By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - This is not the first time microsoft has published third party similar to Sony's games

Rafie said:
IamAwsome said:

Why does it matter? Sony and NIntendo publish plenty of second party games and those are considered "Sony/Nintendo new IPs". 

As for Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac owns the IP, and that's why they went to MS. I honestly didn't know that until I looked it up just now. 

I was just asking a question I seriously didn't know the answer to. Oh and I didn't know SO was Insomniac's. I thought MS paid for that game.

Oh, well yeah those are second party games. Sorry for overreacting. 

Around the Network
Rafie said:

When a 3rd party developer develops a game exclusively for a platform, it's a first party game?

It's like this:

If Microsoft owns the rights to an IP then it is ALWAYS a first-party game, even if the game is made by a third-party developer.  That situation is often called "second party," though, as I said, that's really just short-hand.

If Microsoft does NOT own the rights to an IP then the game is third-party, even if it's an exclusive.  That just means the two companies signed an agreement to keep it exclusive.  We call it a "third-party exclusive" as short-hand.

Same for Sony or Nintendo or whomever.

IamAwsome said:
Rafie said:

I was just asking a question I seriously didn't know the answer to. Oh and I didn't know SO was Insomniac's. I thought MS paid for that game.

Oh, well yeah those are second party games. Sorry for overreacting. 

It's all good. LOL I know most people would have thought that was sarcasm. You know how folks on VGC roll! :p

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

pokoko said:
Rafie said:

When a 3rd party developer develops a game exclusively for a platform, it's a first party game?

It's like this:

If Microsoft owns the rights to an IP then it is ALWAYS a first-party game, even if the game is made by a third-party developer.  That situation is often called "second party," though, as I said, that's really just short-hand.

If Microsoft does NOT own the rights to an IP then the game is third-party, even if it's an exclusive.  That just means the two companies signed an agreement to keep it exclusive.  We call it a "third-party exclusive" as short-hand.

Same for Sony or Nintendo or whomever.

That clears everything up for me. Thank you, Pokoko. I also appreciate you taking the time to explain it in detail to me. I just don't like to assume and make false statements...like some do here on this site.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:

That clears everything up for me. Thank you, Pokoko. I also appreciate you taking the time to explain it in detail to me. I just don't like to assume and make false statements...like some do here on this site.

No problem at all.  It's good to see someone attempt to get an understanding of the subject before they start arguing.  I wish everyone would do that.

Around the Network
Rafie said:
IamAwsome said:

Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, and Sea of Thieves. 

Aren't those games 2nd party? Just curious...

Also Quantum Break. Remedy Entertainment Studios is not owned by Microsoft.

AEGRO said:
Rafie said:

Aren't those games 2nd party? Just curious...

Also Quantum Break. Remedy Entertainment Studios is not owned by Microsoft.

Quantum Break own by MS

They do still have all of Rare's amazing IP's. They could develop many more new IP's, but it seems like they think only Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable sell.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
They do still have all of Rare's amazing IP's. They could develop many more new IP's, but it seems like they think only Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable sell.

I think Fable Legends will be the last in the series and Lionhead Studios will be gearing up to unlesh a new IP with either a short teaser at next years E3 or a more indepth one at the following years. Also expecting a new IP to be announced at gamescom by Twisted Pixel which im really looking forward to finding out.

WoodenPints said:
MoHasanie said:

I think Fable Legends will be the last in the series and Lionhead Studios will be gearing up to unlesh a new IP with either a short teaser at next years E3 or a more indepth one at the following years. Also expecting a new IP to be announced at gamescom by Twisted Pixel which im really looking forward to finding out.

I hope so. The new Fable will probably flop. I think MS needs to also give Forza a break. Perhaps tell Turn 10 to make a kart racer or something else. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54