By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Destiny: The Taken King Limited Edition Bundle: Is Sony preparing for a price drop in the US and Canada?

Hmm weird that Amazon UK actually has that same bundle even more expensive than the limited Arkham Knight edition

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Machiavellian said:
I would question with the sales the PS4 is doing why they would even need to drop the price. I can see a temporary Holiday type of drop to prepare for when MS does the same but permanent seems crazy.

Because sales are stagnant. Look at this graph of U.S. sales according to the NPD:

The PS4 is down about 27k units, or about 1.7%, effectively flat year-over-year, and that's with the supply issues in early 2014 and with June 2015 getting an assist from the Batman bundle.

But look at the PS2. It got its first price cut in May 2002, dropping from $300 to $200 ($398 down to $265 in 2015 U.S. dollars), and as a consequence it received a substantial boost. Overall Q2-Q4 sales in 2002 were up 41.3% YoY, and that boost persisted into 2003, with Q1 '03 being up 18.2% over Q1 '02 and Q2 '03 being about flat from Q2 '02.

Even in Europe the PS4 is up only about 13% YoY according to VGC, which isn't a lot. The only major region the PS4 is doing considerably better YoY is in Japan; while total YoY sales are flat so far, the system launched in February of last year, selling over 300k its first week, but comparing sales from Week 11 onwards, the PS4 is doing much better in Japan than it was doing in the same period last year. Of course, considering where the PS4 was in Japan last year, that's not saying much.

The PS4 is selling well considering that it doesn't have the absolute market dominance the PS2 had (the XBO is putting up a big fight in the U.S., and in Japan the Wii U and PS4 are proportionally closer to each other than in the West), but it's not exactly the fastest-selling console ever if you ignore its launch quarter (which was the best for any console ever). If Sony wants to grow the PS4's sales, they need to issue a price cut, preferably to $300.

Why would you do this?

PS4 has already got a price cut here. I bought my PS4 for $649 with InFamous Second Son bundled. Now we see PS4 bundles with GoWIII remastered and another game for $599.

For the first time in, well I think forever, the PS console here is cheaper than the PS console in the USA. And that's even with sales tax added on the NZ side and sales taxes excluded on the US side. The NZ dollar has dropped vs the US dollar recently, so $399 US = $603NZ. So if you come to NZ you can buy a PS4 and save $4+tax. Only problem is I think you'll blow up your PS4 as soon as you plug it in because we are on AC and you are on DC. Or does the power brick in the PS4 mean that 240AC vs 120DC doesn't matter?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Shadow1980 said:
NatureOfLogic said:
Shadow1980 said:

The PS4 is selling well considering that it doesn't have the absolute market dominance the PS2 had (the XBO is putting up a big fight in the U.S., and in Japan the Wii U and PS4 are proportionally closer to each other than in the West), but it's not exactly the fastest-selling console ever if you ignore its launch quarter (which was the best for any console ever). If Sony wants to grow the PS4's sales, they need to issue a price cut, preferably to $300.

Why would you do this?

Because launch quarters don't mean much in the long run. Compare this:

To this:

The N64 kicked ass its first 15 months, and is still the fourth fastest-selling system ever through the first full calendar year. The Dreamcast, GameCube, and original Xbox all had great debuts as well. It still didn't make these systems dominant in the long run. Meanwhile, the 360 and PS1 both had pitiful launches comparatively speaking (their first years weren't anything to write home about, either), yet the PS1 went on to surpass the NES and the 360 went on to become the second best-selling system ever in the U.S. Launches are largely irrelevant when discussing long-term sales because they are rarely congruent with overall lifetime performance.

The PS4 is doing well, but it could be doing a lot better, and it's not going to be a huge success in the long run if it stays at $400. It needs a price cut ASAP. TGS and the Paris Games Show are the two likeliest venues for Sony to announce one, so we should expect to hear something at one of those events. And if they want the PS4 to really blow up the sales charts, they should cut it to $300.

Inrteresting that pretty much none of the previous generations maintained the relative sales of the launch Q, but this generation does seem to have maintined that relativity: PS4 slightoly ahead of Xb one, Wii U way behind. That was the picture for the launch Qs, and it is the picture now.

Last generation was very unusual because all consoles (including hand helds) did very well. This generation is unusual because the sales die has basically been cast right from launch. And that isn't just for the USA, it's actually for pretty much all markets individually and for worldwide. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

This is good news for me, can't wait for that PS4 Destiny bundle.

Around the Network

I've been on the "drop to 300" train for a while. I want to shout "ps2 all over again baby", it's fun. Let me do it Sony.

this topic is wasted effort

CAD prices, like AUD are no way any hint or related to pricepoints or pricecuts for the whole word or us / eu territories
everyone who lives there know this stuff and the fucked up currency exchange rates etc

If Sony Drops the price, i estimate that MS will be forced to drop the price of the One, even further. If they don't they'll never stand a chance at catching up, especially if they can't do so now, with the system being $50 cheaper for so long.

I'm still surprised that Sony didn't announce a price drop at E3 last month.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
If Sony Drops the price, i estimate that MS will be forced to drop the price of the One, even further. If they don't they'll never stand a chance at catching up, especially if they can't do so now, with the system being $50 cheaper for so long.

You realize that no matter what Microsoft does there will always be people who still think they will never be able to catch up.