By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayTV Review

PlayTV

Sony has talked up the multimedia capabilities of the PlayStation 3 since before it was launched - but it is only now that those promises are being met.

Later this year Sony will launch an add-on that will let PS3 owners watch digital TV via their console: PlayTV is a small black box which connects to a USB port on the machine and has an aerial port in (and a pass through port) to pick up digital terrestrial signals.

I had a chance to play with PlayTV at Sony's UK offices on Wednesday. The hardware itself is uninteresting - it's the software and features that are worth talking about.

It's a very slick piece of user interface design. The Electronic Programme Guide and menu systems are well designed and laid out and the whole experience is certainly simple enough that PlayTV could be used as a main Freeview system in the home.

Just like a PVR, you can pause and rewind live TV, as well as record programmes. The PlayTV has a dual tuner so you can record one channel while watching another.

At the moment you can't record TV in the background while playing a game on the PS3 but I'm told the software developers are working hard to add the feature. If it isn't available at launch, the feature could be added later as a software update.

But the really interesting feature is the ability to watch TV on your PlayStation Portable from anywhere in the world using PlayTV, turning the PS3 into a Slingbox on steroids.

RemotePlay allows PSP users to access their PlayStation 3's over a wi-fi connection, either on a local network or over the internet.

You can already watch videos stored on your PS3's hard drive - but with PlayTV you can now watch live TV, programmes you've recorded to the hard drive or schedule programmes to be recorded in the future.

Cleverly, if you know you are likely to stick with one channel for a period of time - if you are watching live sport or a film, for example - you can increase the buffering on the PSP to improve picture quality. And it makes a real difference.

The developers have worked hard to keep the whole operation as simple as possible so that even casual users can get live TV up and running on their PS3 quickly.

It will be interesting to see how much marketing effort is put behind PlayTV because this kind of feature is a real competitive advantage over Xbox 360, which offers nothing remotely similar.

It is also another strong feature for the PSP which is beginning to flourish as a handheld device once again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/ps3_takes_on_slingbox_and_wins.html

Looks like this will be a nice additional feature to the PS3 anyway :D 

Around the Network

If only this would ever come to North America.

mM

Another link!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/play-tv-on-ps3-explained-292541.php

How much will this cost?

As zuhyc says, the question is cost, I am a little short on money anyway, especially as I want a 360, and the possibility of getting a Sony bravia with built in freeview is putting me off it

Around the Network

nice

leo-j said:
If only this would ever come to North America.

it would be completely useless in the U.S. do you know how many channels the UK get's without a freeview box like playtv? 5 channels. yes you heard, 5.

play tv will add an extra 80 or so channels at no extra cost, but it's not like cable or satelite (which would add hundreds)

I think this is a good idea for Sony, as long as the price is right!

There were rumours of it being £100 but i think Sony would shoot themselves in the foot if they release it at that price! Hopefully it will be showcased soon and a price/release date revealed :D

watch, when i tell all my friends about this, they will think its comepletely useless. a typical 360 fanboi thought.

but the question is, how much space will the recorded tv take up on your 40gb hdd?

Well really it's gonna have some tough competition CaptainPreferences if the price ain't right. It's cheap enough to get upscaling Freeview boxes with built in HDD's (with more storage than the PS3 as well I'd pop a guess at!)

Without looking into this too much I'd say that this product really shouldn't release at anymore than £50 and I'd say thats alot too. If we're talking about an upscaling freeview box without a HDD, and relying on the PS3's HDD's which by default are small in comparison to already available products, this has to be cheap to be worthwhile, it already has some drawbacks going against it's chances.

Honestly and bluntly - if the rumours of this costing £100 are true, then it DESERVES to fail horribly.