By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What gaming generation was the first console that you played?

What generation did you start with?

Gen 1 46 11.70%

Gen 2 76 19.34%

Gen 3 98 24.94%

Gen 4 54 13.74%

Gen 5 71 18.07%

Gen 6 36 9.16%

Gen 7 8 2.04%

Gen 8 1 0.25%

Other?? 3 0.76%

Total:393

NES AS home console and Gameboy AS handheld

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
ninjapirate42 said:

Hey guys, just wondering where everyone started out in terms of playing video games.

Feel free to discuss below!

Generation 3 for me. I played a hell of a lot of NES when I was younger. There's a chance I might have touched an Atari or something beforehand but I don't think so. 

Would you please add some information to the OP about the generations, a lot of people seem to be confused or seem to think that Gen 1 was Atari2600 from the comments and there is a knock on effect of that on all the gens.

Generation 1 (1972 - 1977)

Magnavox Odyssey, TV Tennis, Home Pong Systems, Coleco Telstar, Binatone TV master, Nintendo Color TV-Game.

Generation 2 (1976 - 1983)

Atari 2600, Fairchild Channel F, Bally Astrocade, Magnavox Odyssey2, Intellivision, Emerson Arcadia 2001, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Vectrex

[Gen 2 also had some Handheld systems - Milton Bradley Microvision, Nintendos Game and Watch Series, Entex Select-A-Game, Epoch Game Pocket Computer.]

Generation 3 8bit era (1983-1987)

SG-1000, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) , Sega Master System/Sega Mark III , Atari 7800, Commodore 64

Generation 4 16bit era (1987-1996)

PC-Engine, Megadrive/Genesis, Super Famicom/Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), Neo Geo AES, Philips CD-i

[Gen 4 handhelds Game Boy, Atari Lynx, Sega GameGear, TurboExpress]

Generation 5 (1993-2003)

3DO Interactive Multiplayer, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Apple Bandais Pippen

[Gen 5 handhelds - Sega Nomad, Game Boy Pocket/light/color, Neo Geo Pocket/Color, Wonderswan/color, Virtual Boy]

Generation 6 (1998-2013)

Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox

[Gen 6 handhelds - GBA/SP/Micro, Nokia N-Gage/QD]

Generation 7 (2005-)

Xbox360, Playstation 3, Wii

[Gen 7 handhelds - Nintendo DS/Lite/DSi/DSi XL, PSP series/Go

Generation 8 (2012-)

Wii-U, Playstation 4, Xbox One

[Gen 8 handhelds - Nintendo 3ds family, Playstation Vita/TV]

There we go, a brief history of gaming Gens haha. Feel free to copy paste this into the OP if you want NinjaPirate42 would rather people know which gen is which for the poll :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

First game system for me was the Atari 2600 in the Second Generation of gaming, was so amazed by it, almost sure Pole Position was one of the first if not first game played.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Well, the first console i played was The Playstation 1 (5th Gen) when i was in the Philippines me and my cousins just shared it in out huge house.

But it was the PlayStation 2, which was my first console i bought, here in Australia. I think i bought over 20 games for it. Had lots of fun.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Although I remember seeing advertisements for 1st gen consoles, I can't remember actually playing any of them. The first that I can remember playing were all 2nd gen consoles; my family had an Atari 2600, and various friends had Intellivision and ColecoVision.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Around the Network

Texas Instruments TI-99 then the Atari 2600, is that one or two?...
I'm sooooo old, haha.

Gen 5
Nintendo 64
Fire Game I ever played: Super Mario 64

Nes and Sega.

Saeko said:

Gen 1, with atari 2600 and computer with msx1, played too Metal gear and pinguin adventure my fav game on this :)

Actually the Atari 2600 is already a second generation console.  The first geration in mainly made up of various home versions of Pong and the Magnavox Odyssey.

2nd generation the first consoles I played where the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision. The first console I owned wasn't really a video game console per say since it was the Commodore 64 but I only used to play games on it.