By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seems that P. Spencer strangled Kotaku editor's cat (Halo 5/Q. Break)

That's fine. It's one persons view from a gaming website. This is the only article for either game to paint something negative around it.

What people shouldn't do though is take this one negative preview and immediately start the "yeah I figured it would be a bad game" nonsense.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Torillian said:

You wanted a dialogue on that one?  Seemed like a reasonable response that people should find specific writers they like to forego these issues, I generally don't post "yeah I agree" while at work because I'm busy.  Did you mean that the standard should be to assume all writers are unthuthful until you specifically learn that they are not?  Guilty until proven innocent basically?  If so then no I disagree, but it's not really something I'd want to debate about.  Regardless of the current state of the journalism industry by stance is that it is perfectly rational and normal to change one's mind when presented with new evidence and that should not be a sign of someone being untrustworthy.    

Well, I was hoping for some kind of response, either that you understood what I meant, or maybe a critique on the statement (And you gave it, so I thank you).  In the realm of this thread, what you have to say is absolutely relevant.  It IS hard being a writer online, and as a fan of games who depends on outside sources for information, it's also very hard on users to have to jump from place to place to place to find writers they can put their confidence in.

I would stop you however, from refering to it as a debate.  It's not necessarily about winning points in an argument.  I think it's a very real issue, and something that only open dialogue between writers themselves and fans can work through.  Because I do think it's fair to suggest that many people view all writers now, through a lens of skepticism first, and that's unfair to the profession and the individual, and it's an ugly fact that the poor behavior of others has kind of hurt all established and aspiring writers.

To be honest I guess I don't really concern myself with the state of the industry as a whole because I don't consider myself a part of it.  I'm a video game journalist the same way someone who fixes up their house on the weekend is a contractor.  I've never worried about this general mistrust of game journalism because in the end it affects a very small part of my life.  An enjoyable part of my life, but a small one none the less.  So I guess I didn't initially respond because I just don't find the gamergate type topic (I don't mean to label you in such a crowd, but it was the only term I could come up with for this type of discussion of general media trustworthiness) interesting to talk about.  

When I make a comment on these things, it's from the point of an individual writer who puts things on the internet and would prefer that he be treated with the same benefit of the doubt I think most would give someone they meet in person.  Because I've put my true identity out there so this isn't an anonymous internet post which I can understand not trusting on face value.  I personally give the benefit of the doubt to any writer putting content online, particularly when they have knowledge I don't.  I trust social scientists that a study on the effects of first experience on gay black men is worth millions of dollars.  I trust artists that a gallery of 7 artists' interpretation of the color white is worth their time (not mine, but at least theirs).  I admit that might make me overly optimistic or naieve, but I think that most people are good, honest people, and I think that applies to game journalists just as much as it applies to any profession.  

I use to question those tin hat people when it comes to paid reviews, but not anymore. After the whole gamer gate thing exposed just how fake it all is, I'd be careful to listen to any website like it's the bible anymore.

Or maybe the game isn't as good as we expect.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Obviously I haven't played the game, but neither has anybody here.

It's possible that the game is just bad....

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Or maybe the game isn't as good as we expect.

Lol exactly. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Goatseye said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
The issue here is whether the criticised "feature" in Quantum Break is true and it really works like that: if a game forced me to watch many badly performed and scripted cutscenes up to 20 minutes long without being able to skip them and get a written summary instead, I'd say things about it that would make Kotaku look cute and lovely as a kitten in comparison.

“You make a choice, and it’s kind of an interactive player-generated cliffhanger at the end of the act. And then you watch an episode of the show and immediately you start seeing consequences of the choice that you make.”

These live-action bits will be skippable, but doing so means players run the risk of missing important clues about how to proceed when they regain full control.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/14/quantum-break-tv-interactive-live-action-story-xbox-one-remedy/

This is how much this guy knows about the game.

As long as MS lets me know in advance what kind of game it is, so that I can avoid a purchase that would disappoint me, no bad feelings against it.
In these cases, like always, reviewers must give readers the instruments to make their choice, so they must make very clear some things: what the game is, its features, plot, gameplay, graphics, etc, whether they like the game as a whole and each of its parts, and if they don't, why, whether it's because they have different tastes, or if it's for technical flaws or maybe just design choices that make a thing unpleasnt because it was implemented in that particular way, but that they could have liked if made differently. Doing a review this way, readers can decide with their heads, and both positive and negative opinions will be equally useful. A blind rant or praise, OTOH, won't be useful at all.
In this particular case, for people that really don't like interactive movie games, what MS told should already be enough. For those that OTOH like them, a review can be useful to tell whether a feature they like was also made in a way they like.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I mean he is entitled to his opinion and although I was very much impressed by QB's gamescon demo and love Remedy as a studio I am also on the fence around QB just because of the TV integration. On the other hand his whole article on Halo is absolute terrible and he is terribly uneducated on Halo 5's game mechanics and some of his statements regarding weapons are ridiculous since it is the same weapons that have been in Halo a while.

Headshot said:
I mean he is entitled to his opinion and although I was very much impressed by QB's gamescon demo and love Remedy as a studio I am also on the fence around QB just because of the TV integration. On the other hand his whole article on Halo is absolute terrible and he is terribly uneducated on Halo 5's game mechanics and some of his statements regarding weapons are ridiculous since it is the same weapons that have been in Halo a while.

Just to point out Halo and QB articles are written by different people. In case that got overlooked (if it's relevant, of course).

Ouch! Things don't sound too good for either game.MS needs better quality control with their games apparently.QB certainly looks bland.Halo has always been generic.