By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Philip Pullman book.

Oh yeah, sorry, I call it The Northern Lights (that being it's UK name unlike the name of the American version, and subsequently the film of it)... so I got the third confused with it. I don't know why amber spyglass and golden compass seem similar in my head but they do (perhaps because amber is a golden colour and spyglass and compass both end in "ass"?)

I think "The Northern Lights" is a much better name anyway, it sounds wrong as "The Golden Compass", when it isn't a compass.

Around the Network

I really enjoyed the series, but I have kind of moved on, though I did see the plays at the National theatre, twice, which were excellent. One of those times the archbishop of canterbury was watching too

'His Dark Materials' is a trilogy. The first being, 'Northern Lights', second being, 'The Subtle Knife', the third being, 'The Amber Spyglass'. They are generally considered the best trilogy in recent history.

The trilogy came third in 'The big read' top 100 books of all time. Only beaten by The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Pride and Prejudice. They are definitely worth a read.

I'll buy this but I really hope he's working on a proper follow up to the Dark Materials trilogy...
It's such a shame they dumbed down the movie...bringing in the guy who brought us pie-fucking to direct was not a great decision...

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

I don't understand why they change the names of UK books for the American release. We speak the same damn language!

I mean, look at Harry Potter. For the first two (or three?) they changed every word that could be considered uncommon in America, because we might get confused. Stop patronizing us and let us learn about other cultures!