By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2015: Denver Broncos win Super Bowl 50

Who will win Super Bowl 50?

Patriots 116 25.00%

Seahawks 41 8.84%

Colts 7 1.51%

Packers 42 9.05%

Broncos 85 18.32%

Ravens 8 1.72%

Cowboys 18 3.88%

Panthers 56 12.07%

Other 74 15.95%

Scoreboard 17 3.66%

Total:464

Just saw that i have the same exact picks as 2 others...

Edit: Rol was 1 pick off from being the exact same too.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
I think Cassel needs to go in. Weeden is rough today (like most days). That was a perfect throw for an INT in a classic bonehead play. It's a miracle it wasn't caught.

Garrett just stated Wheeden was staying in, so seems like that won't be happening.

Major props to Dallas for hanging in there with that...really not great offense. It's starting to look like the formula for beating New England is to have strong edge rushers. Thankfully most teams don't have Greg Hardy...for more reasons than one.

Situationally, I am more aggressive with my idea of 4th down than most. However, 4th and 7 near midfield in the 1st quarter is .. not a great idea imho.

Now inside the 10, when you know it's the kind of game where a FG isn't going to be enough, I like to run it. Worst case, you stick their team deep and you can trust your defense. Or in the later parts of the game, I feel often that go for it on 4th nearly regardless of position should start earlier. ESPECIALLY if your defense is collapsing.

I do realize it's a very subjective thing. It just stood out because it was so bananas.

MTZehvor said:
Arkaign said:
I think Cassel needs to go in. Weeden is rough today (like most days). That was a perfect throw for an INT in a classic bonehead play. It's a miracle it wasn't caught.

Garrett just stated Wheeden was staying in, so seems like that won't be happening.

Major props to Dallas for hanging in there with that...really not great offense. It's starting to look like the formula for beating New England is to have strong edge rushers. Thankfully most teams don't have Greg Hardy...for more reasons than one.

True. This game is playing out pretty close to how I expected. Massively improved defense, pretty poor offense. After losing Romo and Dez, losing Dunbar was simply too much. He was the little guy that could get lost underneath and create speed matchup problems. With that gone, suddenly the opposing defense can key on your remaining weapons pretty closely. Notice Witten is MIA, that's no mistake. Belicheck knows he is important, and is blanketing him. And with Weeden, Garrett is (fairly) scared of having him throw into much coverage, so they are predictably running ino stacked boxes on 1st downs and many 2nd downs.

I'm excited about what I'm seeing overall. If Dallas can hang with the NFC East rivals until Romo and Dez are back, they will be a dangerous team. God knows their schedule is ludicrous though. It didn't help that NO played out of their minds last week, and this week played like trash against Philly. Sean Peyton and Rob Ryan both got let go by Dallas though, so they always bring it 110% against the Cowboys.

The Patriots are exceedingly good at utilizing whatever pieces in their machine. They are what Chip Kelly only dreams he could achieve with his mix and match 'system' football concepts.

Anyway, in this game I think if you took out the Patriots QB1 and WR1 starting this game, and had Romo and Dez in for Dallas, that the score would be basically flipped. So I think I'm okay with a competitive loss considering the ridiculous personnel shortage. Weeden is a capable relief pitcher. But a starter .. hahah. NO WAY.

So when will we see the last of Weeden? He is a shit QB and can't win a game to save his life. Why Dallas signed him to begin with is bewildering. When do we get to see Matt Cassel play? He's bound to be a few pegs better than Weeden. I'm not even going to put the blame 100% on Weeden either, the offense seems completely inept with it's obvious/generic play calling. Oh and the defense is still shit like it's been the past 4 or 5 years. That's great you can get sacks, doesn't mean jack if your corners and safeties can't cover anybody. Anyway, I don't even think we'll beat the shit teams on our schedule like Tampa Bay or the Jets. We'll probably lose every game without Romo and Dez . This rant is 3 weeks in the making, not just watching the Patriots either. In a way I guess we can hope for a high draft pick so we can maybe draft our future QB or if there's a top 10 RB because it's obvious Randle and McFadden aren't the answer. Life without Romo is a terrifying future..

End rant.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Peyton Wheelchair Noodlearm Manning tossed two interceptions today. The defense saved the day once again.

That defense is absolutely spectacular.

NobleTeam360 said:
So when will we see the last of Weeden? He is a shit QB and can't win a game to save his life. Why Dallas signed him to begin with is bewildering. When do we get to see Matt Cassel play? He's bound to be a few pegs better than Weeden. I'm not even going to put the blame 100% on Weeden either, the offense seems completely inept with it's obvious/generic play calling. Oh and the defense is still shit like it's been the past 4 or 5 years. That's great you can get sacks, doesn't mean jack if your corners and safeties can't cover anybody. Anyway, I don't even think we'll beat the shit teams on our schedule like Tampa Bay or the Jets. We'll probably lose every game without Romo and Dez . This rant is 3 weeks in the making, not just watching the Patriots either. In a way I guess we can hope for a high draft pick so we can maybe draft our future QB or if there's a top 10 RB because it's obvious Randle and McFadden aren't the answer. Life without Romo is a terrifying future..

End rant.

If your offense is a constant 3 and out machine, your defense is going to get beat sooner or later.

Randle and McFadden would look a whole lot better with Romo and Dez bringing guys off of the box.

Agreed on Weeden and general playcalling (those go hand in hand of course, Weeden is an INT machine when tasked with passes more than 5 yards down the line).

Don't give up yet. The NFC East and the season are really up to NYG. If we can hang in the vicinity of them, a divisional title is possible.

I would, however, dump Weeden on his ass. He is just not capable of being a starter. Period.

On the positive side, Weeden was SO absolutely garbage this game that he will be benched/released going forward. There simply is zero excuse. Zero.

Arkaign said:
On the positive side, Weeden was SO absolutely garbage this game that he will be benched/released going forward. There simply is zero excuse. Zero.

In before he still starts after the bye week

MTZehvor said:
Arkaign said:

Requoting because I think I called this a half earlier than the Cowboys brass did. I know JJones has been minimized, but I can't see him letting his team go out there with Weeden for another single snap after the garbage he put out today.

The defense started out great, and did so for a good while really. But if your offense keeps going 3 and out on the hands of a nearly useless basketcase, you have to realize what the weakest link is. Weeden has to go. I have nothing against him. But he has had more than his share of chances, it's simply past time for him to be put to pasture.