By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer says Xbox first party should be pushing harder for diversity in genre & mechanics

Faelco said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

Look up the genre of that game.

Thanks, I know. But come on, Halo Halo Halo Halo.... Is MS unable to sell something if Halo or Gears is not in the title ? Are they that afraid to try something really new and to let go these IPs ?

You want to make a RTS ? Bring us Age of Empires back !

Yeah let's not cater to the millions of Halo/Gears fans and let go of that ip. I'm sure they won't mind... /sarcasm

I and a bunch of other plans that love RTS and Halo have been clamoring for a Halo Wars 2 for a while now. I actually thought it would never happen since that studio was disbanded.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Gimme shoot bang tits with different stories and characters microsht

Moderated - Leadified

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

DirtyP2002 said:
Faelco said:

Thanks, I know. But come on, Halo Halo Halo Halo.... Is MS unable to sell something if Halo or Gears is not in the title ? Are they that afraid to try something really new and to let go these IPs ?

You want to make a RTS ? Bring us Age of Empires back !

Who would anyone let Halo or Gears just go?! whatever that means.

You asked for new IPs, they will bring you Quantum Break and Scalebound. Both look incredibly promising to me.
Then you go on and say that if they want to make an RTS, they should use an existing IP like AoE?!

That makes zero sense to me.

In the last 10 years, how many Halo games, Gears games did we have ? And how many AoE games ? Do the maths, it will make sense (it should be something like 8, 6, and 1...).  If you can't understand the difference between bringing back AoE and doing a Halo RTS...

And yes, you can let go an IP = not using it anymore. You don't have to use it again and again and again, like Nintendo with Mario. Or do you want Halo Tennis, Halo Soccer and Halo Kart too ? You can have a Xbox without Halo, it shouldn't die without it. Or maybe it would, and it's even more problematic for MS. Bungie stopped doing Halo games and MS gave the IP to another studio to make sure to milk it until it dies... (an other user has a nice comic signature about that) It's not a good thing IMO.

EDIT : The other user is ArchangelMadzz ;) And trust me, if Sony one day does an Uncharted RTS or something like that, I'll me really disappointed too.

That entire conference made me sort of sad. It was excellent for MS, but it felt so... DudeBro? to me. Don't get me wrong, I think MS is doing a WAAAAYYYY better job to please gamers compared to Sony's terrible services, but everything involved freaking shooting. Scalebound didn't even hype me up as much as I wanted it to because I'm too excited for Xenoblade X and FF, and it looked like it was trying to be that, but for those who only own Xbox Ones, that title definitely looks like a must have.

Goddbless said:
yvanjean said:

FPS (Halo); Third person shooter (Gears of wars, Crackdown 3, Quantum break); Action (Scalebound); (RTS) Halo Wars 2; Action-Adventure (Recore); Racer (Forza); Fighting (Killer Instinct); Platformers (Ori & Max); Action RPG (Fables); Simulator (Zoo Tycoon & Screamride) & fitness games.

They are clearly missing a major RPG game... but that doesn't seem to be a priority this generation. 

Crackdown 3 is not a TPS. You do more platforming in Crackdown than anything once the orb addiction sets in. It should be under action game.

Genre(s) Action-adventurethird-person shooter

Still a shooter persay .... doesn't really sells Phil Spencer diversity hence why I left in TPS.

I just wanted to show that Microsoft is doing a good job already with Diversity. I think many on this site forget about indies and their part of Phil's plan to cover the diversity.  

Around the Network

I've heard it before. Show me something to back it up since the only exclusives I've ever really cared for on Xbox have been Halo mainline games (no RTS) and the first Gears.  Oh yeah and the Xbox Insomniac game was kinda cool too.  Not enough for me to spend even $200 for a system.

I am Iron Man

Wagram said:
JRPGs Phil, that's the only way I buy the system. Lost Odyssey 2.

Well, the Lost Odyssey needs way more votes than it currently has on the Xbox website for Lost Odyssey 2 to be even considered.

Sea of Theives?

d21lewis said:
Sea of Theives?

Was just about to comment about Sea of Theives. It seems everyone forgot about it. Poor Rare. Don't think it really matters to most people bashing MS's first party though.

More diversity like Forza one year and Forza horizon the next?