By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: Fewer 3rd party exclusives, focus is on 1st party

Snoopy said:
Colltrain said:

Yeah Microsoft can't afford third party games........

Don't bother with them. They're obviously Playstation fans. I guess Recore, Scalebound, Halo, Gears, Forza,Fable,Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, Sea of Theives, Crackdown and more isn't a sign of Microsoft building a great first party lineup. Not to say Sony isn't ,but still.  Microsoft still does third party deals like Madden and fallout. They just rather put more emphasis on first party games.

Recore,Scalebound and Quantum Break asre not owned by MS.Just like Alan Wake,which Remedy said the sequel could go to PS4 depending on the publisher.Killer Instinct already existed way before the Xbox and is just a download fighting game not on par with the likes of MK and SF.Sea of thoeves looks like a lame free to play game from a developer that has turned to crap.Really you are just naming games even though they are un proven and the same games like Halo,Fable,Gears and Crackdown are already established so it is easy to do sequels as you see  with the milking of Fable.MS lacks the pedigree that Sony and Nintendo has when it comes to first party and that is the truth.

Moderated - Leadified

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Abun said:
So basically Sony has beaten them at their own game and now they want to use Sony's strategy and deliver REAL exclusive games.I said last generation that MS should make their won games or own the franchises they publish.

They do not own Recore,Quantum Break or Scalebond so those games do not count and they can not sell anything other than Gears and Halo.As usual Phil is talking out his rear as mentioned before.People are delusional for eating his cooking as he promised plenty of Japanese exclusives were in development last year and where are they?

He has not shown me anything of fact yet so chalk this up as more PR and damage control statement.People will defend MS to the death though lol.

They own Recore, Quantum Break and Scalebound. If it was left to Microsofts devices to make those games themselves, yes they would tank, but Microsoft could create a badass studio with the money they have and create a great game. The potential is always there. Sony learned that lesson back in the 90's.

No,they don't own any of them.Notice MS said Recore is coming first to Xbox and remedy own's their won games just like Alan Wake.Why would they own these games but not Ryse or Sunset? They won't push any like Halo or Gears either way though.

sasquatchmontana said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

They pitched it to microsoft, and with their money they created gears. It's not a microsoft owned team thinking 'Lets come up with something new and awesome' and it happening.

Perhaps not, perhaps MS said "We want co-op for Xbox Live" and that's a pretty integral part of of gears as an IP. Defining even. I don't mind people mulling this, but unless you can define it and prove it...we will never know.

But it's interesting how this is perceived differently. Microsofts deal with Epic is almost no different than Sony deals right now with BB, The Order and Until Dawn, the only difference is they took ownership of the IP after it released then before.

One is "paying studios to think up ip" and the other is "collaboratave".

lol

Saying we want co-op and we get to decide because we're giving you money is not a collaborative effort. If I was a billionaire and a studio wanted to make a movie and I said 'That actor is actually really good, give her more screentime and a bigger role' and she becomes a major hit. I can take some credit but it's by no means a 'collaborative' effort. The studio still did all the direction, lighting, cinematography, editing etc. 

BB, Order and Until Dawn are exactly the same as Microsoft with Halo, Gears etc. 

But a lot of Sony's flagship IP's are things created by their internal, owned studios. Like Uncharted, GT, Infamous, God of War, LBP, Killzone (Horizon is looking to kick Killzone's ass though) Driveclub, Motorstorm (if we evern get another one) Never mind going back in time and looking at Jak and Daxter, Crash team Ico's games etc. 

It is literally undeniable Microsoft have a similar level of IP created from their own internal studios. The only big one I can think of is Forza.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Abun said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They own Recore, Quantum Break and Scalebound. If it was left to Microsofts devices to make those games themselves, yes they would tank, but Microsoft could create a badass studio with the money they have and create a great game. The potential is always there. Sony learned that lesson back in the 90's.

No,they don't own any of them.Notice MS said Recore is coming first to Xbox and remedy own's their won games just like Alan Wake.Why would they own these games but not Ryse or Sunset? They won't push any like Halo or Gears either way though.

First party does not just mean made by a first party developer. It means the publisher owns the Intellectual property to the product. Ryse and Sunset Overdrive are third party titles where the intellectual property is owned by the third party. They went to Microsoft for a publisher and Microsoft needed exclusives so everybody won there.

This mostly lip service. The truth of the matter is MS is spending less on Xbox, so they can't really afford to make those 3rd party deals anymore, which usually leads to Sony picking them up. So, they're not actually spending anymore on 1st party, they're just spending less on 3rd party deals.

However, I will give them credit that when faced with these cuts, they choose to not cut 1st party investment.

Around the Network

MS needs new first party IP's ( AAA ) bad. I know they want the XB1 to be like the 360, but its not gonna happen if you just copy and paste from last gen.

Abun said:
Snoopy said:

Don't bother with them. They're obviously Playstation fans. I guess Recore, Scalebound, Halo, Gears, Forza,Fable,Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, Sea of Theives, Crackdown and more isn't a sign of Microsoft building a great first party lineup. Not to say Sony isn't ,but still.  Microsoft still does third party deals like Madden and fallout. They just rather put more emphasis on first party games.

Recore,Scalebound and Quantum Break asre not owned by MS.Just like Alan Wake,which Remedy said the sequel could go to PS4 depending on the publisher.Killer Instinct already existed way before the Xbox and is just a download fighting game not on par with the likes of MK and SF.Sea of thoeves looks like a lame free to play game from a developer that has turned to crap.Really you are just naming games even though they are un proven and the same games like Halo,Fable,Gears and Crackdown are already established so it is easy to do sequels as you see  with the milking of Fable.MS lacks the pedigree that Sony and Nintendo has when it comes to first party and that is the truth.

Let me scratch what's wrong with your comment.

Goatseye said:
Abun said:

So you are claiming that MS owns Alan Wake and the Killer Instinct didn't exist before the Xbox? That's quite bold.

Edit: Also unrelated to Goatseye, but at what point does ignorance become trolling?

I guess that people seem to forget that almost all of Sony's big studios were bought Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch and Media Molecule.

DerNebel said:
Goatseye said:
Abun said:

So you are claiming that MS owns Alan Wake and the Killer Instinct didn't exist before the Xbox? That's quite bold.

His knowledge of IP ownership is atrocious. And you backing him up on that is bold as well.