By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@Arkk just an off topic question, is that your car? If it is nice wheels dude.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Arkk said:
I have one gripe with the game so far (i'm 20 hours in). The character designs (besides Kaim) are pretty damn stragne looking. Each woman character has monster knockers, and one specific female character has a vainy giant chest LOL!!!! The characters are crazy (mostly), but they are still lovable which is good.

The character designs are great, especially if you consider the concept artwork for the characters which look even better

Oh, the concept art was gorgeous (and I looked at the various sketchs Inoue did for Kaim, suh-weet! Though strangely, not as much as for the other characters...)

Jansen's clothes don't seem to fit his personality, but he besides it being a little baggy, you realize he makes it work. As for the women, Seth is perfectly fine and her boobs are NORMAL (speaking as a girl myself, trust me, they're fine(.

The other two women are a little off...one has clothes (or lack thereof for that matter) that don't fit her personality or role in the gameworld at all, and the other, her clothes can fit, except for the big gaping breasts exposing hole in the center like some giant target.

MontanaHatchet said:
Nice review, although I must say that people sound like total dicks when they say the word "JRPG" at every opportunity.

I specify JPRG because:

1. JRPGs aren't really RPGs. They're too linear and never offer enough choice to be a real "role-playing game".

2. WRPGs are vastly different games that are somehow clumped into roughly the same genre as JRPGs.

3. If I mention RPG by itself, I feel obligated to include all RPGs into the comparison. That's not fair to any of the sub-genres. They're far too different to ever be clumped together. 

4. There is nothing wrong with using the term JRPG.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Krusnik said:
@Arkk just an off topic question, is that your car? If it is nice wheels dude.

I live in Canada, where an import has to be 15 years or older before you can aquire it. So no, that isn't my car. But I did have a 91 GT-R for a bit that my father and I built up (crazy fast). Just sold that recently and bought myself a Altima 3.5 coupe.

Just kiss the tip.

Byakko said:
Riachu said:
Arkk said:
I have one gripe with the game so far (i'm 20 hours in). The character designs (besides Kaim) are pretty damn stragne looking. Each woman character has monster knockers, and one specific female character has a vainy giant chest LOL!!!! The characters are crazy (mostly), but they are still lovable which is good.

The character designs are great, especially if you consider the concept artwork for the characters which look even better

Oh, the concept art was gorgeous (and I looked at the various sketchs Inoue did for Kaim, suh-weet! Though strangely, not as much as for the other characters...)

Jansen's clothes don't seem to fit his personality, but he besides it being a little baggy, you realize he makes it work. As for the women, Seth is perfectly fine and her boobs are NORMAL (speaking as a girl myself, trust me, they're fine(.

The other two women are a little off...one has clothes (or lack thereof for that matter) that don't fit her personality or role in the gameworld at all, and the other, her clothes can fit, except for the big gaping breasts exposing hole in the center like some giant target.

Let me change what I said a bit. I think Kaim AND Seth are both very good character designs. I think the one woman is okay too (like i said, besides the huge, vainy cleavage). The kids are both endearing in character, but the outfits are ridiculous, as is the third woman you meet along the way.

PS. I am ommitting names for the sake of people that don't want anything spoiled. You can never be too careful.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Nice review, although I must say that people sound like total dicks when they say the word "JRPG" at every opportunity.

I specify JPRG because:

1. JRPGs aren't really RPGs. They're too linear and never offer enough choice to be a real "role-playing game".

2. WRPGs are vastly different games that are somehow clumped into roughly the same genre as JRPGs.

3. If I mention RPG by itself, I feel obligated to include all RPGs into the comparison. That's not fair to any of the sub-genres. They're far too different to ever be clumped together.

4. There is nothing wrong with using the term JRPG.

I don't see how JRPGs aren't really RPGs. Essentially, you play RPGs to play a role. Well, you are given that role as a protagonist in a JRPG, with the only difference being a definite canon to the events in the game. Many RPG games, while purporting to give you complete freedom, end up still gimping you with a basic shell of structured history and ultimately your 'role in the universe'. There are those that strike an effective balance, like in Bioware's games, but I'd prefer to dispense with all the pretense and get a fully established protagonist to play through as.

Also, how is an Action-RPG any different, or even worse,  than a JRPG? Their RPG elements are laughable, and can be practically ignored.

Though I can't argue that JRPGs can be effectively described as interactive mangas/anime, all things considered, but done right I don't see it as a detriment. In fact, it appears to help in the games longevity if it follows a fully structured and defnitive story canon. It has helped the Final Fantasy series immensely over the years, with FFVII being their greatest success for following this model.

Enjoy the first disc. It was my favorite.

Although, I'm close to the end and its starting to pick up from the average second and third discs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Arkk said:
Byakko said:
Riachu said:
Arkk said:

Jansen's clothes don't seem to fit his personality, but he besides it being a little baggy, you realize he makes it work. As for the women, Seth is perfectly fine and her boobs are NORMAL (speaking as a girl myself, trust me, they're fine(.The other two women are a little off...one has clothes (or lack thereof for that matter) that don't fit her personality or role in the gameworld at all, and the other, her clothes can fit, except for the big gaping breasts exposing hole in the center like some giant target.

Let me change what I said a bit. I think Kaim AND Seth are both very good character designs. I think the one woman is okay too (like i said, besides the huge, vainy cleavage). The kids are both endearing in character, but the outfits are ridiculous, as is the third woman you meet along the way.

PS. I am ommitting names for the sake of people that don't want anything spoiled. You can never be too careful.

Ai, that's why I wanted to comment about Kaim being able to reap the benefits of the 3rd woman's outfit, but couldn't really say anything because, well, spoilers =/

Anyway, design-wise, I actually really like the 3rd woman's outfit for some reason. Sure, it isn't as heck practical, but somehow, I like how it looks. Except for the giant hole in the center that doesn't have any reason to be there, but yeah.

As for the 2nd woman, I just don't see how or why she'd wear her outfit as it is. It's kind of disconcerting when the camera pans behind her and you see she's wearing a thong... 

To me I felt like the game kicked in just towards the end of Disc 1(so yeah about hour 6) and after that it was pure gold straight through with plenty of comedy and sad stories and character filler. There's enough to do to keep you busy for a LONG time. I'm at the very last fight but I've been lazy as I got brawl a few days after getting to that point.

Lost Odyssey is a really good game. My favorite "next-gen" RPG by far (although many on the ps2 are better--not graphically though).

This game was really underestimated by reviewers that are just hardcore, shooter lovers.

The story isn't LO's strong point though--it's the character development. The story stays fairly bland and slow and "non-epic" throughout, but you learn to love the characters which more than makes up for it.

The graphics and art direction are great. Sure it has frame rate problems and often has "stutters" when loading battles, but it is still the most advanced RPG graphically by far.

My biggest complaint is that there isn't really any power-leveling (which I love to do in FF games--hence, 185 hours on FFXII). You have a cap on each stage which limits the leveling up you can do (unless you're content with 1 experience point per battle!)

Overall, if you own a 360, you need to buy this game for sure. An 8.25-8.5/10 from an RPG FREAKOID!

If you have a 360 and like JRPG's you need to buy this game. Much better than Blue Dragon in my opinion (way too childish), and I actually prefer it over Mass Effect and Oblivion too.

Note: I'm on Disc 4...could beat it, but I'm trying to get 1,000 achievement points first!

MUST BUY IF YOU HAVE A 360 AND LIKE JRPG'S!

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450