By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - This is not the first time microsoft has published third party similar to Sony's games

And most annoying part is some people really keep ignoring MS new ips in this gen.

What a terrible thread.

Around the Network

I have the feeling that future iterations of Forza will come to PC.

What IPs will stay XB1 exclusive. Just Halo?

D-Joe said:
And most annoying part is some people really keep ignoring MS new ips in this gen.

What a terrible thread.

Name the new 1st party IPs from Microsoft then, i cant think of any.

AG80 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

It's because people are attracted  to controversy. Tomb raider by name is mostly associated with playstation. Phil Spencer knew what he was doing when the deal was made for Tomb Raider. Phil admitted his reasoning for funding tomb raider because as a fan of uncharted he had no answer for he game even though he was invested in projects like uncharted and they weren't on level. Hell even EA has ripped off sonys god of war. Can't blame people but microsoft is a console  manufacturer. In this day and age being able to pump out your own  games tells your consumers about your character .  So far third get in and they still have no identity outside of superior online.

When did that happen?

I'm certain he's talking about EA's Dante's Inferno.  My friend and I played it and it honestly felt like we were playing God of War, even the story has similarities. 

AEGRO said:
D-Joe said:

What a terrible thread.

Sea of thieves is a new IP as well as project spark.

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
D-Joe said:

What a terrible thread.

Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, and Sea of Thieves. 

aLkaLiNE said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They really need to learn how to make their own ips. I will enjoy tomb raider but this is twice now.

Halo and gears are IPs that were bought from outside developers. If you look at the list of IP created or spawned from Microsoft owned studios the list Is rather paltry.

Why should a new IP have to be made by an owned studio? Sony and Nintendo have both published numerous new IPs developed by external studios, and everyone considers them "Sony/Nintendo New IPs". Why doesn't that apply to Microsoft? Why must every MS new IP have to be developed internally when that obviously isn't the case with the other two? 

Microsoft, as a company, has always been about acquisitions.  They've done it countless times in the technology sector so it's no surprise that they're doing the same with Xbox.  They certainly aren't worrying about what is best for Playstation gamers or gamers as a whole, just what's best for Xbox.  They have money and they're going to invest it in ways to benefit the brand.  That a particular property started off outside Microsoft makes no difference to them. 

As far as exclusivity deals go, there is one thing that consumers desperately need to learn--unless we know the exact terms and provisions written into the contract, we can only make guesses as to what will happen with that game in the future.  It doesn't matter if someone said the game is "partially funded" by a console manufacturer.  It doesn't matter if the game has been published by a console manufacturer.  It doesn't matter what happened with previous games that have been in similar situations.  All that matters is what was written into the contract.  Pretty much everything we do here is guesswork and speculation, which is fine, but when people pretend that they KNOW something simply based on previous examples, they're really setting themselves up to look silly.

Can a game be "partially funded" by a console maker and still end up multi-platform?  Of course, all that means on paper is that one company gave another company money.  All that matters is what contractual rights were granted and recorded in exchange for that money.

Can a game be published by a console maker and still end up multi-platform?  Of course, it simply depends on the terms of the contract as to what those publication rights entail.  You can make the publication period one week, if you wanted, though obviously no one would agree to that.

Some people really need to understand that business agreements are mutable from one situation to another.  

IamAwsome said:
AEGRO said:

Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, and Sea of Thieves. 

Aren't those games 2nd party? Just curious...

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

IamAwsome said:
AEGRO said:

I don't know about the rest but I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't own the Sunset Overdrive IP.