By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Scalebound Looked...Underwhelming

Tagged games:

Metallox said:
fleischr said:
This game has an identity crisis.

Is it supposed to be an action game which Kamiya and PG are known for, or some MMO-like RPG?

So you're saying Platinum should make action games forever? They already said what it is, an action RPG.

No. I like to see Platinum take on more genres (sidebar: a fighting game especially), but Scalebound really lacks the PG spirit.

Action-wise,  besides having a Dragon fight for you, it looks pretty slow even for a JRPG. Games like FFXV show immensely more diversity in swordplay, gunplay, and enemy AI.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

I also feel somehow underwhelmed... I can't get over that fucking character fucker. Platinum's games are usually simple. Maybe they're not really ready for something complex.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Enjoyed the game and is a day one buy for me.

I'm not sold either. I think it has potential though, it's a pre-alpha and they have lots of time to improve the game so let's see. What I absolutely hate is that dubstep music, jesus, there are a lot of dubstep in gaming world right now xDDDD.

it looked good but I agree, there is something off in the character animation. Overall not impressed.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Even if you thought it looks "underwhelming", unless you just like watching games you won't know if it's any good until you actually play it...

As a gamer, truer words have never been spoken! Thank you. Sorry I don't have more to add other then wait for reviews/impressions before damning a game before release.

It's a shame that people are judging how the game plays just because it didn't seem as nonstop action packed and fast like other Platinum Games such as Bayonetta. You know sometimes a developer does want to try NEW things, Kamiya even said it was an action RPG.

Plus we still don't know if the whole game is going to play like that from the little we've seen of actual gameplay. It could easily become more as you go through the game, in fact I would be surprised if it didn't.

fleischr said:
Metallox said:

So you're saying Platinum should make action games forever? They already said what it is, an action RPG.

No. I like to see Platinum take on more genres (sidebar: a fighting game especially), but Scalebound really lacks the PG spirit.

I say you should wait.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I loved the game, will get it upon launch.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

It looks quite boring too me to be honest, I mean for one thing there's some very awkward collaboration between the main character and his Dragon companion, the gameplay just seems like you're going through the motions to defeat the next enemy.
Like you direct the Dragon here, then you throw attack here, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of strategy or challenge to actually have to succeed at fighting each enemy and everything just seems very aimless.

There was a lack of variety in what the player was able to do as well, like all it seems to be about is you on foot, next to your Dragon, what about me being able to actually fly on my Dragon and the 2 of us working together well in flight and on the ground to take on enemies?

Visually it was also very underwhelming, couple that together with poor performance, with a lot of judder and very few enemies to take on in a given moment, with a distinct lack of variety and the environment not seeming very alive, it's just looking very poor at this point.
MS and Platinum Games need to work on these aspects to make them work, otherwise it's just going to end up as a lackluster experience and MS can't afford that in any of their exclusives for XB1 right now.