid gameplay and isn't just tech for the sake of cloud tech.
Maybe ReCore will be more interesting, with some great platforming and decent open worlds, we'll see what happens when MS shows some of that.
Gears 4 I'm not really sold on either, it looks like it's lost all of the magic of the previous main games of the series.
Halo 5 may be fun, I had a good time playing through Halo 4 and I guess I don't necessarily need to have a huge boost to the visuals or any kind of dynamic physics to give me that next gen spectacle.

I'm hoping the above games just haven't been shown off in the best ways, MS really needs to make sure those titles have good depth too sell me on getting an XB1, without that I'll just put my money elsewhere and keep my attention on PS4 or maybe even Wii U if Zelda stays on the platform and I can get a good deal on that console eventually.

Can't say Microsoft are hooking me in at all yet, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

JustBeingReal said:
I'm hoping IGN's recent video on Scalebound is a better representation of what the game actually is, I've been trying to be open minded about XB1, but the issues with installs on the hardware, that just aren't present on the PS4, along with a much slicker UI do turn me off of getting one.

It's funny that these things weren't a problem with the 360, even though the processor in XB1 and memory are much faster, hopefully the windows 10 update will improve things and MS can leave this negative aspect of the system behind them.
IMO they need to add in a play and charge kit into the box, it's a feature built into the DS4, yes DS4 doesn't last as long battery wise, but it's dead easy to just plug in a USB cable and it's charged in no time, plus it's not really a hassle to use with a cable for a little while, as they're pretty light weight and you barely notice them.

Personally I'll wait until more games come out next year and I can get the system for a much cheaper price. There are still a few games now that I would say I would play if I had an XB1, but I'm still waiting on those games that make me want to buy the platform.

When I think to myself that for the amount of money it would cost me to buy an XB1, I could just buy a bunch of new games that I really want on my PS4 now.
PS4 also being my system for Multiplats and having exclusives I'm still yet to buy does hold me back, I'm not just going to buy an XB1, for the sake of getting one.

As for the games you got, Sunset Overdrive looks fun, but I wonder how much appeal it has after you've played through it? Also how long and varied is the single player story mode?
MCC I basically have on my 360 and original Xbox already with the originals that came to each platform, I don't personally feel that I'd buy that again unless I saw it really cheap, like £10 or it came in a huge bundle pack for very cheap with the console.

Microsoft huge gaps in exclusive releases do turn me off, next year looks much better than this year and 2014.
I'm hoping that Microsoft and Remedy are just showing off Quantum Break in a poor way, because right the Kotaku and other media comments make it seem like a pretty boring shooter, with TV that interrupts any decent pacing of the game and with time powers tacked on to make you feel like a god.

Scalebound doesn't grab me either, unless it has solid gameplay and isn't just tech for the sake of cloud tech.
Maybe ReCore will be more interesting, with some great platforming and decent open worlds, we'll see what happens when MS shows some of that.
Gears 4 I'm not really sold on either, it looks like it's lost all of the magic of the previous main games of the series.
Halo 5 may be fun, I had a good time playing through Halo 4 and I guess I don't necessarily need to have a huge boost to the visuals or any kind of dynamic physics to give me that next gen spectacle.

I'm hoping the above games just haven't been shown off in the best ways, MS really needs to make sure those titles have good depth too sell me on getting an XB1, without that I'll just put my money elsewhere and keep my attention on PS4 or maybe even Wii U if Zelda stays on the platform and I can get a good deal on that console eventually.

Can't say Microsoft are hooking me in at all yet, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Respect.

You posted your pros and cons very well.  Xbox One is my second favorite console right now but your points are valid.  Hope they make the appropriate changes to hook you one day!

*edit* just an FYI, the same power cord the ps4 uses works on Xbox One

JustBeingReal said:

I was in the exact same boat as you as far as reasons for holding off.  If it weren't for the sale I would've continued holding out myself.  Quantum Break, prior to the most recent negativity it seems to be attracting, was going to be my jumping on point.  As it stands right now I am going to finish up Sunset, grab Ori, try Neverwinter, and then wait until the next exclusive (probably Scalebound for me).  I don't anticipate spending a ton of time with the console for a while.  Similar to my Wii U, this one is just an exclusive machine for me.

Neodegenerate said:

The UI on the Xbox is a complete eyesore to me.  I am hoping that it will grow on me over time.  The amount of advertising that immediately leaps out to me on each tab is a complete turn off though.  I understand advertising things in the store tab, but must I see what Twitch channels have high viewership without specifically going to Twitch?  Seems unnecessary to me.  That said, I do enjoy the Pin tab.  At least I have complete control there.  I didn't spend much time in the settings menus yet so maybe I am overlooking the ability to customize (or remove) the other tabs... hopefully.

I'm no fan of the tiles-look, but after immediately changing the default color from green to a dark blue, it is okay. The ads don't bother me much... I (almost automatically) press the LB-button to switch from the home screen to the "pin screen". Then I have my 9 pins with my favorite functions on the left, the main tile in the middle, "docking" and "my games/apps" (so the whole library only one click away) on the right and the last played games at the bottom. 

Around the Network
Conina said:
Neodegenerate said:

The UI on the Xbox is a complete eyesore to me.  I am hoping that it will grow on me over time.  The amount of advertising that immediately leaps out to me on each tab is a complete turn off though.  I understand advertising things in the store tab, but must I see what Twitch channels have high viewership without specifically going to Twitch?  Seems unnecessary to me.  That said, I do enjoy the Pin tab.  At least I have complete control there.  I didn't spend much time in the settings menus yet so maybe I am overlooking the ability to customize (or remove) the other tabs... hopefully.

I'm no fan of the tiles-look, but after immediately changing the default color from green to a dark blue, it is okay. The ads don't bother me much... I (almost automatically) press the LB-button to switch from the home screen to the "pin screen". Then I have my 9 pins with my favorite functions on the left, the main tile in the middle, "docking" and "my games/apps" (so the whole library only one click away) on the right and the last played games at the bottom. 

I switched it over to a purple color in the initial set up so that took some of the hurt away from the UI.  I am also finding myself immediately rushing to the pins tab in order to avoid all the other stuff.  Hopefully the new UI update can get some of this stuff off my list of dislikes, especially given how trivial it actually is in the grand scheme.

JustBeingReal said:

I have to say this was very well written with valid points.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

This is my daily routine on Xbone. When I open the door when i get home, I say, "Xbone, On". I can tell it heard me when I hear its ON beep. It turns everything on and goes straight to TV. I walk to the entertainment room and I say, "Xbone, sign in, choose this person". Then I say, "Xbone, go home." Then I scroll to the right and see how I'm ranked in Achievements with other people. Then I go to Friends and spy on them. Then I say, "Xbone, go to twitch." Then see if any of the hotties I'm following is broadcasting. If no hotties are on, I say, "Xbone, watch H2". Maybe once a week I'll play some Forza Horizon 2

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
pbroy said:
This is my daily routine on Xbone. When I open the door when i get home, I say, "Xbone, On". I can tell it heard me when I hear its ON beep. It turns everything on and goes straight to TV. I walk to the entertainment room and I say, "Xbone, sign in, choose this person". Then I say, "Xbone, go home." Then I scroll to the right and see how I'm ranked in Achievements with other people. Then I go to Friends and spy on them. Then I say, "Xbone, go to twitch." Then see if any of the hotties I'm following is broadcasting. If no hotties are on, I say, "Xbone, watch H2". Maybe once a week I'll play some Forza Horizon 2

I want to do all those things but I can't bring myself to keep the console in rest mode and I didn't buy the Kinect version so I doubt I have all the fun voice options.  Besides, console is on a power strip that is triggered by the TV.  If the TV is on everything is on, if the TV is off power to the other ports is turned off (conservation ftw) and I am far too lazy to turn that feature off on the strip.

pbroy said:

I'm going to need a list of said " hottie's" for my research.