By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think NX will be below, equal, or above the power of PS4?

How will NX fare in comparison to the PS4?

Below in power 297 32.21%

Equal power 99 10.74%

More powerful 108 11.71%

Very weak in comparison to PS4 67 7.27%

A little weaker 128 13.88%

Very powerful in comparison to PS4 30 3.25%

A little more powerful 106 11.50%

Like 2 WiiUs duct taped together 87 9.44%

Total:922
zorg1000 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Going by nintendo's history of console and handheld releases, Nintendo for the most part follows a pattern or schedule. There's no reason for them to release hardware early. If they shorten their present hardware gen because of bad sales, it will only lower the percieved value in owning nintendo hardware.

What trend are u using for handhelds? Gameboy went 12 years without a successor, GBA 3.5 years, DS 6.5 years, there is absolutely no way to predict when 3DS will get a successor based on previous generations.

Go back and look at previous console support from Nintendo after the 4th year. N64/GC/Wii each had a whopping 2-3 semi-major titles release in the 5th year, do u really think Wii U owners will be mad because they missed out in 2-3 games over the course of 1-2 years?

The nintendo handheld gens are alot longer than consoles generally. That fits right along with 2016 being too early but you could be right with a handheld releasing then but I highly doubt it.

If it's true nintendo only supports their consoles with 2 to 3 games in their consoles' last half of its lifecycle then nintendo fans have a lot to be mad over than a handful of games because nintendo should be pumping out alot more games to support it's fans.  

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

What trend are u using for handhelds? Gameboy went 12 years without a successor, GBA 3.5 years, DS 6.5 years, there is absolutely no way to predict when 3DS will get a successor based on previous generations.

Go back and look at previous console support from Nintendo after the 4th year. N64/GC/Wii each had a whopping 2-3 semi-major titles release in the 5th year, do u really think Wii U owners will be mad because they missed out in 2-3 games over the course of 1-2 years?

The nintendo handheld gens are alot longer than consoles generally. That fits right along with 2016 being too early but you could be right with a handheld releasing then but I highly doubt it.

If it's true nintendo only supports their consoles with 2 to 3 games in their consoles' last half of its lifecycle then nintendo fans have a lot to be mad over than a handful of games because nintendo should be pumping out alot more games to support it's fans.  

Ur making stuff up again, other than the original Gameboy what Nintendo handheld had a much longer generation? GBA was over 2 years shorter than GC, DS was a few months longer than Wii. Ur claim is based on absolutely nothing.

So how about skip that last year that has little support and go right into the next generation instead of wasting that time catering to a small audience? People will get over the slightly shorter lifespan if the successor is awesome.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Ur making stuff up again, other than the original Gameboy what Nintendo handheld had a much longer generation? GBA was over 2 years shorter than GC, DS was a few months longer than Wii. Ur claim is based on absolutely nothing.

So how about skip that last year that has little support and go right into the next generation instead of wasting that time catering to a small audience? People will get over the slightly shorter lifespan if the successor is awesome.

Let me spell this out for nice and slow for ya. For the majority of nintendo handheld there's 7 years or longer in between them. 

GB released 1989
GBA released  2001
DS released  2004
3DS released 2011

Who's making shit up? 

To bolded part, what if the successor to the wii u turns out to be another wii u?

Moving unto the next gen early doesn't mean all of the problems that plagued the wii u will be fixed with a new console or won't transfer to the new console.

If you and others want more games, why don't you just ask nintendo to make more games for this gen's console? 

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Let me spell this out for nice and slow for ya. For the majority of nintendo handheld there's 7 years or longer in between them. 

GB released 1989
GBA released  2001
DS released  2004
3DS released 2011

Who's making shit up? 

To bolded part, what if the successor to the wii u turns out to be another wii u?

Moving unto the next gen early doesn't mean all of the problems that plagued the wii u will be fixed with a new console or won't transfer to the new console.

If you and others want more games, why don't you just ask nintendo to make more games for this gen's console? 

DS was Nov 2004 to Feb 2011, that's 6 years and 3 months, so Gameboy is the only to have over 7 years. Like I said ur making things up.

That's why I said IF, of course if the successor makes the same mistakes or creates brand new ones than it will be in a bad situation, what I'm saying is if it's a well thought out device with a strong and well executed strategy that doesn't make a bunch of mistakes than people will forgive & forget that Nintendo gave Wii U a slightly shorter than average cycle.

I'm not talking about my personal preference, I would be more than fine if Nintendo just continued pumping out 3DS & Wii U games for the next few years, I'm talking about them as a company. They can't continue to support a device that sells a mere 3 million/year that doesn't move a lot of software with the exception of a few titles, that plus 3DS hardware/software sales declining every year, this year is set to be the worst in something 20 years and next year will be worse. Also consider a few things Iwata said, in May 2014 he said it would be about 2 years for them to reinvent gaming and he has promised "Nintendo-like profits" (100 billion yen/$800 million) for next fiscal year. Don't those 2 statements kinda support the idea of new hardware in 2016?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
Dusk said:

First off, the Wii U has nothing to do with the PS3 or the Xbox 360. Each console is taken at its own merits as for price so your comparison is complete BS.

It's about the PRICE POINT and inflation, not comparison or else you would be comparing the X1, PS4 to the PS3 and 360 as well as the Wii and Wii U since they are all on the market at the same time. The PS3 and 360 were far more than that when they released to the market, so were the X1 and PS4.

Yes, the Wii U had a higher price point than they wanted, not in comparison to anything, but just more than they wanted. Do you see the difference?

The NX will be what it will be. My guess is more powerful than both because of the issues they have run into with the Wii U, Nintendo is not a stupid company but they also aren't going to just go ball deep into the power battle either, plus it's also 2 years later than the release of the others and tech has jumped quite a bit since then. The ability to be more powerful and cheaper is very attainable for them if they choose that approach.

You talk about facts but don't actually give any. There are a couple quotes that relate directly to the Wii U. Affordability and novel technology can be a wide array of anything. It could be a hybrid system. It could be a new VR tech. It could be a new AR tech. It could be something we haven't seen yet. Now with the quote "rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use." can easily be the most powerful console since it isn't actually ruling it out. It could be throwing the competition off their track, like normal. Either way, power has little to do with affordability. If that were the case then hand held consoles wouldn't be a thing since they are far below in terms of power.

If we look at the facts, we really don't know what to expect from Nintendo. They do their own thing. We aren't going to know what we are going to get till it's released.

My comparison is complete BS!?

Wii U arrived on market just year before new consoles from MS/Sony, and in comparison with they current consoles it performed and games (launch games) looked worst, that alone wouldnt be a such a problem, but problem is that Wii U was around $100/150 more expensive in that time. New console with games that performed and look worse than on current ones with $100/150 higher price!? WTF!?  This are all facts, but maybe you cant see them..

Like I wrote, the Wii U had a higher price point than they wanted and it was their first console on which they were losing money, so clearly they had some problems because they couldn't have lower price point, and they will clearly correct that mistake with new hardware.

Nothing Nintendo mentioned dont indicates that NX will be stronger than PS4, on the contrary, all point that they are making new Wii. Wii U in comparison with Wii completely failed, it was not affordable and gimmick failed.

"What we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use."

We already know that Miyamoto think that Wii U had high price, also we all know Wii had very afordiable price in comparision with Xbox360/PS3, so statmant "at a price that everybody can afford" clearly indicates lower price in comparison with PS4/Xbox One, probably around $250.

In that statement "rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console" they clearly saying we are not going for most powerful console.

This are all facts, like I wrote, but maybe you dont see them..

No you didn't write facts actually. You copied a couple quotes that don't have direct reference to the NX, just generalizations of Nintendo's views and how they have done things. This neither says that they will continue to do the same or not. You are allowing your assumptions to guide your views. As I stated before, they haven't actually counted anything out. "Rather than going after the high-end tech spec race", doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't going to do it, it could just mean that isn't the main goal.

Again, yes, Miyamoto said that about the Wii U. But you keep comparing it when it wasn't a comparative statement. It was a statement in relation to the Wii U. He didn't say that the Wii U wasn't a price that everybody couldn't afford, he said "So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted". Again, that's for the Wii U, and it is only relative to that particular system. "But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford." That is a general statment about Nintendo as a whole and their vision for consoles in general. 

Almost everything you wrote are assumptions, not facts.

What do we know about the NX right now? That it's a system Nintendo is working on that is called the "NX". Anything beyond that is speculation and rumor. Like you said, "Nothing Nintendo mentioned dont indicates that NX will be stronger than PS4", however they also haven't said it would be weaker. It might not even be a home console from what we know at this point.

Anyway... I'm done.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

DS was Nov 2004 to Feb 2011, that's 6 years and 3 months, so Gameboy is the only to have over 7 years. Like I said ur making things up.

That's why I said IF, of course if the successor makes the same mistakes or creates brand new ones than it will be in a bad situation, what I'm saying is if it's a well thought out device with a strong and well executed strategy that doesn't make a bunch of mistakes than people will forgive & forget that Nintendo gave Wii U a slightly shorter than average cycle.

I'm not talking about my personal preference, I would be more than fine if Nintendo just continued pumping out 3DS & Wii U games for the next few years, I'm talking about them as a company. They can't continue to support a device that sells a mere 3 million/year that doesn't move a lot of software with the exception of a few titles, that plus 3DS hardware/software sales declining every year, this year is set to be the worst in something 20 years and next year will be worse. Also consider a few things Iwata said, in May 2014 he said it would be about 2 years for them to reinvent gaming and he has promised "Nintendo-like profits" (100 billion yen/$800 million) for next fiscal year. Don't those 2 statements kinda support the idea of new hardware in 2016?

I want to add something in regards to the GB, it as a platform going for as long as it did is down to the GBC filling in for the delayed GBA, the GBC even though it's a version of the GB was essentially a new platform altogether. 

Dusk said:
Miyamotoo said:

My comparison is complete BS!?

Wii U arrived on market just year before new consoles from MS/Sony, and in comparison with they current consoles it performed and games (launch games) looked worst, that alone wouldnt be a such a problem, but problem is that Wii U was around $100/150 more expensive in that time. New console with games that performed and look worse than on current ones with $100/150 higher price!? WTF!?  This are all facts, but maybe you cant see them..

Like I wrote, the Wii U had a higher price point than they wanted and it was their first console on which they were losing money, so clearly they had some problems because they couldn't have lower price point, and they will clearly correct that mistake with new hardware.

Nothing Nintendo mentioned dont indicates that NX will be stronger than PS4, on the contrary, all point that they are making new Wii. Wii U in comparison with Wii completely failed, it was not affordable and gimmick failed.

"What we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use."

We already know that Miyamoto think that Wii U had high price, also we all know Wii had very afordiable price in comparision with Xbox360/PS3, so statmant "at a price that everybody can afford" clearly indicates lower price in comparison with PS4/Xbox One, probably around $250.

In that statement "rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console" they clearly saying we are not going for most powerful console.

This are all facts, like I wrote, but maybe you dont see them..

No you didn't write facts actually. You copied a couple quotes that don't have direct reference to the NX, just generalizations of Nintendo's views and how they have done things. This neither says that they will continue to do the same or not. You are allowing your assumptions to guide your views. As I stated before, they haven't actually counted anything out. "Rather than going after the high-end tech spec race", doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't going to do it, it could just mean that isn't the main goal.

Again, yes, Miyamoto said that about the Wii U. But you keep comparing it when it wasn't a comparative statement. It was a statement in relation to the Wii U. He didn't say that the Wii U wasn't a price that everybody couldn't afford, he said "So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted". Again, that's for the Wii U, and it is only relative to that particular system. "But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford." That is a general statment about Nintendo as a whole and their vision for consoles in general. 

Almost everything you wrote are assumptions, not facts.

What do we know about the NX right now? That it's a system Nintendo is working on that is called the "NX". Anything beyond that is speculation and rumor. Like you said, "Nothing Nintendo mentioned dont indicates that NX will be stronger than PS4", however they also haven't said it would be weaker. It might not even be a home console from what we know at this point.

Anyway... I'm done.

We all know for some time that Nintendo working on new hardware, and all Nintendo talk about their hardware philosophy and plans indirectly applies to NX, that don't mean that everything they said will be aplied to NX, but most of things that they said very likely.

If they said, "most powerful console is not their goal, that they want affordable and unique console, and that Wii U had higher price than they wanted", that clearly indicates that chances are much higher that NX will not be most powerful console on market and it will have affordable price (lower than Wii U), instead of that NX will be stronger console than PS4 with $350 price or higher.

Yes, we don't know anything for sure except NX code name, but based on what Nintendo said (or other infos) we can assume what can NX will be, and like I wrote nothing indicates that NX will be most powerful console on market with not affordable price.