By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cars for Wii U Officially Cancelled

^^
He won't ever answer you, he's been permabanned. And I suspect he wouldn't have backed his rants with solid facts anyway. I'm quite sure that saying Wii U is just a little more powerful than PS3 and XB360 isn't correct and it's excessively harsh towards Wii U, but even if it were almost as powerful as PS4 and XBOne, at least CPU-wise, far smaller RAM could make all that power fully usable only when games are small enough, wasting its potential in the largest ones. With scalable graphics engines, OTOH, weaker GPU and smaller graphics RAM aren't a problem, as long as graphics are good enough for the target, if graphics performances are above the minimum that can handle the scalable engines used during the console's current gen.

PS: But all this means that a game can be cancelled not only if it's too large to be handled by Wii U RAM, but also if the intended target demands graphics beyond its capabilities (or at least if the devs or the publishers think so), so the hurdles between 3rd party multiplats and a Wii U version can be bigger than those caused by purely technical reasons, and with a user base not big this can hit 3rd party library really bad.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

@ bolded: Care to explain why? The Wii U is a powerful console capable of producing beautiful looking games, but I don't see how you can say it's near PS4 or XB1 power level, because if it was I would imagine there would be a lot more third party games on it. I do however think it has a lot of untapped potential left in it though. 

So you think if the WiiU was as powerful as the PS4 and XB1 3rd parties would suddenly just make games for it?   Even though it has a much different

architecture than the other two?  Care to provide some proof for that?   And, are you also assuming that third parties have been maxing out

the XB1 and PS4 to the point WiiU cant handle certain gameplay mechanics or necessary visual effects?  

Looking at the game now, it's obvious the Wii U couldn't handle what we have now considering the ps4/xb1 versions have problem achieving 60fps. The Wii U is comparable to ps3/xb360 so if those versions were cancelled, the logical route was to cancel the Wii U version as well. The things that doesn't sense is that they said they had a version running well so I guess either that was a completely different version before ps4/xb1 released or they have been lying all this time. Hard to know the truth.

MDX said:

@ bolded: Care to explain why? The Wii U is a powerful console capable of producing beautiful looking games, but I don't see how you can say it's near PS4 or XB1 power level, because if it was I would imagine there would be a lot more third party games on it. I do however think it has a lot of untapped potential left in it though. 

So you think if the WiiU was as powerful as the PS4 and XB1 3rd parties would suddenly just make games for it?   Even though it has a much different

architecture than the other two?  Care to provide some proof for that?   And, are you also assuming that third parties have been maxing out

the XB1 and PS4 to the point WiiU cant handle certain gameplay mechanics or necessary visual effects?  

During 7th gen PC/console multiplats weren't by any means rare, although PC was x86, like PS4 and XBOne, but all of the three consoles had POWER or PowerPC based CPUs. PS3 was harder to develop for due to its SPEs, but porting between general purpose CPU architectures isn't too hard, unless a dev bypassed HAL, drivers, standard libraries and SDK and went very low-level on a particular architecture, a thing nowadays very unusual except for kernels, other OS components, drivers, system libraries and system utilities.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Why did it take so long for Zero to make an account and reply to the posts in here?....
He's getting old.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

^^
He won't ever answer you, he's been permabanned. And I suspect he wouldn't have backed his rants with solid facts anyway. I'm quite sure that saying Wii U is just a little more powerful than PS3 and XB360 isn't correct and it's excessively harsh towards Wii U, but even if it were almost as powerful as PS4 and XBOne, at least CPU-wise, far smaller RAM could make all that power fully usable only when games are small enough, wasting its potential in the largest ones. With scalable graphics engines, OTOH, weaker GPU and smaller graphics RAM aren't a problem, as long as graphics are good enough for the target, if graphics performances are above the minimum that can handle the scalable engines used during the console's current gen.

PS: But all this means that a game can be cancelled not only if it's too large to be handled by Wii U RAM, but also if the intended target demands graphics beyond its capabilities (or at least if the devs or the publishers think so), so the hurdles between 3rd party multiplats and a Wii U version can be bigger than those caused by purely technical reasons, and with a user base not big this can hit 3rd party library really bad.

I know he's permabanned, but he was an alt account. And this person has made several alt accounts from what i've seen so I won't be surprised if he makes another and responds back.

Also I never said the Wii U was just a little more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, I agree that saying that is overly harsh for those that do. But it is more of an in-between console in the sense that it is quite more powerful than the 360 and PS3 but not as much as the PS4 and Xbox One. Like I said, games look beautiful on the Wii U though so regardless of power it doesn't make a difference since the games look great. 

MDX said:

Both of those things I never said.

1. I said that if the Wii U was more powerful than what it is right now I assume there would be more 3rd party support BECAUSE of statements made in the past. Metro: Last Light was supposed to release on the Wii U but the developers didn't because they said the CPU was shit just for one example.

2. No console will ever be maxed out in just their first few years. The fact of the matter is that even for some PS4/XB1 games that easily could get a Wii U version, what is the point if it probably won't make a profit for them in the end?

Angelv577 said:

Looking at the game now, it's obvious the Wii U couldn't handle what we have now considering the ps4/xb1 versions have problem achieving 60fps. The Wii U is comparable to ps3/xb360 so if those versions were cancelled, the logical route was to cancel the Wii U version as well. The things that doesn't sense is that they said they had a version running well so I guess either that was a completely different version before ps4/xb1 released or they have been lying all this time. Hard to know the truth.

the delusion that never ends.

Barozi said:
Why did it take so long for Zero to make an account and reply to the posts in here?....
He's getting old.

Unlike nintendo haters and trolls, I actually have a life and shit to do.

Zero alt removed -RavenXtra

hyrule warriors does run on the 3ds. Just saying people.

Its not the "weak wii u hardware".
Its just that this game wont sell enough to justify the development cost of an port.

It would bring more cash to port the game to mobile or 7th gen then to wii u (where it probl would sell worse then watchdogs).